E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Lower ur temp

07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Lower ur temp

Guys, I didnt put the splash shield underneath to observe any leaks and it turns out I'm running 225 - 235 ... it used to be almost 250 before
I also changed the diverter valve but that shouldn't affect temp

I guess more air underneath the engine is helping air out some of the exhaust heat..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

This doesn't surprise me at all

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
Guys, I didnt put the splash shield underneath to observe any leakoils and it turns out I'm running 225 - 235 ... it used to be almost 250 before
I also changed the diverter valve but that shouldn't affect temp

I guess more air underneath the engine is helping air out some of the exhaust heat..
Maybe vent it instead of removing the entire thing. I run at 220 with it on (stett stage 2 oil cooler). I just do not want a lot of debris in the motor. Interesting though!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
TexE90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

There are also electrical connectors sitting right above the splash shield (water pump and thermostat connectors come to mind). I'm sure the plugs are sealed at least somewhat but the less water that can splash up there, the better.

If you want to lower your oil temp, get a better oil cooler (or get one in the first place depending on which N54 setup you have).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
advancevo27
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I xdrive

I noticed the exact same temps 225-235 with it off for a week and then put it back on last week and now my temps are back to holding steady @ 240
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Almost all cars out there dont have a splash shield. The whole purpose of it is for the oil leaks, coolant leaks ect... but if you have a big leak it would seem through anyways. The only cars that use it for other reasons are hybrids. It helps with gas mileage by keeping the flow of air under the car instead of in it.

The other day i asked myself this same question, why even keep it on. This is a turbo car and it already gets really hot, all that shield does is keep the hot air inside the engine bay, with it off it will cool much faster and cool while driving. I'd say keep it on if you dont want to deal with the hassle of taking it off but if you want lower engine temps take it off. I'll probably be doing the same if i order some downpipes.

I dont have an oil cooler on my car and my temps average 240 as well. The highest ive seen is 250 and thats after flooring it. Its possible the oil helps, I'm running 0w40 mobile 1 oil for (bmw's). I'd suggest anyone who gets higher than 250 temps to keep the splash shield off. I would also remove it with upgraded turbos. A vented hood would also help and create a cooling effect with the splash shield off.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
BuellsterR1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Almost all cars out there dont have a splash shield. The whole purpose of it is for the oil leaks, coolant leaks ect... but if you have a big leak it would seem through anyways. The only cars that use it for other reasons are hybrids. It helps with gas mileage by keeping the flow of air under the car instead of in it.

The other day i asked myself this same question, why even keep it on. This is a turbo car and it already gets really hot, all that shield does is keep the hot air inside the engine bay, with it off it will cool much faster and cool while driving. I'd say keep it on if you dont want to deal with the hassle of taking it off but if you want lower engine temps take it off. I'll probably be doing the same if i order some downpipes.

I dont have an oil cooler on my car and my temps average 240 as well. The highest ive seen is 250 and thats after flooring it. Its possible the oil helps, I'm running 0w40 mobile 1 oil for (bmw's). I'd suggest anyone who gets higher than 250 temps to keep the splash shield off. I would also remove it with upgraded turbos. A vented hood would also help and create a cooling effect with the splash shield off.
IMO, this is far from the truth. I believe the main reasons for splash shields is the protect the engine and its components from water that will cause corrosion, road debris, and provide a better aerodynamic airflow to decrease lift. Your engine is designed to NOT leak any fluids so designing a tray to catch leaky fluids doesn't make any sense.

Also, most modern cars will have splash shields and the ones that don't are usually the economically stripped down versions that are bare. This is the result of the manufacturer saving money where they can.

Also, why is everyone assuming that cooler oil temperatures is some how better? What if the engineers designed the engine to run at optimal temps of 240F which is standard. I understand that the margin from 225F - limb mode is greater then from 240F - limb mode but if your car is not being pushed to these upper limits, what is the real point of cooler oil temps?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #8
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Well the point of cooler oil is to allow the oil to get into the 'zone' and then to keep it there, the stock cooler does a crap job of keeping it in the zone, hence limp mode, so if you can help the cooler along a bit by providing more air flow, you should be able to stop limping at least a little bit longer
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuellsterR1 View Post
IMO, this is far from the truth. I believe the main reasons for splash shields is the protect the engine and its components from water that will cause corrosion, road debris, and provide a better aerodynamic airflow to decrease lift. Your engine is designed to NOT leak any fluids so designing a tray to catch leaky fluids doesn't make any sense.

Also, most modern cars will have splash shields and the ones that don't are usually the economically stripped down versions that are bare. This is the result of the manufacturer saving money where they can.

Also, why is everyone assuming that cooler oil temperatures is some how better? What if the engineers designed the engine to run at optimal temps of 240F which is standard. I understand that the margin from 225F - limb mode is greater then from 240F - limb mode but if your car is not being pushed to these upper limits, what is the real point of cooler oil temps?
I agree with almost everything you said. The underside paneling for the majority of reasons is aerodynamics, efficiency, and keeping debris and water from hitting major components whether it be electrical or mechanical. I would not remove any of them.

The way I see it most people like myself are used to a vehicle that can maintain "normal" oil temperatures. I.E. 99% of every other vehicle on the road aims for somewhere in the 170F to 215F oil temp.

This car has trouble maintaining under 250F especially when pushed hard. A majority of the so called reasoning for these higher oil temps was apparently less "pumping loss". The reality is this car also has coolant running through the turbo's too. So if your coolant is at 210-220F or a little less during normal driving conditions I would be hard pressed to see temperatures below that all said and done.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
USAF Rick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 08 335i e92

Woe, wouldn't expect to see that much decrease in temperature, insteresting topic though.

FBO
Instagram: RickyyyyyH
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

One mod that works is the bms thermostat (provided you have an adequate oil cooler) . Ive never crossed 250 even on the track with 95 degree summer heat. The under panel is for aero
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
One mod that works is the bms thermostat (provided you have an adequate oil cooler) . Ive never crossed 250 even on the track with 95 degree summer heat. The under panel is for aero
True, but that is only if you have an oil cooler. Not everyone has one, and i'm one of those people. The removal of the splash shield is a minor free mod that anyone can do and really would benefit everyone. Although it would mostly be for the people without factory oil coolers.

Some cars without factory oil coolers get well int he 275 range and well thats just way to high and can be dangerous since oil breaks down at higher temps (350 for synthetic) and running it at 275 or higher would mean alot more oil changes.

People can look at it as a cooling mod, or as something that shouldn't be done. Everyone has good points, but your making it to the people with an oil cooler. Although the op might have one this would be a nice mod to bring down those cars that run at 260-275 cars and have no oil coolers. Since oil coolers are $1500 plus (when not having a stock one) its a cheap solution for anyone not willing to pay more to have it added since bmw decided to not put them in all 335's.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

you are correct only if you have an oil cooler this mod would work. I thought bmw had a sib to install a free oil cooler for the cars that didnt come with any. Maybe a higher w oil might help also. Thats messed up that there are n54's without oil coolers.

Quote:
True, but that is only if you have an oil cooler. Not everyone has one, and i'm one of those people. The removal of the splash shield is a minor free mod that anyone can do and really would benefit everyone. Although it would mostly be for the people without factory oil coolers.

Some cars without factory oil coolers get well int he 275 range and well thats just way to high and can be dangerous since oil breaks down at higher temps (350 for synthetic) and running it at 275 or higher would mean alot more oil changes.

People can look at it as a cooling mod, or as something that shouldn't be done. Everyone has good points, but your making it to the people with an oil cooler. Although the op might have one this would be a nice mod to bring down those cars that run at 260-275 cars and have no oil coolers. Since oil coolers are $1500 plus (when not having a stock one) its a cheap solution for anyone not willing to pay more to have it added since bmw decided to not put them in all 335's.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:

Don't the 08+ 335s come with oil coolers?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
TexE90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

^My 07 does.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Don't the 08+ 335s come with oil coolers?
Mine doesnt have them

I heard that in 2009 they started to not include them from non sport models. If that wasn't true then I have no idea why i dont have one. Mine is a 2009.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tres View Post
you are correct only if you have an oil cooler this mod would work. I thought bmw had a sib to install a free oil cooler for the cars that didnt come with any. Maybe a higher w oil might help also. Thats messed up that there are n54's without oil coolers.
If your BMW is not equipped with a BMW oil cooler but is prone to many limp modes you can sometimes get BMW (not with ease) to retrofit one in out of goodwill. I've seen it happen but you need a few instances of going into limp mode and some leg work to get it done for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
If your BMW is not equipped with a BMW oil cooler but is prone to many limp modes you can sometimes get BMW (not with ease) to retrofit one in out of goodwill. I've seen it happen but you need a few instances of going into limp mode and some leg work to get it done for free.
Thats interesting, although im at 63k and have yet to see temps over 255 I guess my car is doing a great job at keeping oil temps down. I also run 0w40 and did a fresh coolant change and spark plug change. Maybe those are helping too. I also added a 7" intercooler lol.

Is there a mileage limitation on getting them to do this retro fit if it ever ends up in limp mode? I drive in 100+ weather quite often and im surprised its yet to get above 260 without an oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats interesting, although im at 63k and have yet to see temps over 255 I guess my car is doing a great job at keeping oil temps down. I also run 0w40 and did a fresh coolant change and spark plug change. Maybe those are helping too. I also added a 7" intercooler lol.

Is there a mileage limitation on getting them to do this retro fit if it ever ends up in limp mode? I drive in 100+ weather quite often and im surprised its yet to get above 260 without an oil cooler.
It usually takes some effort. My car never personally went about 250F either but those who track the car hard (road course) have come close to limp mode even with stock oil cooler.

Your typical road use and commuting should not have a problem maintaining 250F. I dont know the logistics of what dealers if any will offer a retrofit out of goodwill. I've only heard stories of people getting them done out of goodwill. I would imagine it would need to fall atleast within warranty period of the vehicle. I would also assume they needed to have multiple instances of limp mode and probably had to get BMWNA involved too.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #20
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It usually takes some effort. My car never personally went about 250F either but those who track the car hard (road course) have come close to limp mode even with stock oil cooler.

Your typical road use and commuting should not have a problem maintaining 250F. I dont know the logistics of what dealers if any will offer a retrofit out of goodwill. I've only heard stories of people getting them done out of goodwill. I would imagine it would need to fall atleast within warranty period of the vehicle. I would also assume they needed to have multiple instances of limp mode and probably had to get BMWNA involved too.
Ahh that whats i was thinking too. I bought my car at carmax and bought there extended warranty upto 125k miles and was thinking that maybe if i ever get into limp mode ill just straight up take it to bmw and ask the guy about the oil cooler and see if he could possibly get carmax to pay for it under-warranty. I'm sure if they sent a proposal over saying these engines without oil coolers have a higher chance of breaking they would be more inclined go with it instead of the thought of buying a new engine.

Or maybe the carmax warranty company part of it will just say, well if it blows we will just replace it lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

My 08 non sport model does not have an oil cooler. I have not seen it go much more than a tick over 250 even when its 110+ outside. I have also never tracked the car so

I don't think your gonna have much luck getting something that doesn't exist replaced/added on an aftermarket warranty but GL
      07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbunny View Post
My 08 non sport model does not have an oil cooler. I have not seen it go much more than a tick over 250 even when its 110+ outside. I have also never tracked the car so

I don't think your gonna have much luck getting something that doesn't exist replaced/added on an aftermarket warranty but GL
Oh i dont plan on trying lol. I figured if it ever becomes an issue where the car is getting into limp mode during the life of my warranty i will try and press for it, but till then the car works great so no reason to mess with it.

When i first got it the temps ran about 250-260 average in 100+ degrees. Then i swapped to ngk (1 step colder plugs), coolant flush with 50/50, a bottle of super coolant, a 7" vrsf intercooler, and 0w40 mobile one oil (recommended oil by mobile 1) and now i average 240 and on a normal cruise its at 235, but when i hit the gas (for enjoyment) it will spike up to 245-250 and drop back to 240, then slowly reach 235. (this is with the splash shield btw).

I recently started putting in 30% ethanol and the car pulls much better, it also seems to not jump above the 250 temperature anymore after a nice 1-3 gear run, like it used to and i still hover around 235-240 degrees. I've never really done multiple runs since i need to hit the track for that, but after one semi good run its holding good. At this point an oil cooler doesnt seem like its needed (for me at least), but i'm sure as the car ages more things will change so it'll be something down the road to look into. Right now im looking into the vishnu e85 kit and running fuel e85 should help keep my temps down even more.

For anyone having temp problems, try out (1 step colder plugs, 0w40 mobile oil, or royal purple) and super coolant, and run a mix of ethanol (if you have it). You might be surprised to see a 10 degree drop in average temps across the board as long as the rest of the car is up to par. If this doesnt work, then get an oil cooler.
Appreciate 0