E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Stock pads and rotors ok for one track day?

05-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

07 335i MT at Barbers track in Novice. I know it depends on the track how much duty your brakes get. I've done several track days there in my e36 328i with stock rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads and it did great, but didn't seem to use my brakes as often as I expected. There's only 2 big braking points on the track. Coming into the hairpin and at the end of the lap. The stock setup on the 335i stops much better than the 328i, but I don't want to mess up my rotors on one track day.
I will just not do the event if I have to swap out pads and rotors.
I'd be going with Ate amber or super blue fluid.
I'd like someone with first hand knowledge to reply please.
Thank you!

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
AtlantaDude
Just enjoying my time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92 335i - Sold

My first track day at Roebling Raceway, I used stock pads and rotors. I had no problems with them, but I had an issue with my brake fluid boiling over really quickly. So every time I had to come in and let it cool, which saved the pads. Personally, I'd at least throw some pads on her for the track.

If speed is death, then buy a Honda and live forever
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Great question.

How fresh are the pads? I used to run Axis Metal Masters (a street pad) on the track in my 330i with now problem. My car doesn't hit the speeds of a 335i, but the 335i also comes with 14" rotors in the front. Should be no problem.

I have not had a good experience with Super Blue. Last HPDE, I flushed the fluid 3 days before the event. When I got there for tech, they tested the fluid to see how much water was in there, and it was 2% water and I had to do a second flush. Total pain.
      05-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear From Jax
My first track day at Roebling Raceway, I used stock pads and rotors. I had no problems with them, but I had an issue with my brake fluid boiling over really quickly. So every time I had to come in and let it cool, which saved the pads. Personally, I'd at least throw some pads on her for the track.
Thanks for the reply. This is probably a one time thing for me so I'm not wanting to spend $200 for pads for one day. I'm wanting to do moto track days instead but some friends are going to this bmwcca event so I'm thinking of joining them.
Also, I'm running PSS so I'm guessing they'd be fine also, right?
It sounds like swapping fluid should be all I need to do.
Did you experience any fade ?
Take it no warped rotors.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
Bamaben
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace
Great question.

How fresh are the pads? I used to run Axis Metal Masters (a street pad) on the track in my 330i with now problem. My car doesn't hit the speeds of a 335i, but the 335i also comes with 14" rotors in the front. Should be no problem.

I have not had a good experience with Super Blue. Last HPDE, I flushed the fluid 3 days before the event. When I got there for tech, they tested the fluid to see how much water was in there, and it was 2% water and I had to do a second flush. Total pain.
Thanks! Good to hear I'd be ok as I was thinking.
I just need to decide if I am comfortable with taking my pristine car on the track or not.
I didn't worry about my e36 at all.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace
Great question.

I just need to decide if I am comfortable with taking my pristine car on the track or not.
some folks put blue masking tape on headlights. other than that car should be fine. regular roads with potholes, rocks and crap all over cause more damage to the body. always remember it's not a race and bring her back home in one piece. if there is an ego maniac stay away.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
You need to get a few battle scars on it so you don't have to worry about it then

My car is in real good shape, especially for the miles (143,000) but the front bumper definitely looks sandblasted.
      05-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #8
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
07 335i MT at Barbers track in Novice. I know it depends on the track how much duty your brakes get. I've done several track days there in my e36 328i with stock rotors and Hawk HP Plus pads and it did great, but didn't seem to use my brakes as often as I expected. There's only 2 big braking points on the track. Coming into the hairpin and at the end of the lap. The stock setup on the 335i stops much better than the 328i, but I don't want to mess up my rotors on one track day.
Thank you!
OEM pads and rotors, with 10K on them, held up okay at my first track day with the 335i. I was more concerned with oil temps than brake issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
You need to get a few battle scars on it so you don't have to worry about it then

My car is in real good shape, especially for the miles (143,000) but the front bumper definitely looks sandblasted.
According to Magnus Walker, your car has patina.
      05-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer View Post
According to Magnus Walker, your car has patina.
I didn't get the reference, so I looked up Magnus Walker. Holy shit! 911s are too cool for school.

I saw a really nice early 90's 911 RS America (or more likely an RS look alike), I love those cars. I haven't got a clue how they are to drive, but it's one of those cars I would buy sight unseen if the price was right.

I'm doing an hpde next week with the local PCA, so I'm sure I will see some unique Porsches.
      05-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you!
I don't think you'll have to sweat it for a track weekend. I have 4 days on my stock setup with only a rear sensor tripping prematurely on the 4th day. The track on the first day had two heavy braking points after two long straights and the pads were still fine. I'm definitely not going as fast as a 335i, but I don't think you'll have to worry much with fresh brake fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I didn't get the reference, so I looked up Magnus Walker. Holy shit! 911s are too cool for school.

I saw a really nice early 90's 911 RS America (or more likely an RS look alike), I love those cars. I haven't got a clue how they are to drive, but it's one of those cars I would buy sight unseen if the price was right.

I'm doing an hpde next week with the local PCA, so I'm sure I will see some unique Porsches.
Same reaction when I first heard about Magnus. Dreadlocks and worn out clothing makes him look like a homeless guy, so imagine him showing up to PCA events. Cool guy nonetheless.

Last edited by neoduffer; 06-05-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Bamaben
Major
Rep

well, i pissed around and missed the registration cutoff so I didn't run in the event. i did change my brake fluid to Ate Type 200 amber anyway.
I did go both days to the event to ride with some instructors and also got to ride with Mike Renner in the Sakhir orange M4 which i posted a video in the video section under "Rode in M4 @ Barbers".. but here it is:

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

i did an HPDE with stock rotors and akebono euro pads, fresh superblue brake fluid, conti extremecontact DW tires and was fine. you'll be fine with stock pads + rotors.
      06-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

I am one to disagree. You can 'limp' around on stock pads(stock rotors are almost always fine) but once you start increasing speed which most students do 2nd half of day 1 and day 2 you are going to almost certainly be spending time watching and not driving.

Also proper brake setup helps learn proper brake usage. Not having to protect your brakes also is a confidence/mental thing. I know on PFC08 when I go into 10A at Road Atlanta at full speed the car will stop. Everytime.
Appreciate 0