E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intake Options...Not Same Old Questions

03-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
surf2727
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Intake Options...Not Same Old Questions

I recently purchased a 2010 E90 335i and installed the JB4, cp-e chargepipe (my OEM one broke off the 1st day with the JB4!), & BMS OCC and now looking at the best intake options. After researching this topic, it seems that the consensus is to stick with the stock air box (maybe aftermarket drop-in filter) or go with the BMS DCI. I live in Houston so it is pretty hot all year, but everyone says more air is better than cooler air so this leads me more towards the DCI. I looked on the BMS website and notice they sell their own BMS DCI as well as the cp-e DCI with the only difference being the filter element size (cp-e slightly smaller). Has anyone had experience with both and is there a better option? I know the BMS DCI is fairly large and touches other engine components once installed, but I wasn’t sure if the cp-e option, being smaller, has any contact? If I were to go with the drop-in, is there any reason I should choose any other brand over the BMS (S&B) drop-in? The BMS is ~$60 and I saw the aFe drop-in is ~$85. Thanks for all the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

You got the "consensus" wrong...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
dozer008
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335i

I as well as most would say BMS Dual Cone intake is a safe bet and pretty cheap. I am also in Houston. What part and have you joined the facebook group yet?
      03-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
surf2727
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

What is the consensus then? I live by the Galleria and work west of there off I-10. And not on the facebook group yet, but prob will soon. Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
longliven54
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

^+1
more air is only good if its dense cold air. dci, is sucking up hot(not dense)air.
stock Intercooler+dci+hot weather= recipe for hot IAT and possible heat soak of that plastic can BMW calls intercooler.
mr.5 intake, dinan cai, stett/ur racing cai, afe sealed is where you should be looking at.
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

That's not really true, other than slightly higher iat. But at speed, the iat shouldn't be too bad. More oxygen is good, so you have to figure out does the added volume of slightly warmer, less dense air result in overall higher oxygen into the cylinders.

I would go CPE over bms because I like the way the cpe fits better. The additional metal inlet tubes make installing the rear filter a breeze compared to bms, and fit in the engine bay better IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
dozer008
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleroy4298 View Post
What is the consensus then? I live by the Galleria and work west of there off I-10. And not on the facebook group yet, but prob will soon. Where are you located?
I would not drop 300-400 dollars on an intake that gains are hardly negligible. This topic has been discussed a million times so I wouldnt want to debate it. Stick with a nice DCI either cp-e or BMS and call it a day use the extra 200-300 towards downpipes.

I live by the galleria off of westheimer and fondren. Ill send you a link to our facebook page. Tons of good guys here with a ton of knowledge.
      03-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Once you are tuned, the stock airbox presents more resistance to the higher airflow that comes with higher boost.

DCI's remedy this restriction.......but yes, when the car is not moving, they suck in hot air from the engine bay.

At speed, there is maybe a 5 to 10F degree differential in intake temps over the stock CAI......pretty small tradeoff for increased airflow of the DCI's.

Truth be told, a good aftermarket intercooler will go a lot further to lowering your intake temperatures than any aftermarket CAI will.

Top of the heap are the Dinan or Mr. 5 modified stock airbox. Both have a supplementary snorkel that sucks colder ambient air from behind the front bumper area.

For my money, a good intercooler and a meth kit completely eliminate any heatsoak issues our turbochargers present.

FYI I have DCI's a modest aftermarket intercooler and a meth kit, and my intake temps during a datalog run will be only about 10 degrees above ambient.
Appreciate 0