E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bought a 335i didn't know it had a downpipe on it

06-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
Dignitas
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bought a 335i didn't know it had a downpipe on it

Hi guys so basically last month I bought a 335i coupe, when I test drove it I noticed a light exhaust sound I thought at the time maybe thats how it comes when they have sport package. Problem soon came next day with a code p0420 and po430. I had the dealer take care of it but the light came back on but I now had 5 check engine light instead of the original two. I didn't feel comfortable taking the car back to the dealership so I took it to my indy and he looked the whole car over said everything is OK but noticed the exhaust is bmw but the resonators were removed to give it some sound. The downpipe he said had a different color of metal so he is pretty sure it's after market. My problem is I have to do emissions by the end of the month and I've looked on this forum (which I learned a lot about thanks guys) for info and discovered the downpipe fix. I than searched for the past two weeks and called numerous places and they are all gone thanks to California and their laws. I'm really at my wits end here. I don't want to go back to the dealership and have them screw up the car again because obviously they know nothing about these cars. I'm really. Not sure what to do or where to go or what to buy to get this resolved. First bmw and I never thought this would be be where the trouble begins please help with any advice or ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
westchester335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sour Diesel and Haze

Pretty sure its illegal to sell a car without cats. I would go back to the dealer and have them fix the situation and threaten them with a lawyer if they don't do anything.

I would have loved to buy a 335 with DPs already in there. What state are you in? Are you in NY if you are you are welcome to use my DP fix for emissions testing.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
firemanjust1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3/03 350z

what state are you op ??
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Zach1328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i / 2007 335i

Call up some local shops that do inspections and see if they will pass it regardless of the emissions.
I've got illegal window tint (SHHH!), so I just made sure there were some local shops that would pass the car before I actually had it done. Never had any issues with the tint.
My brother has Catless mid-pipes on his RX-8 and has had no issues finding local shops that will pass his car anyways.
Mods: JB4 + MHD BEF, RB Twos Plus, Phoenix PI Manifold, Dual Walbro 450 LPFP's, DCI, VRSF DP's, VRSF 7.5" FMIC, VRSF CP + TiAL BOV, VRSF inlets & aluminum outlets, TC Kline SA, M3 F/R control arms, M3 subframe bushings
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
Dignitas
Rep

I'm in NJ they only plug in the obd2 port than you're free for two years. Yes the law is they have to sell a car that can pass emissions I just don't feel comfortable taking my car to them and letting their mechanic touch my car because like I said before I went in with two codes and came out with 5 because he was messing around. I took it to my shop and put a few hundred miles on it just have regular P0420 and po430 codes. I really don't want their guys touching my car again. Any tricks anyone can recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Dignitas
Rep

Great! I'll buy soon as it's available
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Or buy a tune, like JB4 or Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We'll have a fix out in a week and a half or so if you need one.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
I'm not sure if I'm a special case but I went to inspection a coupe weeks ago, DPs and tune in (Stage 2+ lol) and passed just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by klvrdr View Post
Hi guys so basically last month I bought a 335i coupe, when I test drove it I noticed a light exhaust sound I thought at the time maybe thats how it comes when they have sport package. Problem soon came next day with a code p0420 and po430. I had the dealer take care of it but the light came back on but I now had 5 check engine light instead of the original two. I didn't feel comfortable taking the car back to the dealership so I took it to my indy and he looked the whole car over said everything is OK but noticed the exhaust is bmw but the resonators were removed to give it some sound. The downpipe he said had a different color of metal so he is pretty sure it's after market. My problem is I have to do emissions by the end of the month and I've looked on this forum (which I learned a lot about thanks guys) for info and discovered the downpipe fix. I than searched for the past two weeks and called numerous places and they are all gone thanks to California and their laws. I'm really at my wits end here. I don't want to go back to the dealership and have them screw up the car again because obviously they know nothing about these cars. I'm really. Not sure what to do or where to go or what to buy to get this resolved. First bmw and I never thought this would be be where the trouble begins please help with any advice or ideas.
Take it back to the dealer.
Selling a car with modified emissions is a no go in all 50 states.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

That will only help clear the code while the tune is enabled. It has to be disabled via map 0 in order for a scanner to communicate with the DME at which point the cats will not show as ready and the check engine light will come back on after a few miles of driving. The only way to clear the code is a DP Fix or re-install stock downpipes (which is a major PITA) just for the inspection. DP fix install is super easy (30 mins from hood open to close for me), especially if you have a JB4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post
Or buy a tune, like JB4 or Cobb.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Dignitas
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys Yea I definitely want to go jb4 but it will clear the code but not ready the monitors. I'm going back to the dealer tomorrow if anything I'm at least hoping to cancel this extended warranty I purchased for $2500 only to find out they have a bad reputation and just blame wear and tear on whatever is damaged, which they don't cover. And since car has been modified warranty should be void.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

Im assuming you are N55 since you said "a downpipe" and not "downpipes" ?????
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
Dignitas
Rep

No n54 it's a 2008. Thanks for pointing that out
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #15
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

If you post it in the N54 section you might get some more action if you still have gotten it all figured out
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #16
shushikiary
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I've dealt with this kind of crap a few times. If you can prove that they sold you the car with no CAT's that is illegal and they could have their dealership license revoked.

They will listen to you very intently if you get a hold of the authority that is in charge of that license. The same rule applies for window tint. I got a ticket for an illegal tint 2 years after they sold me the car and I made them give it to me in writing that it was not an illegal tint because I was pretty sure it was when I bought it but they promised me it wasnt. They wouldnt fix it when I asked, so I politely called around.

Here in colorado the colorado department of revenue motor vehicular department (NOTE NOT THE DMV) is in charge of dealership licenses. I called back with the phone number of the lady I talked to there and the exact line of legal statute that said it was illegal and they fixed it for me the next day. The lady asked if I wanted to have an investigation started, which could end in revocation of their dealership license, but I told her to hold off until after I talked to them. Given that California is VERY serious about their air pollution controls I'm pretty sure you'd get that departments attention if you called them (assuming you really are missing CAT's), and the dealership would NOT want those guys poking around, even if they had all their ducks in a row.

So you do have options if you choose to use them.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I believe NJ is like PA in regard to inspection. In PA a dealer can not sell a car without a current inspection sticker on it. meaning it has to be good for at least 9 months. Reason being it keeps dealer from doing the as is and then the new owner going to get the inspection done only to find out it does not pass.

As people pointed out you have a number ways to remedy the situation legally to you benefit. I personally would required them to get the car passed inspection, then deal with how to fix the fact the car will continue to through code as long as you have after market down pipe installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #18
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
bump to remove spam from top
      06-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #19
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

How many 335s did you testdrive bro?

I mean, didn't you hear the pronounced increase in volume from the exhaust area, or smell the eggy fart odor?

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

OP - What state are you in?
That might help quite a bit in telling you where to go to get this resolved if the dealer is an ass hat.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
'

Its illegal to sell a car without cats.
That being said you got free DP, just add a jb4 and you are good to go

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #22
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

How is it illegal when some states don't even require an emissions like Michigan?

IL they hook up a scanner and no visual inspection. I've passed emissions numerous times with no cats at all. I guess it might vary state to state. I don't see a big deal having no cats I would be happy to be honest. I took mine out of my e90 like 7 years ago.
Appreciate 0