E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil leaking and Serpentine belt rubbing

03-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
dhc905
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Oil leaking and Serpentine belt rubbing

It's almost like the "on the first day of christmas, oil was leaking from my 325i" on the second day of christmas, the serpentine belt is rubbing".

I don't want to get to the 12th day of christmas.

Anyway, I took two pictures and was hoping someone can lend a hand here.

It is leaking right in the center of the photo where the metal peice holding the oil filter and the actual engine block meet.

I'm going to take a stab and say I need to replace the serpentine belt and my head gasket is leaking. If the second one is true - time to trade my beloved car in?

Any idea how long I may have before something catastrophic happens?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
dhc905
Private
United_States
Rep

Actually, maybe it's the Valve Cover Gasket?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc905
It's almost like the "on the first day of christmas, oil was leaking from my 325i" on the second day of christmas, the serpentine belt is rubbing".

I don't want to get to the 12th day of christmas.

Anyway, I took two pictures and was hoping someone can lend a hand here.

It is leaking right in the center of the photo where the metal peice holding the oil filter and the actual engine block meet.

I'm going to take a stab and say I need to replace the serpentine belt and my head gasket is leaking. If the second one is true - time to trade my beloved car in?

Any idea how long I may have before something catastrophic happens?
Very common problems with the n52' I just had these 2 things fixed on mine, plus a new oil pan gasket!
It's not too bad, the oil leak is the oil filter housing, about an hour job. The belt problem is the tensioner and it too isn't too costly of a repair.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
dhc905
Private
United_States
Rep

Awesome that's really good to hear.

Did you do the oil filter housing yourself? If not, how much did it cost you to have them both done?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
dtea604
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

If your already doing the mainrence get the serpintine package which is abitniver 200 valve cover gasket forgot price and head gasket seal.
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

You need to replace your oil filter housing gasket, drain the coolant first from the radiator and replace this as-well, as its going to be ice tea colored and contaminated with oil.

When you refill coolant make sure to follow the electronic bleeding procedure thats posted on this forum, and mix 50/50 with distilled water and OEM BMW Coolant NOTHING else.

I recommend using nothing other then a cleaner (brake cleaner, parts wash) and microfiber cloth to cleaning the mounting surfaces when you replace the gasket.

Your belt and belt tensioner look shot as well, when this happens the belt isn't held on tightly and drifts all over the place like its about to come off.
When you replace the tensioner the special aluminum bolt has to be replaced and torqued correctly see the DIY posted in this forum for details, also consider replacing the idler pulley at the same time which comes with it's replacement bolt.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #7
dhc905
Private
United_States
Rep

Great thanks guys. I think what I have on the docket to do next weekend is:

Replace:

main drive belt, 11287549150
mechanical belt tensioner with pulley, 11287530314
deflection pulley, 11287535860
mounting bolt

(part of Turners serpentine belt package)

Oil Filter housing gasket

Maybe the Valve Cover Gasket (maybe not - might get a shop to do this one judging from the DIY).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 02:45 AM   #8
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I would hold off on the valve cover gasket and do the other stuff first, it's somewhat challenging depending on your skill level.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
dhc905
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah after looking at the DIY, I think that's probably out of my wheelhouse.

As a somewhat follow up question - do you think the serpentine belt or oil gasket would lead to a reduction in power? It seems like my car has been lacking the same oomph it had a couple months ago and I think my fuel consumption has gone up...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The oil filter housing gasket would cause a vacuum leak leading to a poor idle, but otherwise no.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
reconandrevelry
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90

I have a small vacuum leak and now have a CEL. I wonder if that's my problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
dhc905
Private
United_States
Rep

Bought the parts and had a mechanic replace (was going to do myself, but also decided to throw in new spark plugs and didn't want to screw anything up).

Cost me $450 with an oil change for labor and car runs like new, even after swapping the OEM US airbox for the Euro airbox I had in there before. Good maintainence > performance parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Congrats on the fix. Make sure you spray some gasket-safe cleaners on those leaky places after the repair, just to track and make sure no more leaks in the future.

On the side note, perform the same spray-cleaning around the valve-cover areas and track down in the following weeks to make sure no oil is leaking outta those. In the event that you do find valve cover gasket leak and do decide to replace that, I'd recommend to also replace the Eccentric Shaft Sensor while you have the valve cover open.
Appreciate 0