E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Help me, Help me... (drowning in a pool of confusing a$$ tech)

09-24-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
shoepac11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Help me, Help me... (drowning in a pool of confusing a$$ tech)

So I've been searching forever, and just cant seem to find what I'm looking for. I guess first off, knowing what nav I have would be a good place to start. It's a 2008 335i Sedan. From the info that I've managed to gather I have the bigger screen, but the older software? I don't know the difference between CCC and CIC and all that nonsense, as I am a true grease monkey, and computers are usually my arch enemy! I'm slowly learning that's gotta change if i want to drive a sweet Bimmer. Can nav software even be updated? Are the DVD updates only maps? damn I'm clueless... There's lots of threads about problems, fixes, and upgrades, but not too many on actual component description and identification. I would love to end up with the newer software or whatever has the black menu screens, with a video interface for reverse camera and i want to be able to navigate and play audio and video files from my phone/usb storage device via in dash control. I'm pretty sure this car has pretty much all the bells and whistles, unfortunately, I'm just not too sure what that means for my cause. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Sorry for my ignorance, but its hard to learn what needs to be done, when you don't even know what you have.. Thanks tons, -Justin
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepac11 View Post
So I've been searching forever, and just cant seem to find what I'm looking for. I guess first off, knowing what nav I have would be a good place to start. It's a 2008 335i Sedan. From the info that I've managed to gather I have the bigger screen, but the older software? I don't know the difference between CCC and CIC and all that nonsense, as I am a true grease monkey, and computers are usually my arch enemy! I'm slowly learning that's gotta change if i want to drive a sweet Bimmer. Can nav software even be updated? Are the DVD updates only maps? damn I'm clueless... There's lots of threads about problems, fixes, and upgrades, but not too many on actual component description and identification. I would love to end up with the newer software or whatever has the black menu screens, with a video interface for reverse camera and i want to be able to navigate and play audio and video files from my phone/usb storage device via in dash control. I'm pretty sure this car has pretty much all the bells and whistles, unfortunately, I'm just not too sure what that means for my cause. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Sorry for my ignorance, but its hard to learn what needs to be done, when you don't even know what you have.. Thanks tons, -Justin
There might be a small software update for your iDrive, but to upgrade you need a new screen, DVD drive, iDrive controller, coding, etc. DVDs are only map updates.
      09-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
mythek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe TIAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoepac11 View Post
there are tons of information about this in this very own forums, and tons online. You probably didn't use the right keywords, or used too much unnecessary keywords.

Anyway to save you some time:
1) your system is a CCC, which use the ancient DVD for its navigation functions. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that there's no software update for this system unfortunately. The update dvd will only update the map. This is the biggest disappointment I have for my 2008 335i. I can't believe a $50,000 car still use such an outdated technology. YES, even outdated for the year of 2008.

2) for CCC systems, you can access your mp3 via USB port only if you have that adapter installed. It is an option that you can add on at the dealership, or have it retro-fitted. You can even buy the whole CIC system and have it retro-fitted to your car. However, it is costly....ranging anywhere from $1600 to over $2000 (not including labor/installation cost).

3) CIC systems are found in 2009 models and newer. they use an actual hard drive instead of dvd. I'm sure you can update the software of this system.
Appreciate 0