E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Warranty issues with TT, Procede, Xede. etc.

09-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
nswynnerton
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 TiAg AT Sport, Prem

Warranty issues with TT, Procede, Xede. etc.

I've read reams about BMW owners' worries about their warranties being voided by installation of aftermarket tuner devices, especially on the 335i. I'm curious about just how many of us have had their factory warranties revoked because the dealership discovered or otherwise detected these devices. Input?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

I see you are new here as am I. However, this has been discussed MANY times and not trying to be an a-hole but most would tell you to do a search on the topic in the forum threads before posting a question like this. Just trying to tell you this before you get hounded by others on here!!

Having said that...any mod that will effect the engine could void your warranty IF the dealer knew about it. The Procede can come off and is supposedly undetectable by the ECU. I believe the TT and Xede also are undetectable by the ECU. You don't want to leave them in when taking a car to be serviced. Thats one of the main advantages to the TT over Procede (ease of install/uninstall). Generally speaking any mods will "void" the warranty of that part of the car as long as its proven your mod contributed to the failure of the part. A boost of 20psi (from some bad mod) and a blown engine in your car would not be serviced under warranty. Changing the suspension and your stock engine blowing up will not void your engine warranty because the suspension has nothing to do with it. There is some legal precedence with some suit in the past that pretty much says this. (begins with and "M",..maybe Monroy?) However, doing a mod and BMW telling you they wont cover it will leave you pretty much SOL. Who do you complain to?.....SO,...MOD at your own risk!!

Hope this helps. BTW I dont think anyone has actually had a problem from one of these mods and actually had to face this issue. At least none that I have seen reported on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

Or you can read the sticky titled "mods and warranty," but 2007 E93 has a pretty good summation.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Doug R
Private
Rep
Drives: soon to be 335i coupe

Bottom line that I have always heard is that the mod has to lead to the failure. I have been driving diesel trucks for the past 10 years. These guy's are mod freaks. It's not usually a problem,but if you take your vehicle in with a engine mod you are at the dealers mercy. My dad took his truck in with a bad water pump with the "chip" still installed and they gave him a hard time.Go figure.
Appreciate 0