E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fun with the cold!

01-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Fun with the cold!

Anyone care to share stories about how hilarious their days have been with this unusual cold sweeping the US? Word is that this is the coldest it's been in at least 20ish years. It's kind of a silly forum thread, but might as well all share in the cold misery together. People who live in colder climates are free to share their experiences and call us all wimps, hahaha.

My car read -12 F this morning. It felt cold of course, but proper attire is key. I felt fine walking out to my car, driving in to work, and walking to my office building from where I park.

My car was definitely riding on the struggle bus this morning, but she still started, though slowly. It was more like a rurrrrr rurrr rurrr sputter sputter rurr rurr sputter VOOM... because that makes complete sense, haha.

No engine warning lights, not even a battery indicator light (knock on wood). I had gotten the yellow car-on-lift light due to low battery a couple times since Nov., but I made sure to drive a lot this weekend to charge the battery up. Access to a power outlet for a trickle charger is unfortunately an issue for me where I park. That aside, I did have low tire pressure at all four corners, haha. Too cold to try and inflate them. I took it easy driving to work, which, by the way, I drove an extra long distance to let the engine warm up nicely and so I could charge up the battery more (of course).

My tires were also frozen to the ground in my parking spot. I just eased out of the spot nicely and was good to go. It made quite a sound though as the car moved forward and unstuck itself!

In any case, not all of us are used to this cold and even for those of us who are: Please be safe, everyone! Keep warm!
      01-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

beware of the tires frozen to the ground if it will last more than a week
you may damage car if you try too fast free your car
otherwise check your coolant freeze point - can damage plastic pipes
washer fluid freeze point - can damage headlight washer nozzles and they start leak
headlight washer nozzles can stop to return in bumper
suspension will be stiff, and make noise on any road bumps

good studded tires (good year ultra grip extreme) are recommended for ice roads
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I'm actually having new tires installed on my car tomorrow afternoon so I'm not TOO worried about my tires right now. I can't wait to get rid of the crappy OEM Turanza RFTs. I was very nice about getting my car moving. I basically crept forward at idle speed until I had to drive on to the street. Even then, I accelerated very gradually and drove gently my entire way to work.

The other info about fluids and all that is actually very good to know. It's supposed to get back in to the mid-teens (F) by Wednesday though then mid-20s Thursday and even low-mid 30s this weekend, so I'm not that concerned. It's mostly today and tomorrow that will be a bit rough on the car.

The suspension has definitely been making noise, haha. I haven't concerned myself with it though. We had some bitter cold in Indiana every now and then and obviously more often since I moved to Milwaukee a few years ago. I'm used to a creaky car and more rattles in the cold.

Thanks for the heads up and general advice!

Last edited by norsairius; 01-06-2014 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
pk_
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i X-Drive

I saved so much gas driving to work today, I pretty much glided my way here..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Meanwhile in Florida....lol
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
The Greater Toronto Area is supposed to go down to -25 with windchill of -38 Celsius tonight (-36F). Hoping my car starts tomorrow since it sits outside overnight ._.
      01-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Temps here in CT have been all over the map. It was -5 the other day, and today it's 40 degrees and raining.

These cars are really well suited for the snow and cold weather, though. Usually you won't have a problem starting it unless you're approaching seriously cold temps... -30, -40, etc. Obviously, if you can keep the car in an attached and/or heated garage, that's best.

Stay safe out there, people.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
AlexMilwaukee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW Saddle Brown 335i E92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My car was a balmy -15 today! Yippee! The suspension was definitely not happy with how cold it was. I forgot to bring lunch to work today, so some poor sap will have to deliver a sandwich to me today. I'll make sure to tip him this time Kidding I always tip.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

My car lived in Florida it's whole life until I bought it, today I had to drive to Asheville, NC for work. I could tell my car was like "WTF ARE YOU DOING TO MEEEE?!" Probably the coldest my car has ever seen, about 10 degrees and snow.