BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) vibration in steering wheel at 80-100kmh ix1

07-15-2023, 09:58 PM   #1
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

vibration in steering wheel at 80-100kmh ix1

Hi All,

Just picking the hive mind to see if anyone else is experiencing any issues, or if I am completely crazy. I have an iX1 with the 20" wheels on Continental Ecocontact 6Q

When I picked the car up my sales consultant and I went on a test drive, and we both noticed a very slight vibration at speed. I went on holidays and haven't got around to trying to get it sorted until last week.

The first time I brought it in the master tech said it was normal - but they didn't drive it above 60. Went for a ride together and it became relatively appararent. He didn't do anything at that stage because he wanted to test drive another one...

I didn't realise the sales consultant had also setup a service appt at the sister dealership and got me seen the next day thankfully, the tech there didn't notice much but they did a roadforce balance of the tyres. One of the wheels was out by 15g so not very much. I took it home and it's still doing it.

It feels like a side to side wobble of the steering wheel / almost like a harmonic vibration of a driveshaft ( i know it doesn't have one). You can even feel it in your seat. It almost feels like the lane keep assist vibration, but a way toned down intensity of that just for reference.

It's very high frequency and is at its worst when the roads are the smoothest (new roads / highways). I don't know if it's the tyre or wheel or what but given it's been balanced already. It's very irritating and I don't know if it's just because I'm expecting the steering feel to be much more subdued or what.

Any one else have any issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 10:59 PM   #2
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
Hi All,

Just picking the hive mind to see if anyone else is experiencing any issues, or if I am completely crazy. I have an iX1 with the 20" wheels on Continental Ecocontact 6Q

When I picked the car up my sales consultant and I went on a test drive, and we both noticed a very slight vibration at speed. I went on holidays and haven't got around to trying to get it sorted until last week.

The first time I brought it in the master tech said it was normal - but they didn't drive it above 60. Went for a ride together and it became relatively appararent. He didn't do anything at that stage because he wanted to test drive another one...

I didn't realise the sales consultant had also setup a service appt at the sister dealership and got me seen the next day thankfully, the tech there didn't notice much but they did a roadforce balance of the tyres. One of the wheels was out by 15g so not very much. I took it home and it's still doing it.

It feels like a side to side wobble of the steering wheel / almost like a harmonic vibration of a driveshaft ( i know it doesn't have one). You can even feel it in your seat. It almost feels like the lane keep assist vibration, but a way toned down intensity of that just for reference.

It's very high frequency and is at its worst when the roads are the smoothest (new roads / highways). I don't know if it's the tyre or wheel or what but given it's been balanced already. It's very irritating and I don't know if it's just because I'm expecting the steering feel to be much more subdued or what.

Any one else have any issues?
Whilst reading this the first thing I thought of was the vibration for lane keep assist but then you mentioned that it’s not that.

I can’t say I’ve ever experienced this problem. Did the roadforce balance adjustment do anything to improve the vibration? It sounds like they accidentally stumbled on another issue by accident.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 02:21 AM   #3
Tsapetro
Rep
Drives: Bmw x1 23i

Check the tires for asymmetries because on continental tyres i have already heard that
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 02:44 AM   #4
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
I can’t say I’ve ever experienced this problem. Did the roadforce balance adjustment do anything to improve the vibration? It sounds like they accidentally stumbled on another issue by accident.
In my perception it didn't do a thing. It's maddening because I feel like like im nuts but it just doesn't feel right. Or if it is right I don't want the car because it feels incredibly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsapetro View Post
Check the tires for asymmetries because on continental tyres i have already heard that
I'll have a look in the morning, you hope they would have caught that, but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 04:45 AM   #5
Bam-Bam
Private
Rep
Drives: Ix1 xdrive30

Next time I drive the car I will check. Up till now 10K km, I didn’t notice.( will not say it isn’t doing it) -
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 11:22 AM   #6
Bam-Bam
Private
Rep
Drives: Ix1 xdrive30

Today after 500 kilometers no vibration felt in the steering wheel.
Checked at different speeds below and above 100 KM/H. With and without driving assistant connected. ( iX1 18” wheels)

Regards,
Marcel
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:45 PM   #7
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep

Thanks Marcel,

Not sure what is causing this. The dealer is sourcing another iX1 with 20" wheels so we can compare -- problem is they are so hard to find here.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 09:48 PM   #8
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
Thanks Marcel,

Not sure what is causing this. The dealer is sourcing another iX1 with 20" wheels so we can compare — problem is they are so hard to find here.
My ix1’s wheel alignment was slightly off and had to be adjusted after delivery. Did they check that too for you or just the wheel balancing?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 06:36 AM   #9
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
My ix1’s wheel alignment was slightly off and had to be adjusted after delivery. Did they check that too for you or just the wheel balancing?
No they just balanced the wheels, but that's a good point. I'll ask.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 01:20 PM   #10
Merkor
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1

Any news here?

I also encounter steering wheel vibration with my iX1, especially when driving around 80 km/h. I thought this was due to unbalanced winter tires, but it remains the same with summer tires. It seems like the heat pump is causing these vibrations, because it is partly mounted to the steering rack. This is mentioned here: https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2076238

Did anyone talk to the dealer or come up with a solution (new heat pump or dampers)?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 02:21 PM   #11
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkor View Post
Any news here?

I also encounter steering wheel vibration with my iX1, especially when driving around 80 km/h. I thought this was due to unbalanced winter tires, but it remains the same with summer tires. It seems like the heat pump is causing these vibrations, because it is partly mounted to the steering rack. This is mentioned here: https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2076238

Did anyone talk to the dealer or come up with a solution (new heat pump or dampers)?
I was the guy who noticed the vibrations from the heat pump - they say they can't do anything about it because it is attached to the steering column. However I can only feel it when stationary, not whilst the car is moving. I have the 20" wheels on my iX1 and I have no vibrations of the wheel when travelling at any speed. I have the Continental 6Q tyres if that makes any difference.