E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Underseat Midbass tuning question

05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Underseat Midbass tuning question

Background info:
Iv'e upgraded my HI FI system to the following
Amp is a JlAudio xd600/6 gains all set at 1/8 of dial

Fronts: Morel Hybrid Ovation II ch1-2 (75w) Full range from amp...
Morel crossovers in doors set to default jumpers

Underseats: Kicker SSMB 8"Ch5-6 Bridged (150W) LP 150hz

Rears: Stock ch 3-4 (75w) hp at 150hz

my end result is to have an ear bleeding SQ System
im almost there

So here's the questions...
After installing the under-seats im having a hard time dialing in the mid bass and keep out low end (poping)
which option is better; buying a pair of Bass blockers for 150hz or get another amp?

my next question...
I will also be getting a corner sub 10" (id10 or jlaudio 10w 6) still havent decided but , if i get a second amp ideally i would like to find a 2 ch mono amp to run the corner sub and the under seat. is there something like this available?
if you need photos i can provide later today
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Use 1 channel for each underseat speaker, instead of bridging 2 channels to power both.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

How are you doing this anyway?? Isn't bridging the underseats taking up 4 channels and you have the other 2 for the morels, where are the other 2 coming from for the rears?

Also I think you have to high pass the morels even though you have the crossovers. I think that crossover is for the mid to tweeter, not a high pass for the morel mid.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ok ill try that later tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Use 1 channel for each underseat speaker, instead of bridging 2 channels to power both.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Also set a high pass for your front speakers at 150 hz.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

no there is a Neg and a Pos for each Ch

As for the Morel Crossover
Ive leared that The crossovers that came with the speakers are designed for the speakers. You will either a) destroy the speakers eventually or b) not get all the sound the speakers can possibly be getting, if you use the amp crossover.

i Run the amps flat and let the crossovers the speakers came with handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
How are you doing this anyway?? Isn't bridging the underseats taking up 4 channels and you have the other 2 for the morels, where are the other 2 coming from for the rears?

Also I think you have to high pass the morels even though you have the crossovers. I think that crossover is for the mid to tweeter, not a high pass for the morel mid.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario0573 View Post

Ive leared that The crossovers that came with the speakers are designed for the speakers. You will either a) destroy the speakers eventually or b) not get all the sound the speakers can possibly be getting, if you use the amp crossover.

You do need a high pass for your front speakers. The crossover only provides a low pass for the mids and a high pass for the tweeter.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I would definitely high pass the fronts...around 150hz no higher than 200hz, see what sounds good to you.

I'm not sure how you have the underseats bridged. But I would ditch the rears and bridge the underseats differently. I have the same amp and have my underseats bridged, I'm using ch's 3 and 4 for my left underseat and 5 and 6 for the right one. With Y adapters. I also have a subsonic filter on the underseats at 50HZ. I have different underseats though and dont know how low the Kickers will play clean. I'm using a processor for the sub sonic but I'm pretty sure you can set up a high pass filter on the amp for the underseats.

I just realized I used the word underseats about 10 rimes in one paragraph!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

It doesn't sound like you have the underseats wired correctly for bridging.
For example the left underseat would be hooked up to channel 3 Left+ and channel 4 right - and the right underseat would be hooked up to channel 5 left+ and channel 6 right -. You take up 4 channels to bridge for 2 speakers.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
I would definitely high pass the fronts...around 150hz no higher than 200hz, see what sounds good to you.

I'm not sure how you have the underseats bridged. But I would ditch the rears and bridge the underseats differently. I have the same amp and have my underseats bridged, I'm using ch's 3 and 4 for my left underseat and 5 and 6 for the right one. With Y adapters. I also have a subsonic filter on the underseats at 50HZ. I have different underseats though and dont know how low the Kickers will play clean. I'm using a processor for the sub sonic but I'm pretty sure you can set up a high pass filter on the amp for the underseats.

I just realized I used the word underseats about 10 rimes in one paragraph!
Interesting OK I see your idea. But is there a difference in using ch's 3 and 4 for the left underseat and 5 and 6 for the right one. VS both on CH5-6?
would it best to add an MS-8 at this point to control and shape the sound or use Bass blockers.
Im a Little apprehensive to add an EQ processor after my alpine imprint i used a few years back.
Im appreciating all the feedback you guys are telling me
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Mario - please read the manual for the amp, it will tell you how to run it bridged. If you don't have the manual it is available at the JL website.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

I would put each speaker on its own channel. It only makes sense you have 6 speakers and 6 channels.

Those speakers are most likely 4 ohms and you are probably wiring them in parallel, which would give you a 2 ohm load. That amp is only stable down to 4 ohms bridged.

You can bridge each one on its own, but then you have to use 2 channels for each underseat sub. If you don't mind not having rear speakers, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I would put each speaker on its own channel. It only makes sense you have 6 speakers and 6 channels.

Those speakers are most likely 4 ohms and you are probably wiring them in parallel, which would give you a 2 ohm load. That amp is only stable down to 4 ohms bridged.

You can bridge each one on its own, but then you have to use 2 channels for each underseat sub. If you don't mind not having rear speakers, go for it.
Yes - do one of these two options

My opinion: 6 speakers, 6 channels. The woofers are slightly more efficient than the morel anyway so you will not have a problem matching levels

Cross @ 150-200hz Do not under or overlap.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting OK I see your idea. But is there a difference in using ch's 3 and 4 for the left underseat and 5 and 6 for the right one. VS both on CH5-6?
would it best to add an MS-8 at this point to control and shape the sound or use Bass blockers.
Im a Little apprehensive to add an EQ processor after my alpine imprint i used a few years back.
The difference I see would be if you're using both ch 3 and 4 for the left youre bridging both channels together to give 150 watts going to one underseat (the same holds true for ch 5 and 6). As opposed to only using ch 5 and 6 which gives you 75 watts going to both underseats.

If you're front stage is set up correctly you don't need the rears, which is how I'm running it. Peoples opinions on rear fill differ.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy
Quote:
The difference I see would be if you're using both ch 3 and 4 for the left youre bridging both channels together to give 150 watts going to one underseat (the same holds true for ch 5 and 6). As opposed to only using ch 5 and 6 which gives you 75 watts going to both underseats.

If you're front stage is set up correctly you don't need the rears, which is how I'm running it. Peoples opinions on rear fill differ.
Because the morels are a leas sensitive speaker you will not need 150w going to the midbass for them to keep up.

That being said, i did run my old setup just as described (fronts on 1/2, midbass on 3+4/5+6)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

It will sound much better when you stop clipping channels 5-6, trying to run a 2 ohm load bridged. When you cut the impedance in half you double the power, when your amp is already giving all its got, you are just clipping.

I actually have my morels bridged (2 channels each), and my underseats are just on one channel each, so I agree with Taibanl that you don't need the extra power for the underseats.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I reverted back to CH 5-6 on the under seats and its better. I have to fiddle with the gains to level match.
i might try to disconnect the rears on the XD600 tonight and give the fronts a bump.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Because the morels are a leas sensitive speaker you will not need 150w going to the midbass for them to keep up.

That being said, i did run my old setup just as described (fronts on 1/2, midbass on 3+4/5+6)
I didn't realize the Morels needed that much power! I'm not familiar with the Kickers either.

I'm using cdt's in the doors and Jehnerts. I bridged them to blend in better with the CDT's. But it seems like the Morels need alot more power, although I don't know the sensitivity of either the Morel or the CDT's.

But like BMW...said the 2 ohm load isn a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy
Quote:

I didn't realize the Morels needed that much power! I'm not familiar with the Kickers either.

I'm using cdt's in the doors and Jehnerts. I bridged them to blend in better with the CDT's. But it seems like the Morels need alot more power, although I don't know the sensitivity of either the Morel or the CDT's.

But like BMW...said the 2 ohm load isn a good idea.
I think morel are 88dB/1w/1m whereas most 4" are 91dB/1w/1m so morel actually need 2x power for same volume (to get that 3db back)

Don't get me wrong though 75w is plenty of power for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #20
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

I would do an Alpine PDX-V9 powering the Morels bridged (200watts), and the trunk sub(500 watts). The xd600/6 powering the kickers bridged(200watts), and the rear speakers(75watts).

By having both of your underseats on the same channel you are losing out on stereo separation. I'm not sure if many songs take advantage of stereo midbass, but you said you were after sq.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think morel are 88dB/1w/1m whereas most 4" are 91dB/1w/1m so morel actually need 2x power for same volume (to get that 3db back)

Don't get me wrong though 75w is plenty of power for them.
Yeah I just checked mine...91.1db...I also checked the Kickers and its sensitivity is also at 88db? How would that affect his setup?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
Yeah I just checked mine...91.1db...I also checked the Kickers and its sensitivity is also at 88db? How would that affect his setup?
He will get equal frequency response with the same amount of power to his fronts and underseats.

In YOUR case, the Jehnert is a bit more efficient, but not quite as much as the CDT so you could go either way (bridged or single channel).
Appreciate 0