THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Urgent News: A Must Read

02-14-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Urgent News: A Must Read

OK fellow members, I finally saw the M235i at the Toronto Auto Show today, and have a few surprises/insights to share:

First, the standard 18" rims are even uglier than I had expected, so look to upgrade when ordering to 19" rims (w summer tires) for an extra $500 to $1K. The salesman indicated it is far cheaper to upgrade now when ordering from the factory than to try to buy 19" rims from the dealer later.

Second, the car apparently comes standard with cup-holders in the front and an armrest (w integrated cup-holders) in the rear, and fairly wide door compartments that will hold bottles, etc., so there appears to be little need to get the "storage compartment pkg" for $200 CAD (which apparently gets u a cargo net in the trunk which can be adjusted on rails).

Third, and most importantly, the dreaded ferrite grey slats everyone was expecting on the front facia are gone - I repeat gone - providing a much more clean and aggressive look for the M235i.

Fourth, the mirror caps are black on the bottom and thankfully apparently can be ordered with body-colour on top as standard (or if u prefer custom painted black or whatever u want per se). I'd stick w the body colour option. Can anyone confirm body-color is standard, cause I thought the dreaded ferrite grey came standard?

Fifth, the hexagon trim appears to be much better than that in the 4-series - it is really nice and approximates that found in the M cars. This trim option is a must, and probably looks best w HB highlight.

Sixth, surprisingly the rear legroom is not too bad. To my utter surprise, however, it is the rear head room that is very confining. I'm 5'9" ish and my hair was brushing against the ceiling in the rear seat. Nevertheless, the car is acceptable to accommodate 2 medium height adults in the rear.

Seventh, the interior is sweet - nice beefy steering wheel, comfortable, etc.

Eighth, thankfully, the rear spoiler comes standard with the body colour (I think everyone pretty much already knew that anyway, but figured I'd mention it here).

A few extra comments. They had only one M235i (no 228i) on display in EB on black. Didn't particularly like the EB (not my taste). Saw the Terra interior on an X5 and under white indoor light (driver's side of vehicle was exposed to this lighting) it has a slight burgundy hue, but looks browner and better under warmer incandescent lighting (passenger side of vehicle had this type of lighting). I guess Terra will look different depending on the lighting indoors and outside. Leaning towards MW on Terra, w hexagon trim and HB highlight, auto. Overall the car looks very nice - best that BMW has out there right now IMHO and puts the 4-series to shame. Overall the car isn't perfect - a tad small - but is a damn fine machine.

Last edited by Cosa Nostra; 02-14-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

Great info here man. A few things I was worried about were the mirrors and wheels. So glad the wheels can be ordered in 19's. Now just to be clear, your saying the mirrors on the m235i can be ordered in body color? If so that's the way to go. I like the grey but most likely go with the new 19 inch rims. So that must go as well. Either way good write up. One another note. Any chance this will be shown at the ft worth auto show next week? If anyone knows that would be great
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedbacks

Can you tell me how the access to the backseats are like. Example if i have to put my 2 yr old to his carseat, will it be very difficult?

No pics? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
Great info here man. A few things I was worried about were the mirrors and wheels. So glad the wheels can be ordered in 19's. Now just to be clear, your saying the mirrors on the m235i can be ordered in body color? If so that's the way to go. I like the grey but most likely go with the new 19 inch rims. So that must go as well. Either way good write up. One another note. Any chance this will be shown at the ft worth auto show next week? If anyone knows that would be great
Thanks bud - this info is all based on discussions I had at the show w two salesmen - I'm still not convinced that its that easy to upgrade to 19s so cheaply, and am very concerned that the mirror caps don't come body colour as standard (but rather dreaded grey), so we need confirmation on these two vital points.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks

Can you tell me how the access to the backseats are like. Example if i have to put my 2 yr old to his carseat, will it be very difficult?

No pics? lol
No time for pics regrettably LOL. As for rear seat access, basically same mechanism as the old 335i coupe (no real improvements here at all). However, that being said, I think it w/b a struggle but bearable to stuff those kiddies in the back car seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
modeboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp / HS / DCT

Greg, you're in Toronto, right? So, the ordering options for the mirror caps, etc, may likely be different from what we can do here in the US.

My MG/CR M235i just finished production! Bam, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have the car at the auto show. I'll try and find out from my dealer friend.

JB
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

I should be at the autoshow next weekend. If so, I'll check out the back seat and the ingress/egress ease.

I'll take photos as well, including the hex trim. This is the first that I heard its different from my F30 so that'll be interesting.
      02-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeboy View Post
Greg, you're in Toronto, right? So, the ordering options for the mirror caps, etc, may likely be different from what we can do here in the US.

My MG/CR M235i just finished production! Bam, I can't imagine that they wouldn't have the car at the auto show. I'll try and find out from my dealer friend.

JB
Thx bud! I'm ordering to day but can likely postpone such options?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
I should be at the autoshow next weekend. If so, I'll check out the back seat and the ingress/egress ease.

I'll take photos as well, including the hex trim. This is the first that I heard its different from my F30 so that'll be interesting.
Thx bud! You gonna love that hexagon trim, and that's coming from someone who normally opts for woof trim to boot!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Got the VIN for my M235i yesterday - hooray. Also got the bad news that edwintertires.com will NOT have rentals for this model for my March 8 ED - boo.

I saw the car at the Detroit auto show. I wasn't too excited about the standard wheel at first, but I actually liked it better after seeing it in person.

Also ordered the hex trim, despite my CA really pushing for the brushed aluminum.

Back seat leg room is a bit better than my buddy's 128i, but the rear headroom is an issue, as you mentioned. I'm 5'11" and also was just touching the headliner, but the Detroit car had a sunroof. Did the Toronto car also have sunroof? I wouldn't sit back there for any length of time if I was over 5'10".

There's an explanation of the storage package on the Canadian configurator, when you select that option. There's a bit more than just the rear cargo net and tie-down rails.

When I ordered (Dec. 17), there was no option for body-colour mirror caps. Would love to make that change (Black Sapphire Metallic) What's your source for this info?

I agree on the interior - very nice room, finish, ergonomics for the front two seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post

I tried this out in Chicago. It's very similar to the E82 as far as getting in and out - there is more room once you're back there though. So that's an improvement for sure.