F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPK + downpipe?
GetBMWParts

04-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
rickinaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

MPPK + downpipe?

Has anyone done this? Results?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

I'm sure it will be fine...but you're gonna have to find a way to clear your check engine light.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
psher481
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 340i xDrive M Sport

I could be wrong but I think if you have to pass an emissions test you could have issues. I'm in NY and would like to add a dp but not sure if a HFC will 1) pass NY emissions and/or 2) throw a CEL that would have be cleared before the inspection (and dealer visits).
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
rickinaz
Private First Class
Rep

Actually, a fellow forum member pointed out that the post July 2013 builds have a 4" (catted) pipe as stock. That's why those N55s make an extra 15 bhp with the MPPK. No need for a bigger downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
sonicsonic
Private First Class
Russia
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive 6MT 370whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickinaz View Post
Actually, a fellow forum member pointed out that the post July 2013 builds have a 4" (catted) pipe as stock. That's why those N55s make an extra 15 bhp with the MPPK. No need for a bigger downpipe.
True!
But with catless downpipe you can earn more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You will get more power with catless downpipes no matter which tune you have.
Its just a lot easier and faster for the turbos to reach desired boost target

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

But you'll always have a CEL with catless DP right?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Really? So no benefit to an HFC down pipe on a 2014 335i??

So for a 2014, what is the consensus on the most effective way to get a little bit more performance (i.e. reduced turbo lag, increased throttle response, and maybe a little bump in power), as well as a more aggressive sound - without CELs?
(I have MPPK and MPE, so I'd prefer to work with these upgrades... )

HFC down pipe - no appreciable gain?
Charge pipe - no appreciable difference other than being less prone to failure under high boost?

Any other restrictive piping that can be upgraded from the down pipe to the axle-back MPE?

Last edited by DVC; 04-25-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post

So for a 2014, what is the consensus on the most effective way to get a little bit more performance (i.e. reduced turbo lag, increased throttle response, and maybe a little bump in power), as well as a more aggressive sound - without CELs?

Charge pipe - no appreciable difference other than being less prone to failure under high boost?

Any other restrictive piping that can be upgraded from the down pipe to the axle-back MPE?
I know Terry from BMS says plenty of power can be made with stock catback exhaust so that probably isn't the best place to look. I'm curious about a non-CEL down pipe as well, if its worth it or not. I prefer to not have CELs and not have a ton of parts I have to remove for service...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
rickinaz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You and I are in the same boat. I suspect that catless 4" would still flow more, and create more power, but not as much as replacing a 3.5" stock catted pipe.

The elephant in the room is the environmental impact of going catless, and I don't see that discussed much. I am not a tree-hugger, but I also want to do my part for the greater good. [End of soapbox speech] With the 4" catted pipe, there is something of a cake and eat it too situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
I know Terry from BMS says plenty of power can be made with stock catback exhaust so that probably isn't the best place to look. I'm curious about a non-CEL down pipe as well, if its worth it or not. I prefer to not have CELs and not have a ton of parts I have to remove for service...
Quote:
You and I are in the same boat. I suspect that catless 4" would still flow more, and create more power, but not as much as replacing a 3.5" stock catted pipe.
The elephant in the room is the environmental impact of going catless, and I don't see that discussed much. I am not a tree-hugger, but I also want to do my part for the greater good. [End of soapbox speech] With the 4" catted pipe, there is something of a cake and eat it too situation.
The environmental impact and whether it throws a CEL probably overlap for the most part... so I think we're all in the same boat there.

I've heard some conflicting info as to whether the stock piping back to the exhaust is a choke point or not... (and now it seems like the possibility of a larger down pipe on the 2014s is yet another variable in getting the real story here).

It would be great to get some definitive info on what replacement parts will actually improve performance (throttle response and turbo lag, or more power) as well as sound, without throwing CELs.
      04-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibookM3 View Post
Quote:
The environmental impact and whether it throws a CEL probably overlap for the most part... so I think we're all in the same boat there.

I've heard some conflicting info as to whether the stock piping back to the exhaust is a choke point or not... (and now it seems like the possibility of a larger down pipe on the 2014s is yet another variable in getting the real story here).

It would be great to get some definitive info on what replacement parts will actually improve performance (throttle response and turbo lag, or more power) as well as sound, without throwing CELs.
I actually feel a difference on the top end of the rpm band since going to a full catback exhaust (still stock downpipe).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
psher481
Private
Rep

Quote:
+1

I'm really considering a HFC downpipe. It seems like the most cost effective solution for increased gains without a tune (I have the new MPPK). Tough to pull the trigger on the purchase without really knowing what the gains should be, as well as whether it'll throw a CEL or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #14
rickinaz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psher481 View Post
+1

I'm really considering a HFC downpipe. It seems like the most cost effective solution for increased gains without a tune (I have the new MPPK). Tough to pull the trigger on the purchase without really knowing what the gains should be, as well as whether it'll throw a CEL or not.
If you have the new MPPK (and you mean post July 2013) you already have a 4" downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
psher481
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you have the new MPPK (and you mean post July 2013) you already have a 4" downpipe.
yeah, not sure what kind of performance gain you would see if swapping out the stock 4" downpipe for an aftermarket one. have to assume that there would be some gains involved, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #16
rickinaz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psher481 View Post
yeah, not sure what kind of performance gain you would see if swapping out the stock 4" downpipe for an aftermarket one. have to assume that there would be some gains involved, right?
I would guess that the majority of the gains that BMW left on the table were from the 3.5" restriction.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The cats in the stock DP probably add some restriction too... maybe it would be the best bang for the buck to just replace the stock cats in the 2014's 4" DP with a single, less restrictive cat.