E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Serious help needed

01-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Sepii
Rep
Drives: 330xd

Serious help needed

I think I'm so fucking screwed right now. Came just home from the local repair shop and heard the worst news I just could imagine. My 330d ´07 e90's DPF and turbo is blown. The mechanic said that he hasn't never seen a DPF blown before since it's specially treated metal.
It all started when I were driving on the highway back to home, and I suddenly see like sparks coming out of my exhaust. I stop immediately to check the damage but couldn't see nothing back then (obviously). My first thought was that the exhaust pipe had blown, so I drove it safe and slowly to my home. I took the car the next day to the repair shop, and today I got the news.
The mechanic said that the only reason he could see why the DPF would blow is the JBD which I had installed a couple weeks earlier, but I read so many reviews and didn't heard anyone else had this problem.
So a new oem factory DPF would cost about 2200 euros and a new turbo 1300-1500 euros plus the labor which the repair guy said would be another 3k (he said it's very time consuming job), so a total of 7-8k. Am I really this screwed or is there anything I could do? I'm so f**king desperate right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Personal experience - I had a turbo crap out on me on a '99 Ford after about 80K miles. It would have cost $thousands to repair, so I did a cost analysis and decided to dump the car. They gave me $2K for the car, but that was pretty nice of them because it really wasn't worth that much.

Cars are machines and they break. Hate to say it, but situations like yours are why saving money is so important.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Yeah I doubt it has anything to do with the JBD.

Couldn't you just delete the DPF system instead of replacing it? I'm sure that'll cost less than a replacement. I'm a bit baffled about the turbos crapping out though.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

If I were in the UK and had your problem, I'd call ecotune (http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/) and see if a catless/dpf-less downpipe and tune would be less than a new DPF. Still have to pay for the turbo, but ...
Appreciate 0