2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 6NR BMW Apps / Deezer with Android?

10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

6NR BMW Apps / Deezer with Android?

Got an f10 on order and on the verge of adding a couple more options before it's build is locked in.

I'm considering adding the Professional Media Package which includes 6AK (BMW Online) and 6NR (BMW Apps) I'm not after adding 6NS (Enhanced Bluetooth) at this point as I'd rather connect via USB for audio than stream it, also it looks like 6NS is codeable if I do feel I need it later.

I'm particularly liking the idea of having 'Deezer' as my main music source with the ability to play from the devices library and stream over the internet with full control /album art via idrive. I currently use Spotify both in the car and through my home Sonos setup but will switch to Deezer simply for the intergration with BMW.

All the BMW literature obviously details this all working as above and being compatable with iPhone but I'm now an Android man having got a bit bored of Apple some time ago.

Does anyone know if BMW Apps as above works via Andriod? (GS3 in particular)

My dealer can't be sure and BMW UK are none the wiser having suggested I buy a Y cable, which i think hasn't been needed for several years now?!?

I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find a definite answer. There are rumblings that BMW Apps supports Android from July '14 but its not clear whether this is full or limited functionality.

As a possible work around I have an IPod Touch I could leave in the car but teather it via WiFi to my phone for streaming. I can't see why this wouldn't work?

The only limitation being I think it's a second generation touch so I'm not sure what the highest IOS is it can take.

Can anyone answer the Android question or is anyone running a teathered iPod touch? If so what is the minimum IOS?

Thanks All
      03-21-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
Andehh
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 530d 11

Sorry to bump an old thread, but all of his questions are the same as mine. Can anyone offer any advice? I am looking at a BMW f10 530d Nov 10 car, with pro nav.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Andehh
Rep

Anyone able to comment at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

What are you specifically after clarifying?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Andehh
Rep

In short, with my budget I am looking at F10 530D. I will ensure it has a build week after 39/post September to ensure it has the Combox/6VC. What I am keen to know is what the capabilities of this car will be in terms of internet connectivity/mobile integration/music streaming and what an Android phone + BMW app will allow me to do.

I just want to make sure the above will allow me to play/control Spotify via the idrive, turn the blowers on in summer, check if locked/unlocked, 'send to car' via google etc....

I am also open to the idea of getting an IPOD touch, leaving it in the car with a data simcard in it, and having it as a 'permanent' internet radio/spotify/internet link for the car if the android app isn't much good?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #6
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

Can you elaborate on what Combox/6VC is which cars it us in and what features it brings. Ta
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Andehh
Rep

Just to bring it to the top, hoping to buy a car end of the month!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
BeeEmmDubleYuu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not sure if this helps anyone but on my LCI version, i was able to connect an Android device using the centre USB port. Following that i went into Connections and added some apps (Calendar, Mail). Im not sure if theres any other apps that allow you to drag them into the BMW app and allow you to use it as im not an Android man but wanted to see what was available that wasnt available with my Windows Phone.

I couldnt find an app to unlock the car etc with Android but did find one with Apple. As for the internet if you have the option in your car it seems pretty stable for me and not too slow either, however in UK i believe you need to have the latest version of the software on your car (if you have a little cog around the area where you would see options i think that would be the latest. If not and the internet doesnt work one day then it would mean its crashed and would need a dealer to install the software fix.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0