BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Reviews of 25e/30e hybrid engine?

11-20-2023, 05:48 AM   #23
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fili92 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm considering ordering the 30e. A question: with the parking package with 360° cameras, is there also a dash cam?
I also evaluated the GLA250e and as an option there was the dash cam item (around €250).
Here on the X1 I saw that there is an interior cam, but I haven't seen anything about a dash cam.
As stated, the car has the equipment for Drive Recorder if you order the 360º cameras, but it not yet enabled in iDrive 9. BMW has stated that it would be available via a software update late in 2023, but no word since.

Honestly though, the Drive Recorder is not very useful in some situations. The location of the camera in the front grill means the perspective is much lower than a normal window mounted dash cam, meaning you can't see much past the car in front of you (like the cause of an accident). It also doesn't record constantly throughout your drive unless plugged in to a USB-C flash drive, and it will only do so if you have the app in the foreground while driving (meaning you can't continuously record and mess with any other apps, including radio, CarPlay, etc.). Some of us (myself included) have fitted a 3rd party dash cam that will record in a continuous loop like normal. FitCamX makes one that blends seamlessly with the mirror housing.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 05:48 AM   #24
fili92
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunners View Post
There is no dash cam fitted as standard but earlier models have drive recorder which takes short videos in case of accident and can be used to manually record short clips upto 40 seconds.
I have read on here that the drive recorder seems to be missing in idrive9 at the moment.
Ok, thank you.
Maybe they'll add in a software update.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 07:07 AM   #25
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Ok, thank you.
Maybe they'll add in a software update.
I'd work on buying a BMW dash cam or third party. There have been instances with the drive recorder even when fitted hasn't triggered as the bump hasn't been hard enough. So it's there but as it doesnt' constantly record is more a gimmick unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 07:15 AM   #26
fili92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
As stated, the car has the equipment for Drive Recorder if you order the 360º cameras, but it not yet enabled in iDrive 9. BMW has stated that it would be available via a software update late in 2023, but no word since.

Honestly though, the Drive Recorder is not very useful in some situations. The location of the camera in the front grill means the perspective is much lower than a normal window mounted dash cam, meaning you can't see much past the car in front of you (like the cause of an accident). It also doesn't record constantly throughout your drive unless plugged in to a USB-C flash drive, and it will only do so if you have the app in the foreground while driving (meaning you can't continuously record and mess with any other apps, including radio, CarPlay, etc.). Some of us (myself included) have fitted a 3rd party dash cam that will record in a continuous loop like normal. FitCamX makes one that blends seamlessly with the mirror housing.
Thanks for your answer. In the next few days I will go to the dealership to get some estimates, but at this point I think the best option is to evaluate a third-party dashcam (unless something improved is enabled via update)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:55 AM   #27
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post

I do agree that due to the wide angle and locations is not perfect for some situations - but i got side hit and it was recorded.
I believe its recording non stop and in case there is an emergency cuts the record ( i dont see any other way ) because when i got hit it had almost 1+ min ot recording ...i havent started it manually.

Anyway 3rd party dash cam is on a higher level completely supporting your opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 06:19 PM   #28
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqbriel View Post
I do agree that due to the wide angle and locations is not perfect for some situations - but i got side hit and it was recorded.
I believe its recording non stop and in case there is an emergency cuts the record ( i dont see any other way ) because when i got hit it had almost 1+ min ot recording ...i havent started it manually.

Anyway 3rd party dash cam is on a higher level completely supporting your opinion
It’s “recording” but holds it in a buffer, and when the impact sensor is triggered it will save the clip to storage with a predetermined time you set of up to 30 seconds before and after the impact. I’m glad it worked for you, but the fear is that in some other BMWs the impact didn’t always trigger the sensor and record. Given that, I’d rather spend a couple hundred and have a dash cam that records anytime the ignition is on. I’ve had my fair share of insurance battles when the other person lied before dash cams were commonplace and it was a headache. I’ve also had instances where my dash cam recorded an accident or crime in front of me and I’ve given the footage to the police.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
gqbriel316.00
      11-24-2023, 03:23 AM   #29
Nel.Ezequiel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 30e

I have X1 30e and it's the perfect car for me as a father that leaves kids at school and does 60Km of highway to office. So i have my battery full when i leave i go full electric leave the kids to school, get into the highway, when i need to go over 140Km, i will fix the 7gear to optimize and request the use of the electric motor when i need power over 130Km, less will switch to electric. I can charge the battery in the office, so in my everyday commute i drive 120Km, use around 4 litres of gasoline and 25kwh of battery.
If i need to speed up from 130Km into 200Km even in big uphill, this machine does it incredibly fast. Love the performance and the efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 04:43 AM   #30
fili92
Private
Rep

I am very happy with your words.
I'll go get an estimate tomorrow.
Unfortunately I can no longer use my M2competition as a daily drive. I travel about 90km a day, with the M2c I spend around €700 on petrol per month (plus €3500 in taxes per year, Italy is fantastic...).
With the X1 30e I could always go 95% electric for home-work-home journeys and I could also charge at work.
I would reduce petrol costs (obviously I would spend more on electricity, but it still costs less than petrol) and taxes (around €150 per year).
I've done more than 90,000km with the m2c, a truly fantastic car.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 07:16 AM   #31
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

How do you get 3500 euro of taxes a year on your car?! Wow, that is tough
Appreciate 1
fili9234.50
      11-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #32
JayZe
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I found this very detailed comparison between both versions on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/s424WzP1ijI?si=jZYUelnm0ZVCmZJI

Is in Spanish but you can have subtitles in English.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2023, 02:05 AM   #33
nicozzz
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Unfortunately I can no longer use my M2competition as a daily drive. I travel about 90km a day, with the M2c I spend around €700 on petrol per month (plus €3500 in taxes per year, Italy is fantastic...).
With the X1 30e I could always go 95% electric for home-work-home journeys and I could also charge at work.
I would reduce petrol costs...
You will definitely reduce petrol costs, and gain comfort. Be sure to test drive it well, for me the MSport alcantara seats are not comfortable (in particular the fixed headrests), while they are comfortable for my wife.

Be aware that 90km range in full electric is not the reality, in particular if most of your trips are on the highway or at high speeds.
With our 25e, we always charge it at max 90% of the battery range, to make it last longer. We can get 70-80 km range in summer at low speeds (50-70 km/h), but this drops drastically in winter. Currently, the range is 50-60 km.

In the highway, we normally use the petrol engine, and save the battery for the city.
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2023, 04:48 AM   #34
fili92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
How do you get 3500 euro of taxes a year on your car?! Wow, that is tough
In Italy there has always been a tax on car ownership which varies based on power/displacement/emissions. Then in 2013 an additional tax was placed on cars with power over 185 kW. You pay €20 for each KW that exceeds that threshold.
So 411 HP = 302 KW, 302-185= 117Kw which exceeds the limit, 117 x €20 = approximately €2300. To which must be added the approximately €1200 of ownership tax that everyone pays.
All this because in our country politicians waste public money and do not intend to reduce their privileges and waste. And so we citizens are forced to put up with these stupid taxes.
And I am therefore happy to move to 30e and not give away any more money to the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicozzz View Post
You will definitely reduce petrol costs, and gain comfort. Be sure to test drive it well, for me the MSport alcantara seats are not comfortable (in particular the fixed headrests), while they are comfortable for my wife.

Be aware that 90km range in full electric is not the reality, in particular if most of your trips are on the highway or at high speeds.
With our 25e, we always charge it at max 90% of the battery range, to make it last longer. We can get 70-80 km range in summer at low speeds (50-70 km/h), but this drops drastically in winter. Currently, the range is 50-60 km.

In the highway, we normally use the petrol engine, and save the battery for the city.
For the seats I take the sports ones, but not the ones with the integrated headrest.
I am aware of how my mother's Evoque P300e works, same 3-cylinder 1.5 system with electric motor. The navigator of your car is predictive, if you set a route it calculates when it is best to use the internal combustion engine and when to go on battery power (for example on stretches of motorway it prefers the combustion engine and keeps the battery for "slower" roads).
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2023, 03:06 AM   #35
fili92
Private
Rep

I was doing the math well and I noticed something: after 4 years from purchasing the X1 I would have (considering the 4 years of leasing and the final redemption) spent as much as keeping my M2c for 4 years.
So now the choice becomes a bit more complicated, given that there is no real saving.
The only difference is that after 4 in one case I would have an X1 with around 70k km and still in production, in the other case I would have an M2c with 170k km and 9 years on its shoulders (assuming there are no mechanical problems). So there would be some difference on the value of the car.
Obviously on the one hand I lean towards the M2c, given that there are practically none around here and given its fantastic engine and driving dynamics. On the other hand, the X1 is a more comfortable machine (definitely more comfortable) which still has excellent performance.
I'm very conflicted, before I hadn't done the calculations well and it seemed to me that it was better to get the X1, while now the two things are almost equivalent (except for the value of the car in 4 years).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 04:08 PM   #36
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

A tough one, do you fancy a change or what to enjoy those special drives you get with an M2 which will be hard to replicate with an X1?

Quite different cars to drive around in that is for certain.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 02:33 AM   #37
gqbriel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e

Garage List
Quote:
I was doing the math well and I noticed something: after 4 years from purchasing the X1 I would have (considering the 4 years of leasing and the final redemption) spent as much as keeping my M2c for 4 years.
So now the choice becomes a bit more complicated, given that there is no real saving.
The only difference is that after 4 in one case I would have an X1 with around 70k km and still in production, in the other case I would have an M2c with 170k km and 9 years on its shoulders (assuming there are no mechanical problems). So there would be some difference on the value of the car.
Obviously on the one hand I lean towards the M2c, given that there are practically none around here and given its fantastic engine and driving dynamics. On the other hand, the X1 is a more comfortable machine (definitely more comfortable) which still has excellent performance.
I'm very conflicted, before I hadn't done the calculations well and it seemed to me that it was better to get the X1, while now the two things are almost equivalent (except for the value of the car in 4 years).
Dude you compare cows and chickens...sorry but how on earth you compare one of the best M cars recently with the entry level BMW which if not hybrid is more FWD?!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 12:40 PM   #38
palimad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 530d xdrive

I've heard about some chain issues with PHEV X1 (around 80000 kms) from BMW technician and he was discouraging me from buying it, telling me mild-hybrid is better option. Basically he said that BMW PHEV design is not optimal, as electronics can wake up cold engine any time and rev it up to high revs. Any engine issues you've encountered?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 05:52 AM   #39
fili92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by palimad View Post
I've heard about some chain issues with PHEV X1 (around 80000 kms) from BMW technician and he was discouraging me from buying it, telling me mild-hybrid is better option. Basically he said that BMW PHEV design is not optimal, as electronics can wake up cold engine any time and rev it up to high revs. Any engine issues you've encountered?
Hi, I can tell you that as an experience I have my mother's Evoque P300e.
The car is almost 4 years old and has done 42,000 km. Always used in hybrid mode (you decide when to go with ICE or electric only) and so far there haven't been any problems.
The structure is almost the same: 1.5 3cyl and electric motor (309hp total).
Waiting for my 30e (maybe April...).
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 03:30 PM   #40
palimad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 530d xdrive

He was not sure whether it was X1, he just remembered it was 3 cylinder PHEV from BMW (as he works for BMW dealership)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 03:49 PM   #41
jmavrikis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 XDRIVEe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
We have a 25e on order as well and have seen VERY little reviews on it unfortunately. The video below is the best I've found but no actual review. I believe the tech is the same as the 2 Series Active Tourer so reviews on feel / power etc. are similar for that. Hoping a few people will do a few reviews over the coming months.

Also would it be very helpful if there are any suggestions on what is the best option in Mymode for economical and safe out of town driving on highway and country roads with X1 xdrive25e?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 04:02 AM   #42
cOBRaX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 3 320e (2023) + X1 20i (2024)

i have similar engine + electro power in another BMW car and it is great, fuel saving is very big against classic petrol car, driving is smooth, BMW has perfect engines combo here, but remember one thing. After end of your guarantee/sevice paket, sell it asap, or maintenance cost kill you Those systems are very complex and any problem cost you a kidney ...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 06:49 AM   #43
Puffinrock
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 30e MSport

Great chat from everyone - I am in UK and have the 30e MSport with most kit added. A hybrid will never drive or feel like a ICE BMW but that's the future direction of all cars isn't it?. It can be driven slowly and quietly but also become absurdly fast if you put your foot to the floor. Low insurance despite Performance ratings due to engine size. For me I tried Macan, Q5 and Alfa Romeo but all a bit boring coming from a large diesel SUV. I gained minimal fuel spend per month and negotiated a 3 year service plan and Garox for car and leather. Works for me 😀
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 07:02 AM   #44
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmavrikis View Post
Also would it be very helpful if there are any suggestions on what is the best option in Mymode for economical and safe out of town driving on highway and country roads with X1 xdrive25e?
30e here.
I drive mostly in efficient mode.
If you want permanent 4wd (although controlled by vehicle electronic brain) you have to drive in Sport Mode, so you have ICE always on, and front axle always powered.