E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth not working, but Xtrememac InCharge BT is??

04-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep
Drives: '06 330i TiAg

Bluetooth not working, but Xtrememac InCharge BT is??

2006 BMW 330i w/ Professional Logic 7 and BT enabled NO NAV....

Two weeks ago, my Bluetooth stopped connecting to my Iphone4s. I tried to clear devices and repair, but to no avail. The phone button on the head unit doesnt function at all. I did NOT try to reset the ECU or remove the battery cable...(wont I lose coding?)

However, I can still pair my phone to the Xtrememac BT device I bought to play spotify/tunein/pandora, and the phone function works through the cars' speakers when I use it on the Xtrememac....

So what gives? Search on here says bad TCU...$400 replacement...

Wouldn't a bad TCU make the Xtrememac not work, too?

Just curious. As long as the Xtrememac is working no need to fix, but it would be nice to have phonebook access and other scrolling features from the BMW BT unit...

Thanks in advance!

-PW
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep

Anyone? Buhler?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep

I keep searching, and keep finding no answers.... I'm trying to avoid the dreader dealer.

Would a scan tool / cable be able to tell me bluetooth isn't working?

Could a dying or low battery cause the efficient dynamics to shut off BT to preserve battery life? (heard rumor this could be the cause, not a dead TCU).

Your assistance is appreciated, I should have time this weekend to poke around more.

-PW
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

The two devices (the car's bluetooth and the XtremeMac device) are completely unrelated, with the exception that you're using them to connect to the same device. If your TCU died, it'd have no effect on the XtremeMac function.

A BMW-specific scan tool (BMWhat springs to mind, but the iPhone version is kind of useless at this juncture) may reveal some interesting insight (bus problem? power problem?), but it probably won't.

Tell me, if you have a TCU (and not a MULF, no USB in the armrest), that means you have BMW assist? Can you test whether your SOS button is working? I think even if you're not subscribed, it still should at least tell you as much, right? If not actually connect you to an operator? If SOS doesn't work at all, something's wrong with the TCU.

The first thing I'd check would be the fuse for the TCU.
      09-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
The two devices (the car's bluetooth and the XtremeMac device) are completely unrelated, with the exception that you're using them to connect to the same device. If your TCU died, it'd have no effect on the XtremeMac function.

A BMW-specific scan tool (BMWhat springs to mind, but the iPhone version is kind of useless at this juncture) may reveal some interesting insight (bus problem? power problem?), but it probably won't.

Tell me, if you have a TCU (and not a MULF, no USB in the armrest), that means you have BMW assist? Can you test whether your SOS button is working? I think even if you're not subscribed, it still should at least tell you as much, right? If not actually connect you to an operator? If SOS doesn't work at all, something's wrong with the TCU.

The first thing I'd check would be the fuse for the TCU.
Thank you for your response.

Indeed, it is an 06 with TCU/BMW Assist/Bluetooth- and the SOS is working. The fuse appeared to be in good shape, but I replaced it anyway.

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Saturday night, I disconnected the battery, reconnected, and threw a trickle charger on the car overnight. I also reinstalled iOS/reset my phone to ensure it wasn't the problem.

Sunday morning, I came out and went through the setup steps. The bluetooth and phone functions were working immediately and my iPhone started to pair up again. All is good again in the world and I have my bluetooth function back!

I'm not quite sure if it was a power problem or not (batt or fuse), or some random hiccup, or phone-related?

Either way, the battery is on its way out so it will be replaced this week. Glad I was able to catch it now and not get stranded!

-PW
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

unrelated, but nice user name! i wonder if anyone else picked up on that.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
PascalsWager
Cognitive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
unrelated, but nice user name! i wonder if anyone else picked up on that.

The side effect of earning a degree in philosophy.

To your question: poster NGEE had quite the clever post in a thread awhile back: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post15829448.

-PW
Appreciate 0