E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > M4 Engine parts on the 335 n54

07-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

M4 Engine parts on the 335 n54

I have been looking up the new m4 and it looks pretty nice, although 70k for a vert is more than im looking for so i'll just stick with my 335i till used ones pop up.

I was wondering how different this engine will be. I cant find any specs on it or anything. I did find an engine pic and it looks pretty similar to the n54/n55

I'd post an image but im not sure if its against the rules since it says the forum name embedded in the photo. If you google "bmw m4 engine bay" and click images you'll find it.

It's probably to early to tell since their is not alot of information on this car, but since the engine layout is similar i wonder how hard it would be to replace our turbos with the m4 turbos, downpipes, intercooler, inlet ect... The intercooler looks like an air to water one from the pic but i cant really say.

Anyone have any guesses or thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

Honestly, fat chance anything will bolt up..

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
Honestly, fat chance anything will bolt up..
i would disagree as the engine is based of an N55 which is very similar to the N54. I would say the main differences will be the internals, pistons etc, and turbos that will be different.
      07-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
uberbeast21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
I have been looking up the new m4 and it looks pretty nice, although 70k for a vert is more than im looking for so i'll just stick with my 335i till used ones pop up.

I was wondering how different this engine will be. I cant find any specs on it or anything. I did find an engine pic and it looks pretty similar to the n54/n55

I'd post an image but im not sure if its against the rules since it says the forum name embedded in the photo. If you google "bmw m4 engine bay" and click images you'll find it.

It's probably to early to tell since their is not alot of information on this car, but since the engine layout is similar i wonder how hard it would be to replace our turbos with the m4 turbos, downpipes, intercooler, inlet ect... The intercooler looks like an air to water one from the pic but i cant really say.

Anyone have any guesses or thoughts on this?
honestly with a good enough shop behind you you can really fabricate and do almost anything but the cost of doing this would be so much that you might as well get the m4 anyways

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
3 turbos vs 2 in the n54 or 1 in the n55 is about as much as I've heard and of course 420 hp is all they can muster.
it does not have 3 turbos
      07-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
it does not have 3 turbos
That's what to boys at my local bmw shop told me. If you have other info, lay it on me....

Edit, just googled and found this.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars

God, how can my local be so careless!!
      07-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

depending on the cost of the turbos (new) from the dealer that would determine if its even worth it to try and swap them lol. I have a feeling once the m4 is out for a few years and cars start turning into lemons, floods, crashes, upgrades ect... thats when the use parts market might pick up for us to get them.

I'm hoping that the parts are similar because oem swapped parts would be great for an upgrade.

Anyone have any idea of that is an air to water intercooler? Or do they have two intercoolers, one front mount like ours and an air to water one like in the pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
That's what to boys at my local bmw shop told me. If you have other info, lay it on me....

Edit, just googled and found this.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...17-future-cars

God, how can my local be so careless!!
Man our cars already packed in there. I couldn't imagine running 3 turbos, but man that would be sweet a turbo for every two cylinder's lol. I could only imagine the power curve on that one.
Appreciate 0