E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Selecting reverse gear

08-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Steed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 2009

Selecting reverse gear

Whats the correct or best technique for selecting reverse gear on a E90 320D

Is it down across to the left and forward?

or just across to the left and forward?

Seems more difficult than it should be.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

I was not aware you could press the gearlever down. I think selecting reverse is made a little awkward on purpose so you do not inadvertently select that gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Across to the left and forward. No pressing downwards required.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

I remember borrowing a pool car at work which was a 120d, and not being able to figure out how to get it into reverse!

Had to pop back inside and ask a colleague who had driven it.

Still think having something to push down or pull up would be a better solution.
In the first few days I had the car I managed to go into reverse by accident twice at lights when selecting gears in a panic!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the info,

The drivers manual says 'When the gearshift lever is pressed to the left, a little resistance has to be overcome'

Slightly more resistance than I expect, which is why I wondered if the lever needed pressing down which it obviously doesn't,
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 2009, 320i

The selection of reverse gear is a real pain in the E90 since it is sometimes very difficult to say if you are in the first gear or reverse. It is very easy to select reverse instead of first gear at traffic lights. I have done it plenty of times. It was better if it had either a light indication of a reverse gear selected or a press down and then only engage rear gear option as in audi so that no mistakes are made. I hope BMW is listening!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
The selection of reverse gear is a real pain in the E90 since it is sometimes very difficult to say if you are in the first gear or reverse. It is very easy to select reverse instead of first gear at traffic lights. I have done it plenty of times. It was better if it had either a light indication of a reverse gear selected or a press down and then only engage rear gear option as in audi so that no mistakes are made. I hope BMW is listening!
Doubt they are! BMW been doing their gears like this for ages. I think you'd get used to it eventually and it'll come like clockwork.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

You can put the car in to first with one finger, you can't put it in to reverse with one finger. If you're accidentally putting the car in to reverse, you're being too heavy handed with the gearknob, wanna treat it gently like a lady. No need to be shoving it around, let the box do most the work.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
Raj, I have to disagree, selecting reverse on my car requires quite a bit of force to overcome the spring resistance into reverse. the other gears are very intuitive and don't require any effort to select.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
You can put the car in to first with one finger, you can't put it in to reverse with one finger. If you're accidentally putting the car in to reverse, you're being too heavy handed with the gearknob, wanna treat it gently like a lady. No need to be shoving it around, let the box do most the work.
No chance of selecting reverse with one finger, it requires a very firm push to overcome the spring resistance, hence my original question. Car has done 45,000 miles, my hope is the pressure required becomes less and a little more lady like.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steed View Post
No chance of selecting reverse with one finger, it requires a very firm push to overcome the spring resistance, hence my original question. Car has done 45,000 miles, my hope is the pressure required becomes less and a little more lady like.
Yeah, that's what I said... You've gotta put it in to reverse, the rest of the gears are easy to find.

From N, push left lightly, feel the resistance, push harder until it won't go left anymore, then push up, simple.

Only problem I have is sometimes the clutch isn't fully depressed for it to go in to reverse.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
Steed
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Yeah, that's what I said... You've gotta put it in to reverse, the rest of the gears are easy to find.

From N, push left lightly, feel the resistance, push harder until it won't go left anymore, then push up, simple.

Only problem I have is sometimes the clutch isn't fully depressed for it to go in to reverse.
Sorry misread your other post, fully agree with technique.
Appreciate 0