E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Just installed Juice Box Stage 2...

Closed Thread

09-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
E90Russ
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan (E90)

Just installed Juice Box Stage 2...

The install took me a couple of hours. However, I took quite a few breaks and really took my time with the instructions. All in all, it's really simple to install, mechanical ability required is just about nil.

Now the part everybody cares about: driving experience. It is freaking fast, like almost too fast; if such a thing exists. It pulls hard and you're at 60 mph before you even have time to focus your eyes on the quickly moving speedometer needle.

I have pretty fat tires on the back: 265/30-19s. More than 2 inches more rubber than stock, not to mention my sticky Kumho tires. Stock, I would slightly spin these tires shifting into second with traction control quickly blinking. Now, with the JB2, I'm spinning them like mad going into second with traction control fighting to control all of the spin. There is a loud audible chirp with the shift, then it hooks up, and it just screams after that.

Remember that first time you drove your 335i off the lot and really pushed down the gas? It felt awesome, and eventually (perhaps unfortunately), you get use to it. This is a lot of power, it's going to take longer to get use to it I think.

I still can't believe it only cost $350. I have been tuning cars for a long time and have done pulley swaps (for supercharged cars), turbo engine ECU reflashes, exhausts, intakes, what have you. Of all the money I've spent, no other product was such a great deal for the money (HP per $)

Awesome turn around too. I placed my order Sunday Night, it's Wednesday and I already have it; 3 days turnaround time!

I give it two thumbs up.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Nice
      09-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

So, it took a few hours including breaks. How many wires do you have to plug into? Wondering how involved it is compared to Procede.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
E90Russ
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
So, it took a few hours including breaks. How many wires do you have to plug into? Wondering how involved it is compared to Procede.
I don't have any experience with the Procede so not sure how it compares to installing that. I'd assume it's similar though.

Basically you have 4 wires to unplug from the DME harness and replace with a Juice Box female wire going to the vacant spot. The freed up stock configuration wire then gets plugged into with a corresponding Juice Box wire. REALLY simple stuff.

Then you have to re-route one diverter hose that's easily accessible on the top/side of the engine. That part gave me problems because those hoses are on there TIGHT! Really had to work to get them off.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Russ View Post
The install took me a couple of hours. However, I took quite a few breaks and really took my time with the instructions. All in all, it's really simple to install, mechanical ability required is just about nil.

Now the part everybody cares about: driving experience. It is freaking fast, like almost too fast; if such a thing exists. It pulls hard and you're at 60 mph before you even have time to focus your eyes on the quickly moving speedometer needle.

I have pretty fat tires on the back: 265/30-19s. More than 2 inches more rubber than stock, not to mention my sticky Kumho tires. Stock, I would slightly spin these tires shifting into second with traction control quickly blinking. Now, with the JB2, I'm spinning them like mad going into second with traction control fighting to control all of the spin. There is a loud audible chirp with the shift, then it hooks up, and it just screams after that.

Remember that first time you drove your 335i off the lot and really pushed down the gas? It felt awesome, and eventually (perhaps unfortunately), you get use to it. This is a lot of power, it's going to take longer to get use to it I think.

I still can't believe it only cost $350. I have been tuning cars for a long time and have done pulley swaps (for supercharged cars), turbo engine ECU reflashes, exhausts, intakes, what have you. Of all the money I've spent, no other product was such a great deal for the money (HP per $)

Awesome turn around too. I placed my order Sunday Night, it's Wednesday and I already have it; 3 days turnaround time!

I give it two thumbs up.

Good to hear another success story for Terry, and keep us updated on it....

Oh, go ahead and put the flame suit on, I think its gonna get rough....
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Subscribed. I consider this a very independent review and look forward to hearing the future. Not "choosing the side" against CPU resources, just interested to hear how tweaking a few variables works...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
Robmaster
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2010 E82 135, 2005 E87 130i

what's the different between the Procede and the JB2??? why are the JB so cheap??
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmaster View Post
what's the different between the Procede and the JB2??? why are the JB so cheap??
Its to help people spend more money than they need to for something like a Procede. You see when people see something this cheap, they figure the Juice Box must not work, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #9
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

This JBS# has discussed a lot of times. If everything works for you and you get what you expected it's fine. No more JBS# vs. AA Xede vs. PROcede thread.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #10
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
why are the JB so cheap??

It has to do with the simplicity. If it were more expensive, someone would come up with a similar product at a cheaper price.

I think simple in this case is just ok, as it uses the original stock DME features more than some more complex solutions.

However, with a more complex solution one can extract still some more power and although that comes with a price, I want to have more power, eventhough JB2 is close what one can put down with the stock rubber anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
becuase the JB is literally made out of 50 cents worth of radioshack resistors

so the real question is why is it so expensive

terry is sure as hell turning one hell of a profit a 3,000% profit
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:21 AM   #12
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post

Ummmm....is this America? Business's price their product at the highest price at which it will sell. Wouldn't you do the same thing if you could?

For all these people that say it is made like this, I ask what is wrong with that? I do not know everything about it, but I do know it provides comparable power to the TT, it gives good AFR ratios, and it is reasonably priced.

As far as I know there are no long term tests for any of the piggyback so every choice is equal right now it regards to that. Either way I wish everyone the best of luck with whatever they choose....

Oh, and please dont bring business practices in to this, how about we stick to the performance of the product itself. Congrats to the OP on the results of his install.....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
Vikingus
Nothing to see here folks
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post

Literally you say... it must be a fact than. Facts have links. Can I see a link?
      09-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #14
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingus View Post
Literally you say... it must be a fact than. Facts have links. Can I see a link?
terry posted a "how to" thread showing pictures of his juice box v2 when it was just a few components on a breadboard... but the mods deleted all his threads!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #15
gbonc335i
recreation connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
2007 GMC Denali  [0.00]
1969 Chevy C/10  [0.00]
Does JB2 "hide" the increased psi from the ECU similar to the Procede and Xede products, or does the ECU log the increased boost?
      09-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #16
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod182 View Post
Someone loves his JBS2 so much he posts his experiences. Procede groupies who don't want to hear about it, somehow click on a post basically titled "I LOVE MY JBS2". Then complain they don't want to hear about it, and try to trash it, saying something so cheap isn't a good thing. Even though the facts show otherwise. Procede groupies, so predictable. And I don't really know if you can get resistors for fifty cents from Radio Shack any more. Is that in the small packs? Or bulk quantity?
Just enjoy your JBS2. I did not say anything against it.

Please, all you JBS1 or JBS2 users out there enjoy what you buy !

The difference to ECU interceptor processors is not that you will not make power, it is about HOW you will make power.

It's common known that it is a different product category. That's all. I can drive fast with a Subaru. I opted for a BMW. All said.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #17
E90Russ
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbonc335i View Post
Does JB2 "hide" the increased psi from the ECU similar to the Procede and Xede products, or does the ECU log the increased boost?
Fantastic question, unfortunately I have no idea.

Maybe one of the other guys can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #18
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xedeboy View Post
Eugen no offense but I've read some of your posts and I'm not sure you appreciate/understand the tehcnical differences. I wouldn't mind hearing more detail from someone familiar on the subject.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

Quote:
What they can't hide (not even the xede) is the long term fuel trims, which should be cleared before taking a car in for major service.
Can you do this just by unplugging the battery?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
As far as I can tell all these systems (xede, procede, turbo tuner, jb) work the same way as far as boost control is concerned. They trick the map sensor in to thinking it is making less boost than it actually is. That being the case all of these systems will "hide" the increased boost.

What they can't hide (not even the xede) is the long term fuel trims, which should be cleared before taking a car in for major service.
I agree that clearing the ecu is extremely wise, but even long term fuel trims adding excessive fuel cannot prove anything other than that you were flooring the car all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #21
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
As far as I can tell all these systems (xede, procede, turbo tuner, jb) work the same way as far as boost control is concerned. They trick the map sensor in to thinking it is making less boost than it actually is. That being the case all of these systems will "hide" the increased boost.

Fuel Trims? How does one clear that?
Mileage and fuel consumption hasn't changed too much for me. Probably went from 20mpg on average to mid 19's.

From what I read, the XEDE and Procedes are more difficult to detect after uninstall since it fools the ECU into thinking the various inputs/outputs/etc.. are normal. The TT's and JB's are supposedly easy to detect if BMW pulled your ECU for testing.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:42 AM   #22
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Russ View Post

I have pretty fat tires on the back: 265/30-19s. More than 2 inches more rubber than stock, not to mention my sticky Kumho tires. Stock, I would slightly spin these tires shifting into second with traction control quickly blinking.

I give it two thumbs up.
265/30-19 is 2" more rubber than 255/35-18???

No no no Bro, more like 10 mils +/- depending on brand of tire... Really Really.

2"s of additional width would have you at about a 335/25-19. Versus OEM

Congrats on the new power...