E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Problems with a Charge pipe

06-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Problems with a Charge pipe

After installing Cobb1+FMIC i feel like i have a beast now. Definately faster than my stock e92M3 up untill 100 MPH. Car is so quick and responsive from 0 to 100, i feel like i can beat almost any car now.
Before taking it to the track, i installed an aftermarket charge pipe(will not mention the company who makes it for obvious reason).
During the install i felt like it didnt really fit well. I did tighten up all the clamps well, but it didnt feel like it was made for n55 engine, even though they said it was
Installed it, fired her up, and after a few seconds of driving i felt that the engine got a bit noisier and i thought the power was not the same. Checked all the connections, nothing loose, so i thought i might be paranoid.
Next day took her to the track and in 5 min of driving yellow halh engine icon comes up. Power was not down so i continued for 10 more minutes, at the end of 15 min run time to pit. Turned the engine off, started in 1 min, no more yellow icon. Back to the track, same story. Since i had no so called limp mode or reduced power, i ignored that icon for the rest of the day.
Next morning the engine noise is a lot lowder and now i have reduced power but no warning icons.
Checked charge pipe connections, nothing is loose.
Before taking the car to my mechanic i decided to remove the charge pipe and put my stock one back on.
Bang, problem solved, my beast is back, no more noise or reduced power.
Anyone has similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

This is the N54 section.

Sounds like the problem is clearny related tothe new charge pipe. When you said the problem went away when you re-installed the stock pipe, your pipe is probably an OE throttle body O-ring/C-clip style connection, and you forgot to transfer the O-ring over to the new pipe to make a complete seal. This would explain the louder noise as well as the connections appearing good.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

I just noticed that this is n54 section. Mods, can you please move this thread to n55 section?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
This is the N54 section.

Sounds like the problem is clearny related tothe new charge pipe. When you said the problem went away when you re-installed the stock pipe, your pipe is probably an OE throttle body O-ring/C-clip style connection, and you forgot to transfer the O-ring over to the new pipe to make a complete seal. This would explain the louder noise as well as the connections appearing good.
I didnt forget to transfer the O-ring. According to the instructions thats what i should have done, but my stock pipe didnt have any O-ring
I transfered C-clip and felt that new charge pipe had a little play in that area after locking the C-clip. Now i think that thats what was the source of the boost leak

Last edited by Groundpilot; 06-10-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I didnt forget to transfer the O-ring. According to the instructions thats what i should have done, but my stock pipe didnt have any O-ring
I transfered C-clip and felt that new charge pipe had a little play in that area after locking the C-clip. Now i thing that thats what was the source of the boost leak
You didn't forget to transfer it over, but your stock pipe never had one? I don't understand.

The aftermarket pipe sound have the O-ring fully seated inside it, and the clip should hold the pipe to the TB enough where it won't come off if you pull on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

I guess i didnt use the right word. I could not transfer the O-ring because there was no O-ring in the stock pipe but i was looking for it.
Appreciate 0