E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Down Pipe List - DP's That Fit? (N54)

07-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Down Pipe List - DP's That Fit? (N54)

Hi all,

Can anyone point me to a list or share their knowledge regarding brands of exhaust down pipes that comfortably fit the N54 engine (135i, 1M, 335i) on a RHD car?

In terms of imported items I am reliably informed that AR do albeit I have seen posts that contradict this. I also understand that VRSF have now changed their design so that they also fit RHD cars; is this true?

Based on the above it is my understanding that we have a choice of...

- AR
- VRSF
- Milltek
- Supersprint
- Evolve

...that will fit without redrilling the O2 sensor holes and welding up the old.

Of these I believe that AR, VRSF and Milltek are all 3" with a 2.5" taper at the flange to the mid-pipe. Evolve have confirmed that theirs are a true 2.5" and from memory so are Supersprint.

All options available to buy in the UK (SS, Milltek, Evolve) are incredibly expensive in comparison to the US imports even when taxes are considered.

Has anyone gone another route? Custom perhaps?

Any info you can send my way is greatly appreciated

Last edited by Cozy; 07-16-2013 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I don't think any fit 'comfortably' LOL.

A few mm clearance is the best you'll get, which is why they are so problematic.

The AR ones are the original and the best (I had two sets) they fit perfectly and are of the highest quality. they look beautiful - its a shame they are hidden!

Best buy them online direct from AR in the US: http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw/e...downpipes.html

Ask them to mark the paperwork 'warranty replacement'. They marked mine as "$50 metal tubes - warranty replacement".

No taxes charged at customs, this method has worked on several items I've imported.

Last edited by doughboy; 07-16-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info

I've spoken with VRSF who have modifed their design since a member on here had some issues with fitment. They guarantee fitment and satisfaction or your money back so I am tempted to try these guys out; their lifetime warranty also is very appealing.

CA INT want near to £780 for AR catless downpipes so if I were to go the route that you suggested I could have them imported personally here for closer to £650 which sounds much better.

Now, I just need to convince myself if it's worth buying perfectly sculpted works of art that I'll never see . At present VRSF looks good.

Do you have any recommendations for installers? I am based in Surrey but Darren Wood seem to be worth the time to travel to.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I got Supersprint pipes from AMD Essex. They were £800 which sounds expensive bu then they fitted them for 'Free' which can make a huge difference!

Also I have had no problems at all with them so far.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Nick. Was the free fitting part of a deal?

Are Supersprint a 3" pipe?

The cheapest I have found Supersprint DP's is £1500, supplied only!

Last edited by Cozy; 07-17-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #6
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I have VRSF items sat in the garage waiting to go in. I'm booked into Darren Wood in a couple of weeks. They came off a N54 so I know they fit. If you do choose to go to DW then I suggest you book in now as they are manic busy at the mo.
They look and feel like quality items. Cant wait to get them on.

WM
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I paid £800ish for catted AR pipes from JuiceUp (a few months before they stopped trading). The catted AR ones had very tight clearance, and the fitters had to do a bit of manipulation. Never saw the quality of the pipes, since i got them posted straight to the garage.

DarrenWoods are very good, they fitted my suspension bits a few weeks ago, very professional, knows what they are doing, and cheap!! But do book ahead...they are very busy
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all.

I am sorely tempted with VRSF, I mean the price is fantastic and no-one so far has complained about quality, customer service, whatever, the company really seems to be on the ball with proper R&D performed, I can find nothing bad about them. Any issues I do find have been addressed, the company has listened and made design changes where necessary so they appear to be a really good business. They guarantee fitment which should be enough but I just dread the thought of my fitter calling me and saying "errr, no". I've spoken to a few Aus guys and they reckon the VRSF pipes went on with no problems so I guess it's a green light.

I have spoken with AMD, I've used them many times before for a few years now so I have no hestitation in going back; they have even installed a few parts to my 135i. To fit the VRSF pipes they have quoted between 3 & 4hrs, in money terms that's between £216 & £288 inc VAT which I consider good value. VRSF agree to send the parcels declared at a reasonable value to help with import cost so it'd cost me to have these fitted...

VRSF Down pipes: £236
Shipping: £59
Sub-total: £295 (+ RM handling fees approx £20 and tax @ 20% assuming $120 value £20)
Total: £335
*above plus Ceramic Coating: £391

Fitting: £288
Fitted total: £623
*above plus Ceramic Coating: £679

This total figure of course may be lower or higher depending on tax and duty.

Interestingly AMD have offered to supply and fit Milltek 3" downpipes for £801 inclusive of everything which I guess you were taking about, Nick. For approx an additional £175 over the VRSF install, that could be well worth it.

Apologies for the long message and in-head calculations, I just wanted to jot it all down in case it helps anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Finally managed to grab some time at work to install my VRSF pipes.

Pipes really sound different and its a more marked transformation than the De Cat done on my old 330d.

A few things that spring to mind for me regard just how awkward fitting was, though I didn't do it myself I was on hand to assist and to be honest there isn't too much space in there to carry out the install its hot tiring work in the heat to get these pipes to fit partly down to the fact that the pipes are slightly wider in places and are a swine to locate IMO.

After a day or so I am now starting to get some issues re fitment/resonance I suspect that as there's a cigarette papers in some areas some fowling of the heat shields and possibly subframe etc could be taking place and perhaps by installing the pipes and with all the fiddling about when installing(although it was all checked out re ensuring everything was as clear as it could be) I may now have an exhaust issue further back since install.. I suspect that when the covers are removed I'll get to perhaps see some evidence of this taking place(noticeable resonance is heard/felt when turning left) but overall you can hear what a difference the pipes have mad.

The other thing noted was after 3-4 days the EML light popped up which I was half expecting displaying the code 29F4 catalytic converter conversion , going in via our AutoLogic diagnostic machine the fault at first displayed that wording "no matching fault symptom, when you dial into it a bit further(quite easy with this machine) you again get the code 29F4 followed by 29F5 catalytic converter conversion 2, when you go in to 29F5 a bit further you get to see the fact that its come back stating efficiency is below threshold.

In terms of the fault itself the logistic counter stated that it had been recorded a number of times(stating frequency 6 times and logistic counter 54, but like a lot of these faults its simply down to the fact that the standard map is looking for Cat's that simply are not there any more.

So next step for me is re map time. Buty on a bright note fuel economy has improved a little bit and throttle response is crisper too

Last edited by old grey steve; 07-19-2013 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Did you use new clamps at the turbo?
WM
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

We did I think the resonance noted is from either a heat-shield(it was commented when fitting that it was shall we say tight and a small adjustment I understand was made to help) or that perhaps that heat shield or perhaps the pipes are just fowling say something else, I've asked for be car to go back in the air next week so hopefully all will be revealed.

All I can think of is its kind if settled down and moved fractionally
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

I started a thread a while go about RHD DP's which might be worth a read, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13614223
Appreciate 0