E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Prerequisites to adding a tune?

01-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Prerequisites to adding a tune?

Hey guys, I was wondering if my car requires anything before I add in a jb4 stage 3 tune. Read through the forums and I understand you can add in a dci and a downpipe but from what I read on the site it states I can have only the tune and everything else stock. I'm running an 07 335 e90 with about 75k miles all fluids have been checked and replaced when needed. I'll be doing the spark plugs before I add in the tune. Is there anything else I should check or add before applying the tune? When asking friends they talk about upgrading suspension and all sorts of jazz so the car can handle if, but according to the forums many people have fully stock e90s with just the tune...what am I missing here?

335i Manual Swap Project http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207505
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
Digitalism
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

A well maintained and good working order vehicle is all you really need.
The best quality fuel for your area wouldn't go astray either.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #3
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalism
Sounds good, what so you recommended I start off getting? Just the tune itself or with a dci

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
Knobi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalism
+1
Based on your mileage, I would advice you to replace your coil packs as you do your spark plugs to avoid misfiring with your JB4.
You will be fine running stock, although I doubt it'll last too long once you realize the potential on these engines is more than you expected. I only wanted "tinted windows"... that didn't last too long
      01-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Doit. The JB4 delivers a serious kick in the nuts over stock power levels. You'll be amazed at what a tune alone can do!

I think that the best bang-for-your-buck (post JB4) would be a downpipe(s). I do, however, see that you are from California; I've heard that they don't take kindly to emissions tampering.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Minimum requirements: A turbo and an N55
Recommended: two turbos, 4 cats, and an N54

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Alright, thank you everyone for your input. I'll start of with the tune seeing as how that's the best bang for buck and I'll replace the coils/plugs using that Cobb video on the sticky. They say 25k on the plugs then replace, but what about the coils, when do they need replacing?

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Why is this in the N55 section?

Coil packs on the N54 start going out around your mileage with a tune, wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them to prevent issues down the road. There's really no magic mileage number, it's just good to have new ignition components when you start tuning because unless you've owned the car since day one, you have no idea how it was driven or what condition everything you can't see is in.

Invest in BMS DCI when you purchase the JB4. Best combo of power mods for the money when you first start out. It's a slippery slope after that though because before you know it you're adding DP's and an FMIC.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick380 View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if my car requires anything before I add in a jb4 stage 3 tune. Read through the forums and I understand you can add in a dci and a downpipe but from what I read on the site it states I can have only the tune and everything else stock. I'm running an 07 335 e90 with about 75k miles all fluids have been checked and replaced when needed. I'll be doing the spark plugs before I add in the tune. Is there anything else I should check or add before applying the tune? When asking friends they talk about upgrading suspension and all sorts of jazz so the car can handle if, but according to the forums many people have fully stock e90s with just the tune...what am I missing here?
personally I say a charge pipe as the stock cp doesn't last very long with the higher boost levels. and spark plugs and a dci if you want. I personally don't even think you need dci that bad.. some people say car feels better without it but of course the argument can go on forever technically speaking the dci will get you more air which is what you want with a tune so go for it! let us know what you do
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Bobby_Sardells
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobi View Post
+1
Based on your mileage, I would advice you to replace your coil packs as you do your spark plugs to avoid misfiring with your JB4.
You will be fine running stock, although I doubt it'll last too long once you realize the potential on these engines is more than you expected. I only wanted "tinted windows"... that didn't last too long
your car is the nicest non-mtech 3 series i have seen. Well done sir
sorry lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Knobi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Sardells
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobi View Post
+1
your car is the nicest non-mtech 3 series i have seen. Well done sir
sorry lol
Much Appreciated! I'll update the Build-Thread soon
      01-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
nick380
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift
Why is this in the N55 section?

Coil packs on the N54 start going out around your mileage with a tune, wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them to prevent issues down the road. There's really no magic mileage number, it's just good to have new ignition components when you start tuning because unless you've owned the car since day one, you have no idea how it was driven or what condition everything you can't see is in.

Invest in BMS DCI when you purchase the JB4. Best combo of power mods for the money when you first start out. It's a slippery slope after that though because before you know it you're adding DP's and an FMIC.
Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry for posting in the wrong thread I was at work at the time so I might've been distracted and chose the wrong forum I'm using the iPhone app so I might've touched the wrong thread. I'll probably go with the tune and dci combo, replace the coils and sparks and see how it runs! Should I do a transmission fluid change as well in order for the tranny to handle the extra power easier? I know people usually say at 100k but with a tune would this need to be some earlier?

Appreciate 0