E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > What's happening in SoCal 6/12-6/18?

05-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
What's happening in SoCal 6/12-6/18?

My wife and I will be traveling to Southern California to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Staying with my uncle's brother in Laguna Niguel, but will be driving up and down the coast. Plan on spending a day or two in San Diego and then who knows.

Wondering what's going on during that timeframe. Any meets/shows that are worth me checking out? Again, anywhere from LA to San Diego would work, as we'll be all over.

Also, feel free to share any recommendations on places we need to check out, namely bars/restaurants/breweries. Thanks in advance!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

there's always taking me out to dinner, I'm right by laguna
haha jk in all seriousness check out the beach, yelp some nice restaurants, san diego is amazing

edit

I just realized how useless my post was, i'll try to come back later with some specifics lol
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
there's always taking me out to dinner, I'm right by laguna
haha jk in all seriousness check out the beach, yelp some nice restaurants, san diego is amazing

edit

I just realized how useless my post was, i'll try to come back later with some specifics lol
LMAO

I've been to LA a few times and been to San Diego/OC once, so I have a few ideas. I've been YELPing and what not, but wanted to check in with the E90 community for some other ideas. Thanks buddy!

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
RallyeRalle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Balboa Island just off the Newport Beach coast is very pretty. Park your car somewhere on the island, walk the island promenade and odore the historic wooden beach cottages from the 20's, browse small shops on Marine Avenue (make sure you grab an Original Frozen Banana on the way) and take the little Ferry (1$ / person) to the Balboa Peninsula, from where you have access to the Beach.

Another gem in SoCal is Crystal Cove State Park. Park your car on the parking lot just off Coast Highway 1 and walk down to the beach. Again, historic but beatifully renovated Beach cottages (which you can rent!) and a great restaurant where I like taking my guests when we have visitors: http://www.thebeachcombercafe.com
Great cocktails, great food, as close to true California beach feeling as it can get. We saw a couple of grey whales and dolphinen very close to the shore when we were there last time for dinner.

For a small bite for in-between, ceck out Irvine-based burger chain "In-N-Out". Everything is fresh, they have only three items on the menu, but their burgers taste amazing.

If you are up for some canyon cruising, have a look at the Angels Crest Highway, just North of L.A. Beautiful nature, an few campsites if you're up for that and a nice biker cafe/beergarden about half way through the national park (www.newcombsranch.com).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
GSEN820
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3 DCT

Meets I dont really know of any.....Something that is always fun is Cars and Coffee...I would say hit up Irvine (always good to see what shows up)....

San Diego Carlsbad has Cars and Coffee too (not as good as Irvine) the outlets are there so grab breakfast then shop a little...Beaches are nice in that area too.....

Ocean Beach in San Diego is always a site kinda of fun....pretty good places to eat sit and see the laid back side of SD.....
      05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Peohe's restaurant in Coronado Island (great dinner spot for your anniversary)
Phil's BBQ (lunch)
Catch a Padres game downtown on 6/18 (Petco park is a beautiful stadium). For pre-game you could try the Tilted Kilt next to the stadium but the girls are dressed sexy so not sure if your wife would mind. It's a fun atmosphere plus it's connected to the stadium so you walk out the front door and enter the stadium gates.

I'll edit my post as I think of more places to visit
      05-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

^ I echo his recommendation for phil's bbq in san diego, line is long but moves pretty fast

-catalina island (if you have time)
-Coronado island (there's a nice restaurant there that overlooks the ocean, I forgot the name)
-Newport beach not many things to do tbh, but some nice places to eat, mama d's if you want some Italian food, they are very popular
-downtown san diego, gas lamp district
-Mexican food in san diego (nacho libre in downtown and rigobertos in mira mesa, pollo asada fries are to die for)
-lots of museums in la if you're into that kind of stuff, lacma, the getty, getty villa
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyeRalle View Post
Balboa Island just off the Newport Beach coast is very pretty. Park your car somewhere on the island, walk the island promenade and odore the historic wooden beach cottages from the 20's, browse small shops on Marine Avenue (make sure you grab an Original Frozen Banana on the way) and take the little Ferry (1$ / person) to the Balboa Peninsula, from where you have access to the Beach.

Another gem in SoCal is Crystal Cove State Park. Park your car on the parking lot just off Coast Highway 1 and walk down to the beach. Again, historic but beatifully renovated Beach cottages (which you can rent!) and a great restaurant where I like taking my guests when we have visitors: http://www.thebeachcombercafe.com
Great cocktails, great food, as close to true California beach feeling as it can get. We saw a couple of grey whales and dolphinen very close to the shore when we were there last time for dinner.

For a small bite for in-between, ceck out Irvine-based burger chain "In-N-Out". Everything is fresh, they have only three items on the menu, but their burgers taste amazing.

If you are up for some canyon cruising, have a look at the Angels Crest Highway, just North of L.A. Beautiful nature, an few campsites if you're up for that and a nice biker cafe/beergarden about half way through the national park (www.newcombsranch.com).
Great stuff here, thank you! These frozen bananas wouldn't happen to be Bluth's Frozen Bananas, would they?

As for In-N-Out burger, I've been to the one in Vegas, and I've already told my wife we are definitely grabbing a meal there. So damn good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSEN820 View Post
Meets I dont really know of any.....Something that is always fun is Cars and Coffee...I would say hit up Irvine (always good to see what shows up)....

San Diego Carlsbad has Cars and Coffee too (not as good as Irvine) the outlets are there so grab breakfast then shop a little...Beaches are nice in that area too.....

Ocean Beach in San Diego is always a site kinda of fun....pretty good places to eat sit and see the laid back side of SD.....
I've heard good things about the Cars and Coffee in Irvine. Might be something I'll try and check out, assuming I can talk my better half into it, of course. But maybe the Carlsbad CaC will be easier, with the shopping and beaches nearby. Good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Peohe's restaurant in Coronado Island (great dinner spot for your anniversary)
Phil's BBQ (lunch)
Catch a Padres game downtown on 6/18 (Petco park is a beautiful stadium). For pre-game you could try the Tilted Kilt next to the stadium but the girls are dressed sexy so not sure if your wife would mind. It's a fun atmosphere plus it's connected to the stadium so you walk out the front door and enter the stadium gates.

I'll edit my post as I think of more places to visit
I'll be Yelping Peohe's, for sure! We leave early on 6/18, so unfortunately, no Padres game for us. Sucks, because I stayed in a hotel literally 10 seconds from PetCo the last time I was out there and have been dying to catch a game there. Of course they're on the road for the majority of my trip. Might try for a Dodgers or Angels game, assuming one of them is home during that time. Tilted Kilt sounds good. She won't care about the attire as long as the beer list doesn't suck. She's good like that!

And yes, definitely throw out more suggestions. It's much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
^ I echo his recommendation for phil's bbq in san diego, line is long but moves pretty fast

-catalina island (if you have time)
-Coronado island (there's a nice restaurant there that overlooks the ocean, I forgot the name)
-Newport beach not many things to do tbh, but some nice places to eat, mama d's if you want some Italian food, they are very popular
-downtown san diego, gas lamp district
-Mexican food in san diego (nacho libre in downtown and rigobertos in mira mesa, pollo asada fries are to die for)
-lots of museums in la if you're into that kind of stuff, lacma, the getty, getty villa
I'm not a huge BBQ fan, but my wife is...and I don't mind ribs, so I'll add it to the list. Catalina is on our to-do list, pending the free time. I've heard many good things about Mama D's, too.

Gas Lamp District is a blast and I plan on spending a night or two down there.

Thanks dude!

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Anyone going to Cars & Coffee in Irvine Saturday?? We'll be there!

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Dmon335
Rep
Drives: 335i | JB4 G5 | BMS DCI

Stone brewery has awesome beer and food and it's in San Marcos... 15 min from Carlsbad. It's more high end gourmet type food and really nice atmosphere if your looking for that. Pizza port in Carlsbad is hands down the best pizza in north county I think! Tower 13 and las olas are two good restaurants on the beach in Cardiff.,. My fav restaurant on the beach is Poseidon's in Del Mar... Literally on the sand and great food! If you cruise through La Jolla then I rec hitting Mt. Soledad and checking the costal view there.. It's awesome plus you get to cruise scenic drive and see how the 1% live. OB noodle house has the best pho in SD and usually has a hour wait but is well worth it.. That's in ocean beach and as mentioned above always a interesting and good time due to the eclectic group of peeps that live in Ob.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
BOOSTHOT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SG E90 335i

+1 for crystal cove, you'll really enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebamf335i View Post
Anyone going to Cars & Coffee in Irvine Saturday?? We'll be there!
Maybe I'll come out and bring a few buddies. What time you showing up?
      06-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Maybe I'll come out and bring a few buddies. What time you showing up?
Probably early, that way we still have the rest of the day to explore and do whatever. Since it's 7-9am, I'd guess closer to 7:30. I'll be the guy looking like a tourist with camera in hand and wife trailing behind. My poor 335i will be tucked safely back in Massachusetts, so I'll be arriving via rental car.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebamf335i View Post
Probably early, that way we still have the rest of the day to explore and do whatever. Since it's 7-9am, I'd guess closer to 7:30. I'll be the guy looking like a tourist with camera in hand and wife trailing behind. My poor 335i will be tucked safely back in Massachusetts, so I'll be arriving via rental car.
Haha I'm sure you'll be easy to find!
      06-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here are the photos I took from the Cars and Coffee show:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...3#post16174193

Appreciate 0