E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > vrsf downpipes

07-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
MichaelBlake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

vrsf downpipes

hi everyone just wanted to share my experience with vrsf. i ordered catless dps and was happy with the quality of the welds and what not but today i went to a shop to have them installed. they wouldnt quite fit and i was forced to leave my car at the shop for the night so they could make a cut and weld in the exhaust to make it fit which will cost a bit more. obviously vrsf was the less expensive choice of dps so im not going to complain as i knew there was a possibility of this happening.

Just thought id throw this out there thanks guys

Last edited by MichaelBlake; 05-05-2015 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

They probably didn't install them correctly, everything needs to be loose and aligned before tightening the clamps. I highly doubt they are manufactured wrong. Hundreds of people run them with no problem. Seems to be a common issue when installing all brands dp's
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
MichaelBlake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
They probably didn't install them correctly, everything needs to be loose and aligned before tightening the clamps. I highly doubt they are manufactured wrong. Hundreds of people run them with no problem. Seems to be a common issue when installing all brands dp's
the shop has worked on my cousin and brothers cars and from what i know has a good rep. ill mention it to them in the morning thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I'm baffled why customers don't contact us directly when this kind of thing happens so we can guide their shop on how to properly install 335i DP's. All it takes is one e-mail. Literally less effort than making a post. Contacting us resolves the issue, making a forum post does not.

Please contact us directly before they rip you off due to inexperience installing these pipes. We have every set tested at least two times on our jigs before they're shipped to the customer and we haven't run into an issue with the V2's that wasn't directly related to an inexperienced installer. PM me if you need our contact details.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

You should put contact info and the email print out in the box when they ship. It may help a little. Unless you're me and rip everything out to get to the goods
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

I would retroactively like to complain about how traumatized I just realized I am regarding installing VRSF downpipes on my Xi several months ago. It must be one of those repressed memories things. Time delay PTSD or something. Could I please have a free 7" FMIC? And an exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I'm baffled why customers don't contact us directly when this kind of thing happens so we can guide their shop on how to properly install 335i DP's. All it takes is one e-mail. Literally less effort than making a post. Contacting us resolves the issue, making a forum post does not.

Please contact us directly before they rip you off due to inexperience installing these pipes. We have every set tested at least two times on our jigs before they're shipped to the customer and we haven't run into an issue with the V2's that wasn't directly related to an inexperienced installer. PM me if you need our contact details.
+1000

So many times these so called "shops" can't do an oil change right. We've sold dozens of the VRSF pipes without a hitch. I've had my fair share of emails with customers regarding many downpipes and at the end of the day it required a second look at the install to realize "they do fit".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
You should put contact info and the email print out in the box when they ship. It may help a little. Unless you're me and rip everything out to get to the goods
People should do their due diligence and realize that with anything purchased whether it be a car modification or a household refrigerator that you contact the manufacturer first for troubleshooting. People are always ready to slander quicker then to go through the appropriate channels for troubleshooting/solution direct from the source.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

LOL at these threads once a week. Lots off issues for a perfect product. I guess all these shops/customers are oblivious when it comes to a simple install. Can't be the hardware.
Inb4vrsffanboiscry
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
LOL at these threads once a week. Lots off issues for a perfect product. I guess all these shops/customers are oblivious when it comes to a simple install. Can't be the hardware.
Inb4vrsffanboiscry
I absolutely do believe there is a possibility of the hardware being faulty which is why we revised the hardware. I even believe there's a possibility of a an individual lemon in the batch. Anything is possible but a simple phone call/e-mail could have resolved this instantly and would have confirmed whether or not it's hardware or ignorance on the behalf of the installer.

We just took in a return today because the "mechanic" refused to install our DP because the rear o2 isn't in a factory location. This is literally the picture they sent and their sole reason for claiming the product wouldn't fit. This is the type of "experienced mechanics" we deal with on a daily basis.

I've personally corrected at least half a dozen of our DP/Exhaust installs in the past couple of months free of charge by doing nothing more than loosening the DP's, reclocking and tightening.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
Inb4vrsffanboiscry
The mechanic forgot to complain about the missing tab and bolt also - that must make them not fit also!

I have done a couple sets in my life and you can't just slap them on first try and then give up - they take a little finesse no matter who makes them, very limited room and they have to sit in exactly the right place or they don't look like the fit - I have not seen anything so bad that it needed the pipe cut and re-welded!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
The mechanic forgot to complain about the missing tab and bolt also - that must make them not fit also!
They were so stubborn they didn't even attempt the install

As soon as they came in, we put them on our jig and it fit perfectly. We had the shop car on the lift so we fit them up and they fit perfectly. At least one lucky customer doesn't have to wait for the back ordered sets to arrive now that this guy has been free'd up.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBlake7 View Post
hi everyone just wanted to share my experience with vrsf. i ordered catless dps and was happy with the quality of the welds and what not but today i went to a shop to have them installed. they wouldnt quite fit and i was forced to leave my car at the shop for the night so they could make a cut and weld in the exhaust to make it fit which will cost a bit more. obviously vrsf was the less expensive choice of dps so im not going to complain as i knew there was a possibility of this happening.

Just thought id throw this out there thanks guys
My shop had no problems putting mine on yesterday

Maybe a dp install should be the test of a new shop, if they can get them on correctly without doing crazy stuff you found a keeper. If a shop called me up wanting to cut stuff up and re-weld things to install DPs I would tell them to stop all work and get the car put back together I am on my way to pick it up. Happy to say my shop passed and I am very happy with my VRSF products and so is my bank account

Last edited by deathbunny; 07-18-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There's another VRSF DP rattle thread that's still on the front page and it ended up being due to the muffler and cat delete. Everyone instantly assumes it's fitment until it's determined that it's something completely unrelated.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
advancevo27
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I xdrive

I just did my VRSF down pipes on my xi last weekend on jack stands! They fit absolutely PERFECT NO ISSUES what so ever...

Tiago its unfortunate for you V1 always have there issues which is understandable but from what I've read you've been working hard non stop to make a better product which is awesome

both products I just purchased from you and installed: catless dp's and a 7" fmic were top notch quality and like I said fit PERFECT you should put a disclaimer on your site and or invoice stating
"if you or the installer have no experience or run into and issue installing this product please call VSRF for instruction, do not start a thread about it"
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
MichaelBlake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

im not bashing vrsf.. i didnt mean this post to sound the way it did.. the situation was weird.. the shop was closing so 3 of the guys working there all helped to install the downpipes and they worked late to get it close.. its not like they could get it back to the stock dps that night and they said they had tried loosening the other bolts and making it work but it was pulling on the rest of the exhaust system and one of the downpipes wasnt lining straight up i saw it myself (sorry no photos) it was not off by much but they didnt charge me foe cutting and welding it and it wont be rattling or have tension.. i have no clue if its the shops or vrsf's fault the dp's are in and sound amazing im not complaining
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #16
Electric
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Competition

I installed BMS downpipes this past weekend. It is just a bitch of an install, but once everything is lined up and tightened accordingly everything WILL FIT. If it doesnt, you did something wrong!
      07-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

When you run these catless downpipes how do you clear the errors?
Will my COBB accessport be able to clear the codes so I don't have a warning on my dash every time I start the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
jlcf22
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphss View Post
When you run these catless downpipes how do you clear the errors?
Will my COBB accessport be able to clear the codes so I don't have a warning on my dash every time I start the car?
yes it will clear
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
ZROFCKSGVN
Hi Hater
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Reckless

dude, i hear this shit ALL the time. Shops charge by the hr and chances are unles the shop owner is your father(and maybe even then) they want to over charge you a couple of hours. Trust me i just went thru it with a reputable local shop that installed my new turbos, dont let them get one on you and dont let them cut and weld shit! VRSF makes great downpipes and i know more the a dozen people who have made installs without a hitch
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
tphss
das Eichhörnchen
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcf22 View Post
yes it will clear
Thanks, seriously considering getting the vrsf downpipes when I install my ETS FMIC.
Appreciate 0