E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede Rev2 can't run V5?

07-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
point665
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Procede Rev2 can't run V5?

Hey guys,

First: this is not a rant or anything to bash Vishnu, in contrast - their support for me has been top notch - but I realize they are extremely busy and wanted to ask the community for some help.

I bought a used Rev2a unit, which was supposed to be unlocked... however after installing it and buttoning everything up, the unit gave me 6-flashes indicating it was VIN locked. I pulled out the unit and shipped it off to Vishnu, who unlocked it and sent it back extremely quick. The other weekend, I installed the unit and (which came back with the 7-29 maps) and after letting the engine warm-up, my first run resulted in a hard jolt which felt like fuel cutting out. I received a Crankshaft Position, Tooth Fault error code, plus a 3100 code. I reset everything and reloaded the firmware/maps... after several attempts, same thing: bad jolts. I called up Vishnu and after trouble shooting with them for a bit, I ended up loading V4 software, which has worked fine all last week. I attempted to load up the V5 software again today, and the same thing: car jolts and goes into limp mode. On certain starts, I get the 7 flashes of the SES light.

I've spoken to Vishnu regarding this, they say Rev2 units do not support the latest V5 maps and that I should upgrade to a Rev2.5 unit... I have no problem doing that, but I'm wondering if there could be something with my car itself that is causing these issues? (which would happen with a Rev2.5 unit as well). The additional features of the 2.5 unit aren't really of benefit to me (at the moment), so if I don't have to upgrade, I'd rather not pull the unit again.

The thing that confuses me is... Vishnu's website lists the V5 7-29 maps as "For use with EITHER Rev2 or Rev2.5/3 platforms", and in an email with Vishnu back in April, they told me the unit I was looking at would run V5 (I was trying to decide at the time whether to buy a Rev2 or Rev2.5 unit).

I've tried searching, but no luck. Is there anyone who has had similar issues?

Again, I am in no way bashing Vishnu nor critiquing their support - I think their support is great and I wouldn't have bought a Procede unit if my research didn't lead to me thinking it was the best product out there

Thanks in advance guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by point665 View Post
Hey guys,

First: this is not a rant or anything to bash Vishnu, in contrast - their support for me has been top notch - but I realize they are extremely busy and wanted to ask the community for some help.

I bought a used Rev2a unit, which was supposed to be unlocked... however after installing it and buttoning everything up, the unit gave me 6-flashes indicating it was VIN locked. I pulled out the unit and shipped it off to Vishnu, who unlocked it and sent it back extremely quick. The other weekend, I installed the unit and (which came back with the 7-29 maps) and after letting the engine warm-up, my first run resulted in a hard jolt which felt like fuel cutting out. I received a Crankshaft Position, Tooth Fault error code, plus a 3100 code. I reset everything and reloaded the firmware/maps... after several attempts, same thing: bad jolts. I called up Vishnu and after trouble shooting with them for a bit, I ended up loading V4 software, which has worked fine all last week. I attempted to load up the V5 software again today, and the same thing: car jolts and goes into limp mode. On certain starts, I get the 7 flashes of the SES light.

I've spoken to Vishnu regarding this, they say Rev2 units do not support the latest V5 maps and that I should upgrade to a Rev2.5 unit... I have no problem doing that, but I'm wondering if there could be something with my car itself that is causing these issues? (which would happen with a Rev2.5 unit as well). The additional features of the 2.5 unit aren't really of benefit to me (at the moment), so if I don't have to upgrade, I'd rather not pull the unit again.

The thing that confuses me is... Vishnu's website lists the V5 7-29 maps as "For use with EITHER Rev2 or Rev2.5/3 platforms", and in an email with Vishnu back in April, they told me the unit I was looking at would run V5 (I was trying to decide at the time whether to buy a Rev2 or Rev2.5 unit).

I've tried searching, but no luck. Is there anyone who has had similar issues?

Again, I am in no way bashing Vishnu nor critiquing their support - I think their support is great and I wouldn't have bought a Procede unit if my research didn't lead to me thinking it was the best product out there

Thanks in advance guys.
I dont know if I have an answer for you but I would recommend the 2.5 upgrade.

It has better fueling capacity and the availability to use the aggressive maps. I would just call them anyway as they are the experts.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
point665
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I dont know if I have an answer for you but I would recommend the 2.5 upgrade.

It has better fueling capacity and the availability to use the aggressive maps. I would just call them anyway as they are the experts.
Thanks Jeff,

Yeah I'm definitely strongly considering it. Just worried about upgrading to a 2.5 unit and running into the same issues (the possibility of the issues being due to the car)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by point665 View Post
Thanks Jeff,

Yeah I'm definitely strongly considering it. Just worried about upgrading to a 2.5 unit and running into the same issues (the possibility of the issues being due to the car)
If the car runs fine on other maps then it really doesn't sound like the car being issue but a firmware software incompatibility. My .02.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

just goto an older map and try it out. at some point the maps stopped supporting rev2
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
point665
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
just goto an older map and try it out. at some point the maps stopped supporting rev2
Thanks,

I've tried searching for old download links to the different V5 maps... Theres just not telling with supports Rev2 and which not (because even the 7-29 maps on Vishnu's website have folders/maps for Rev2a and Rev2b in there).

Any idea what the last maps were to support Rev2?

I've found downloads for the 12-17 maps, but have not tried them out yet. They look like they go back to December of 2010, which includes the 5v101 firmware file.

Edit: of course, it would be nice to be able to run the latest -supported- maps
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
cronus
3 pedals
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

7-29 v5 (firmware 108?) maps run fine on my Rev2a. Much better than the v4 8-17 maps on firmware 28 and 29 that I used before upgrading to v5.

Are you absolutely sure you used the correct maps for your transmission/turbos? The zip file I have has MT and AT maps for both stock and upgraded turbos.

Hope you get this sorted out..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
point665
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronus View Post
7-29 v5 (firmware 108?) maps run fine on my Rev2a. Much better than the v4 8-17 maps on firmware 28 and 29 that I used before upgrading to v5.

Are you absolutely sure you used the correct maps for your transmission/turbos? The zip file I have has MT and AT maps for both stock and upgraded turbos.

Hope you get this sorted out..
Perfect - this is just the kind of answer I was hoping for in the forums.

Now the question is: why can't I run V5?

I've downloaded the 7-29 V5.zip file several times from Vishnu's site, and have tried to decompress it using a few different utilities (just to make sure). My process is:

1. Update the firmware to the one in the folder (v108).
2. Once updated, turn off ignition for a few seconds
3. Update maps to Rev2a & Rev2b > rev2a > Stock Turbo > 7-29 6AT DIC.pcd
4. Reset Procede
5. Through Command Center, reset adaptations 12-1

The process works fine for V4...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
cronus
3 pedals
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

My experience might not apply to you because I use MT maps. You may want to reset every possible adaptation since you bought it used. Instructions are in the v5 sticky. Not sure why it calls them adaptions. That's even not a real word...

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
point665
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronus View Post
My experience might not apply to you because I use MT maps. You may want to reset every possible adaptation since you bought it used. Instructions are in the v5 sticky. Not sure why it calls them adaptions. That's even not a real word...

Good luck.
Yeah, I've done all of the applicable adaptation resets...
Appreciate 0