E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Attention: Forge DV Owners that also have a Persistant 30FF Code

06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Attention: Forge DV Owners that also have a Persistant 30FF Code

I apologize first if this is common knowledge and I was just in the dark. Also I am not sure if this applies to all versions of the DVs since I know Forge has redesigned them at least once.

As the title says I had a persistent 30FF code and was unable to find the leak. I finally found a tiny leak in one of my forge dvs and assumed that I needed a rebuild kit. Well the rebuild kit arrived today (complete with redesigned piston I might add) and after I installed it, the DV still had a small leak.

I messed around with it a little more and discovered that the nipple actually unscrews! (see pic below) This is the source of my leak! It looks like the threads actually had some type of sealant or thread locker on them but once that is broken the threads will leak regardless of how tight the nipple is. I added some new loctite blue and reinstalled and tightened as hard as I could without damaging the part. No more leak. It held 20 inches of vacuum for about 15 minutes while I messed around in my garage.

Moral of the story: Check your forge dvs and make sure the vacuum nipple is secure. If in doubt, remove, reseal and reinstall.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Nice, thanks for sharing that. Lot of Forge out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the older version of the Forge DV and mine have never leaked. The nipple also is not screwed on either. I dont know why they redesigned something that worked without issues...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Only issue I had was sticky lube that seized the piston valve , got stuck in open...

cleaned , replaced lube and problem solved.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely helps out the community.

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Good find. You can also use teflon tape just in case you ever wanted to unscrew it again (with ease). Not sure why would but it's worth mentioning.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Good find. You can also use teflon tape just in case you ever wanted to unscrew it again (with ease). Not sure why would but it's worth mentioning.
Yeah I wanted to use teflon tape but I didn't have any on hand and didn't feel like buying some just for this. Also, as you say, why would you want to take it back apart.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
pretty sure loctite blue isn't permanent...it can be undone with hand tools.
      06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Turbopat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on black e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
I apologize first if this is common knowledge and I was just in the dark. Also I am not sure if this applies to all versions of the DVs since I know Forge has redesigned them at least once.

As the title says I had a persistent 30FF code and was unable to find the leak. I finally found a tiny leak in one of my forge dvs and assumed that I needed a rebuild kit. Well the rebuild kit arrived today (complete with redesigned piston I might add) and after I installed it, the DV still had a small leak.

I messed around with it a little more and discovered that the nipple actually unscrews! (see pic below) This is the source of my leak! It looks like the threads actually had some type of sealant or thread locker on them but once that is broken the threads will leak regardless of how tight the nipple is. I added some new loctite blue and reinstalled and tightened as hard as I could without damaging the part. No more leak. It held 20 inches of vacuum for about 15 minutes while I messed around in my garage.

Moral of the story: Check your forge dvs and make sure the vacuum nipple is secure. If in doubt, remove, reseal and reinstall.

Hope this helps.
I had forge DV on my MKV GTi and I had a boost pressure leak and could not find it anywhere, sometimes it wouldn't trigger CEL, but felt lose of power. Finally found out it was my Forge DV sticking and not opening/closing properly. I got a full refund and never buying forge again.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Yeah I wanted to use teflon tape but I didn't have any on hand and didn't feel like buying some just for this. Also, as you say, why would you want to take it back apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
pretty sure loctite blue isn't permanent...it can be undone with hand tools.
Blue is easier then the red that is for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopat View Post
I had forge DV on my MKV GTi and I had a boost pressure leak and could not find it anywhere, sometimes it wouldn't trigger CEL, but felt lose of power. Finally found out it was my Forge DV sticking and not opening/closing properly. I got a full refund and never buying forge again.
I think Forge makes a good product and my experience with their customer service has been superb. I also see signs of product continuous improvement efforts on their part which is a good sign to me (the piston in my rebuild kit has an o ring at the tip so the seal is no longer metal to metal) based on my experience in manufacturing. The dvs do need to be serviced regularly and as I pointed out in this post there are some intricacies that owners need to be aware of.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I've broke down my DVs (taken apart every part the screws, including that nipple) multiple times and I have not used loctite on any of the threads and I have no leaks. Mine have been holding 19 psi with no issues. No design issues as far and I am concerned. I am sure my DVs have been through more than most as I have removed all the black dye from mine, they were originally black, now they are brushed aluminium.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R 4 5 T 4 M 4 N View Post
I've broke down my DVs (taken apart every part the screws, including that nipple) multiple times and I have not used loctite on any of the threads and I have no leaks. Mine have been holding 19 psi with no issues.
I believe that the vacuum nipple on my dv was not tightened correctly from the very beginning (ie from the factory). I just never thought to check this because they look like they are one piece.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yep, good find. I had the same problem once with the Forge DVs and my 135. I also had to replace my spring once. I loved the Forge DVs, great product, but I need to buy a set for my 335

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0