E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i N54 E92 Coolant Color....

03-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Angry 335i N54 E92 Coolant Color....

Dear Friends,

I realized 2 annoying aspects of my N54 engine today:

1- NO Oil Cooler....OEM 800 Bucks for the full kit (((...I will order a new performance OEM OC since Im the unlucky kind that came without one. Beirut has a hot climate so a OC is important.

2- Coolant color! Off White slugish color...called my mechanic and he told me about contamination even though his sound background was loud in his garage. Car drives great and never goes above 250 C, but I am sure my coolant should not be bubbly sticky white goo...any pro pointers?

Thanks
BB
08 335i MSPORT & PR PKG/aFe St2 DCI/AA BOV kit +DP/SprintBooster Stage 2/Avant Garde 19 rims/ HNK V12 Pro Tires/BMS Wheel Spacers/ E92 M F n B kit incl blk kidney grills and sensors/Afe mach Exhaust. M3 skirts, DNA map 3
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
"Bubbly white sticky goo" is not a good description for coolant. Your coolant could be overheating which may mean your water pump is failing. Or oil could be leaking into your coolant via your head gasket.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
"Bubbly white sticky goo" is not a good description for coolant. Your coolant could be overheating which may mean your water pump is failing. Or oil could be leaking into your coolant via your head gasket.
That's the one. I'm getting a full check up on Thursday's. By the looks of it it's not only bubblying but I see a bit of rainbow color I.E oil on top. Seems like both but I'm sure the Oil Coolant will help too.

Thank you sharkbait much appreciated

Regards,
BB
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
farb
teh Rider!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
"Bubbly white sticky goo" is not a good description for coolant.
Not it's not!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Your coolant should look like windex or blue Powerade drink
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by farb View Post
Not it's not!
Not it's not ....anything beneficial to add?

I guess not it's not....
08 335i MSPORT & PR PKG/aFe St2 DCI/AA BOV kit +DP/SprintBooster Stage 2/Avant Garde 19 rims/ HNK V12 Pro Tires/BMS Wheel Spacers/ E92 M F n B kit incl blk kidney grills and sensors/Afe mach Exhaust. M3 skirts, DNA map 3
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillionPa View Post
Your coolant should look like windex or blue Powerade drink
Thanks, yes I do know what coolant should look like. In my previous BMW I used a 50/50 mix - Dis-Water plus Green non corrosive coolant (forgot the brand name but it was very efficient).

It is really sunny today so I had the chance to get a good look inside and used a syringe to suck out some of the coolant and realized the white froth that was on top was just a layer (0.3mm), and under it was clear water. So, seems the previous owner used distilled water only or maybe just water (dumb ass)....I assume that white froth was boiling distilled water at the top cap when I push the car hard, which I usually do given there are no Speed Cameras or limits in town. I will be taking my car tomorrow for a full Coolant flush right down to the radiator and once done add some primo coolant.

I drove today in medium traffic for 40 mins and temp never went above 220, so I'm sure a good coolant flush will help heaps. I also purchased 6 BMW OEM High Power Spark Plugs (Part Num- 12120037244) as well even though idrive say's my current plugs have 100KM left, but maybe it was not reset so after checking the plug tips tomorrow I will see if they need the new ones. Only thing left is the Oil Cooler but 800$ is something I need to save for and that doesn't incl labor

Finally, is it normal for a slight amount of white odorless smoke to come out of the engine bay after warm up and driving for the first 5 mins. It then goes after....could be a bit of oil burning off, or possible oil/water leak? I will also get that checked.

Thanks again to the usefull replies,
BB
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Autodynamics Lebanon http://www.facebook.com/Autodynamics...ref=ts&fref=ts

Installed my new Spark Plugs and Vanol Antifreeze (Light Blue) and all went well. They are the best indy BMW workshop in Beirut. The Antifreeze coolant didn't mention concentrated on the front or back or the need to add 50/50 and my Mechanic agreed just like the german seller that it was already premixed. Temp stay around 210-230 now. I'm happy with that but I still want an Oil Cooler. Anyone wanting to sell their OEM Oil cooler PM me (bear in mind I live outside the us).

Cheers
BB
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

250C for any fluid is way too hot (except brake fluid). Are you sure it's not in Fahrenheit?

Coolant should not exceed 225F oil should not exceed 250F (on this car). Your coolant should be green with a tint of blue, unless you get the eco-friendly kind which is red.

There should never be any white order less smoke coming out of the engine bay, but if they recently cleaned the engine with chemicals that would likely be what it is. However, that goes away after 10 minutes of driving. Otherwise it sounds like you have a leak, coolant, maybe head gasket. White usually means water-based.

I would get your car straightened out before you start modding it.

You may find that it would be beneficial to get something like an Evolution Racewerks Sport Oil Cooler kit with the upgrade for non oil cooled cars. This will convert your car to oil cooled and be better then the OEM BMW Oil Cooler. Especially in your country which does get a little hot in the summer months.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
250C for any fluid is way too hot (except brake fluid). Are you sure it's not in Fahrenheit?

Coolant should not exceed 225F oil should not exceed 250F (on this car). Your coolant should be green with a tint of blue, unless you get the eco-friendly kind which is red.

There should never be any white order less smoke coming out of the engine bay, but if they recently cleaned the engine with chemicals that would likely be what it is. However, that goes away after 10 minutes of driving. Otherwise it sounds like you have a leak, coolant, maybe head gasket. White usually means water-based.

I would get your car straightened out before you start modding it.

You may find that it would be beneficial to get something like an Evolution Racewerks Sport Oil Cooler kit with the upgrade for non oil cooled cars. This will convert your car to oil cooled and be better then the OEM BMW Oil Cooler. Especially in your country which does get a little hot in the summer months.
Correct I meant F not C. Today my car never went above 220 f (oil level) and I was very pleased, coolant is in optimal temp but I my car doesn't have a coolant measuring system other than the idrive warning. Yes, after adding the coolant a bit of smoke burnt of but that was it so I'm sure theres no leakage. All I need now is an OC.

I have reviewed the ER OC but as mentioned only thing stopping me is cash. It's 500 bucks more for the whole kit...

Thank you for replying.

Best regards,
BB
Appreciate 0