E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ExhaustMeister

01-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
ExhaustMeister

I didn't want to spend the money (estimated at $1.5-$2k installed) for the minimal potential HP gains (5-10hp) for an aftermarket catback exhaust system and didn't want to have to listen 24/7 to the sound of an aftermarket exhaust on my 2008 335i E90/N54. So, I ordered and just received/installed an ExhaustMeister remote control unit for $121 (including shipping). Here's the link to the 2007-2010 335i order form: http://www.exhaustmeister.com/produc...35i-2007-2010/.

All the ExhaustMeister does is allow you to open and close the exhaust flap in a stock (and maybe an aftermarket) exhaust at will, so that you can have a fuller/mellower tone from your exhaust all the time, instead of just over 3000 rpms when the flap is apparently programmed to open on its own. I do not expect ANY performance benefits from this installation; just generally better sound/tone from the stock exhaust. I learned about the ExhaustMeister on the M5 Forum (http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877828) and ordered it from here:

http://www.exhaustmeister.com/

You can see/hear clips of an 335i and M5 w/the ExhaustMeister in operation on the product's website. Must say that the M5 sounds better but that's due to the difference in the exhaust systems/cars to begin with. Frankly, I don't notice that much difference in my 335i with the flap open, but it's hard to tell exactly what it sounds like just reving the engine and without being "outside" to listen to the car passing by.

The install was very easy and all of the instructions are on the product website. No instructions came w/the wiring, which was a little annoying, but not a big deal; just had to go back online to review and print them. The hardest thing to do was to remove the gray plastic trim piece which covers the lower wall and top edge of the trunk when you open it, in order to lift up the trunk's left interior side panel to access the switch wiring. Broke one of the plastic pop rivets holding the trim piece in place but it shouldn't be that expensive to replace. Otherwise, it's just plug and play. Insert the new wiring bypass in the OEM fittings (male to female and female to male), mount the attached metal box (which I assume contains the transmission & switch bypass wiring) w/velcro in the space available and then secure the ground wire and you're ready to go.

The instructions say to ground the wiring to the taillight bolt but that wasn't a good ground for me; switch didn't work when that was used as a ground. I saw a wiring assembly mounted to the body directly opposite the taillight w/a 10mm nut without any paint on it and used that for the ground; it worked fine.

The remote switch for the ExhaustMeister uses 2 different frequencies to open and close the exhaust flap. So, I had to use the remaining 2 "garage door" memory buttons in my car in order to program them with the ExhaustMeister open/close frequencies and they work fine. So, no need to carry or use one of the 2 remotes that come with the unit.

According to the posts on the M5 Forum, the system supposedly resets (and the flap closes) each time you turn off the car, which means you have to reopen the flap each time you start the car BUT that's not the case for my installation. When I open the flap, it stays open (whether or not I turn off the car) until I intentionally close it. I prefer this but this is different than what the M5 people are saying. Nothing is actually mentioned about this on the product's website. So, the 335i and M5 systems may differ in this regard.

Will post update reporting my experience with the ExhaustMaster after I've driven and lived with it for awhile.

Update: I just heard back from the manufacturer and the operation of the ExhaustMeister as I've described it is "normal" for a 335i and OBTW, if you decide to buy/install it, DO NOT cut the BLUE WIRE in the wiring assembly. It's just a loose wire and there was no explanation of what it was for. I asked if I could cut it off and was told that it's the antenna. So, cutting it is a no-no. LOL!!!

Last edited by SSW; 01-06-2014 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
Supacat72.50
      01-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
The exhaust flap stays open when you unplug the connection in the trunk where the ExhaustMeister plugs in. Correct me if I am wrong but all this appears to do is let you control the valve with the wireless remote without manually plugging and unplugging the cable in the trunk.(which takes 2 seconds to do) Also if you leave it unplugged so the valve is open you will not get any codes. Its not priced bad but it seems pointless for most people.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Unless you plan to retain the valve for an aftermarket catback, this doesn't seem like a real cost effective product. The exhaust flap on the 335 opens under load as it is, why you would want to control it being open when the car is idling or in town on a stock exhaust as opposed to just unplugging the cable in the back doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
True, you could just unplug the switch plug but it really is a PITA to get at the plug if you need to plug/unplug it regularly and, from what I've read, you may trigger a CEL if you unplug it.

Only reason I got the ExhaustMeister was so that I could get a slightly better tone from the exhaust (whether or NOT the revs are up or not) w/o those problems. Obviously, it's not a mod for everyone but someone else might be interested in it for the same reasons I got it, which is why I posted info about it.

Also, IMO, the ExhaustMeister no more "pointless" than cosmetic or other non-functional mods that people put on their cars; just as cosmetic mods make the car "look" nicer without improving performance, the ExhaustMeister can provide a somewhat nicer exhaust tone while idling and driving sedately, without doing anything to improve performance either. However, from what I've seen, the ExhaustMeister is certainly much cheaper than a variety of cosmetic parts that you can buy for your BMW.

In any event, the ExhaustMeister suits me just fine, because all I wanted was a slightly better exhaust note without having to pay bigger bucks for a catback exhaust system that would be too noisy for me (been there, done that) and simply too expensive for the minimal HP gain that I might provide.

To each his own.

Last edited by SSW; 01-06-2014 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just to be clear what we are talking about, here's a video of sound the ExhaustMeister w/the flap open and closed on a 2008 335i:

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

I think we all know what the flap is... IMO, i woulda spent the money on electric cutouts. At least then its a MUCH different sound than just opening the flap, which does nearly nothing.
      01-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankster View Post
I think we all know what the flap is... IMO, i woulda spent the money on electric cutouts. At least then its a MUCH different sound than just opening the flap, which does nearly nothing.
+1 golf tee mod that costs 121 dollars.

i rather get a jb4 and have a tune that can also control the valve but do a bunch of other things also. jb4 =no battery/keyfob to die or lose.

cutouts are a good idea, until they break :/ But still a better option then exhaustmiester.

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Interesting.

No love expressed for the ExhaustMeister here yet but much more apparent support for it (or at least not as much negative commentary about it) among the M5 crowd.

Last edited by SSW; 01-06-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
+1 golf tee mod that costs 121 dollars.

i rather get a jb4 and have a tune that can also control the valve but do a bunch of other things also. jb4 =no battery/keyfob to die or lose.

cutouts are a good idea, until they break :/ But still a better option then exhaustmiester.
Agree, just the closest to what he wants that actually does something
      01-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

So this thing costs $121 and does what me unplugging a cable does?

The noise difference, which is bugger all on the 335, is not enough to warrant switching it 'on demand'.

I guess you are easily parted with your money... which is strange seeing as you don't want to spend money on something that a) increases power and b) actually sounds better

If you would like to waste some more money on a random mod, I'm sure I can sell you something for $121 that you really need also!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker View Post
Interesting.

No love expressed for the ExhaustMeister here yet but much more apparent support for it (or at least not as much negative commentary about it) among the M5 crowd.
Many of them can already do that via steering wheel commands, one of the features on the JB4
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:26 AM   #12
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Most expensive gold tee mod ever.
Appreciate 1
213e90n51367.50
      01-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335 View Post
I guess you are easily parted with your money... which is strange seeing as you don't want to spend money on something that a) increases power and b) actually sounds better

If you would like to waste some more money on a random mod, I'm sure I can sell you something for $121 that you really need also!
FWIW, I think that $121 is a drop in the bucket as far as spending money on any car -- particularly a BMW -- is concerned. I've certainly "wasted" more money on cars and other things than $121 and I think that's a small sum to get a more pleasing sound out of the car at idle and at low revs.

FYI, I've owned a lot of vehicles in my life and I've installed cat back exhausts for other cars before, but I just didn't want to do this with the 335i because it just didn't seem "right" for this car to me. BUT I also really didn't want to buy a noisy and expensive exhaust system that will not significantly increase HP and IMO would not a very "cost effective" performance mod.

What I did do, was buy a Cobb Accessport V3 and Mishimoto intercooler. I've already received the Cobb but am waiting for the Mishimoto before I "tune" the engine. Total cost for these 2 items was just $1500, which should yield an additional 50-60 BHP with a Cobb Stage 1+ FMIC Sport tune over the 320 BHP that I'm supposedly getting w/the PPK Stage 1 flash that is already in the car.

That's a cost of about $25-30 per HP which is a much better yield than the roughly $150-$400 per HP that I'd have to pay for the estimated 5-10HP gain on a $1500-2000 exhaust system. So, I figure that my "savings" from NOT buying an inefficient and noisy exhaust system has more than paid for the $121 for the ExhaustMeister and the $60 K&N filter that I also threw in even though I don't think it will effect performance much either.

BTW, my primary objective was to keep my 335i as "stock" in appearance as possible and to only install mods that were easily removed and smog (other otherwise) "legal" and/or undectable upon casual inspection. Installing an aftermarket exhaust would not maintain the stock appearance or sound of the car, would not be easily reversible and, if it was louder than 95DB, would be illegal in CA. No such problem w/the ExhaustMeister and Cobb/Misihmoto IC mods because they are all inconspicuous and easily removed (or, in the case of the Exhaust Meister & IC, easily overlooked).

Of course, I've considered adding a DCI and CAI to the car as well, but there are no CARB legal CAI units available in CA and the only CARB legal DCI is the InJen, which I like, but obviously does not maintain the car's "stock" appearance. Downpipes are out of the question for me. So, eliminating the intake and cat back exhaust only leaves about 10-20 BHP on the table, which for my purposes isn't important since I have no interest in racing or trying to get the lowest possible ETs.

The only other thing of any note that I'm adding to the car is the OEM alarm system that I've also already ordered. After that's installed and programmed, I'm done doing any other mods and will limit further expenses to proper maintenance of the car, which as is often pointed out in this forum, can be quite expensive.

Ciao!!!

Last edited by SSW; 01-07-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #14
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Wait until you forgot to open the flap, increased the back pressure and pop! engine goes boom because you are messing with the exhaust pressures!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #15
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:

FYI, I've owned a lot of vehicles in my life and I've installed cat back exhausts for other cars before, but I just didn't want to do this with the 335i because it just didn't seem "right" for this car to me.
Well this comment leads me to believe that you haven't owned a turbo car before, because an exhaust and turbo's go together like strawberries and cream..

DP's + exhaust = win

$121 Flap opener = fail
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #16
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Corvette crowd has one too (need NPP sport exhaust option)

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...2006-2013.aspx

BTW you do get a code when you unplug the wire in the trunk, but not a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #17
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i
Wait until you forgot to open the flap, increased the back pressure and pop! engine goes boom because you are messing with the exhaust pressures!
Not sure if joking or retarded
Appreciate 4
      01-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #18
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
The exhaust flap opens "normally" at 3k rpm when it's in the closed position to start with. ExhaustMeister just opens the flap below 3k rpm and keeps it open until it is closed again for a totally open system.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Not sure if joking or retarded
I think he's joking. I hope.

At any rate not everyone is a savvy as most of us forum guys.

For an average joe that was looking for this electronic option it is cheaper then a JB4 and you can do it in the comfort of your car without unplugging or popping in a golf tee.

It's expensive and trivial to us cause we know better but all in all it does fit somebody out there.

I think this was more popular on other platforms and the company simply just put it onto this platform cause they could.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335 View Post
Well this comment leads me to believe that you haven't owned a turbo car before, because an exhaust and turbo's go together like strawberries and cream..

DP's + exhaust = win
We obviously have different objectives. As I already said, I'm not interested in racing or achieving the lowest ETs. So, "winning" is entirely irrelevant to me.

I just wanted a slightly better sound from the stock exhaust system which is what the ExhaustMeister conveniently provides for (what is to me) a modest cost without having to resort to crude DIY methods such as the "Golf Tee" (aka "disconnect the switch") Mod which can result in CELs that would be extremely annoying -- even more annoying than an aftermarket exhaust system.

BTW, one of my previously owned cars was a 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo and it was entirely stock. Like the 944 Turbo, the 335i's stock exhaust system is just fine the way it is and adding an aftermarket exhaust to it will just make it annoyingly louder (to me) and only marginally faster at that. I also currently own a Ford F250 Turbo Diesel, if that matters.

Last edited by SSW; 02-10-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
As I already said, I'm not interested in racing or achieving the lowest ETs. So, "winning" is entirely irrelevant to me.

I just wanted a slightly better sound from the stock exhaust system which is what the ExhaustMeister conveniently provides for (what is to me) a modest cost without having to resort to crude DIY methods such as the "Golf Tee" (aka "disconnect the switch") Mod which can result in CELs that would be extremely annoying -- even more annoying than an aftermarket exhaust system.

BTW, one of my previously owned cars was a 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo and it was entirely stock. Like the 335i, the 944 Turbo's stock system was fine the way it was and adding an aftermarket exhaust would have just made it annoyingly louder and only marginally faster.
Golf Tee mod doesn't throw any CEL's and does the exact same thing as the product you're promoting
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #22
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

LOL

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0