EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Test Driven ///M4

Yesterday I had the chance to have about 10 minutes in the drivers seat of the f82 m4.

Let me just say the anticipation of this car has finally exceeded my expectations. I like everyone had the worries of all the "efficient dynamics" "enhancements". All I can say is WOW the mmengineers really put together a complete car. Suitable for the track or the street equally as capable. I feel like this car has soul and can foster a long lasting relationship with its owner.

Styling - Always a completely subjective topic, I am a huge fan. Especially on the M4 I appreciate the integrated spoiler on the trunk, that then starts the two style lines that are then picked up by the beautiful carbon roof. Then those lines finally equate into the more square style power dome. A masterful piece of subtle but aggressive style aspect of this car. The proportions are extremely well balanced. The car has a lovely stance from the factory even though the front wheel gaps do seem a tad too big, not enough to bother me.

Performance - The car at idle or stopped has a somewhat generic soundtrack with a little something extra. You forget all about that once you start exploring the engines vast powerband. The motor has instant torque and power. Very reminiscent of my n54. The dct is marvelous as expected. The suspension feels extremely precise and the balance of the car in corners and weight transfers are extremely predictable. I know after whatever break in methodology you are a fan of this motor and suspension will only get better and more responsive. The STEERING is fantastic. This was the one aspect of this new m4 which worried me greatly. I will say this with the utmost certainty, the steering is brilliant. It is the best non hydraulic steering feel other than the new 991. Sport has a nice balanced but weighted enough feel. Click into sport + and you finally have that steering we BMW purists have been missing for sometime. The turning radius is excellent and the input you get from the steering feel is really great for the price of admission. The brakes on this car are spot on. I drove the non carbon set up. The standard brakes have a nice bite and the brake feel is consistent through the pedal. I'm sure the carbon brakes only enhance this but not necessary unless you will be at the track 10+ times a year.

Interior - The M4 interior is nice. The seats are very well supportive and extremely comfortable. The steering wheel feels perfect in size and width. The car I drive had the carbon trim which is nice but I would explore other options personally. Overall the interior is well laid out and the seating position is perfect. Visibility is never and issue. The car I drove did not have full so I cannot comment.

I have been eyeing and reading about this car for about a year now. After all my homework and my preconceived notions I am thoroughly impressed. I expected a 7/8 out of ten but I was surprised with a 9+ out of ten. Under the hood has an amazing looking strut brace that is truly a piece of art. The car would be a 10 with a better sounding Idle. But hey if the idle is my only gripe then I am a happy camper.

Happy motoring, let the modding of this beast begin.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Yesterday I had the chance to have about 10 minutes in the drivers seat of the f82 m4.

Let me just say the anticipation of this car has finally exceeded my expectations. I like everyone had the worries of all the "efficient dynamics" "enhancements". All I can say is WOW the mmengineers really put together a complete car. Suitable for the track or the street equally as capable. I feel like this car has soul and can foster a long lasting relationship with its owner.

Styling - Always a completely subjective topic, I am a huge fan. Especially on the M4 I appreciate the integrated spoiler on the trunk, that then starts the two style lines that are then picked up by the beautiful carbon roof. Then those lines finally equate into the more square style power dome. A masterful piece of subtle but aggressive style aspect of this car. The proportions are extremely well balanced. The car has a lovely stance from the factory even though the front wheel gaps do seem a tad too big, not enough to bother me.

Performance - The car at idle or stopped has a somewhat generic soundtrack with a little something extra. You forget all about that once you start exploring the engines vast powerband. The motor has instant torque and power. Very reminiscent of my n54. The dct is marvelous as expected. The suspension feels extremely precise and the balance of the car in corners and weight transfers are extremely predictable. I know after whatever break in methodology you are a fan of this motor and suspension will only get better and more responsive. The STEERING is fantastic. This was the one aspect of this new m4 which worried me greatly. I will say this with the utmost certainty, the steering is brilliant. It is the best non hydraulic steering feel other than the new 991. Sport has a nice balanced but weighted enough feel. Click into sport + and you finally have that steering we BMW purists have been missing for sometime. The turning radius is excellent and the input you get from the steering feel is really great for the price of admission. The brakes on this car are spot on. I drove the non carbon set up. The standard brakes have a nice bite and the brake feel is consistent through the pedal. I'm sure the carbon brakes only enhance this but not necessary unless you will be at the track 10+ times a year.

Interior - The M4 interior is nice. The seats are very well supportive and extremely comfortable. The steering wheel feels perfect in size and width. The car I drive had the carbon trim which is nice but I would explore other options personally. Overall the interior is well laid out and the seating position is perfect. Visibility is never and issue. The car I drove did not have full so I cannot comment.

I have been eyeing and reading about this car for about a year now. After all my homework and my preconceived notions I am thoroughly impressed. I expected a 7/8 out of ten but I was surprised with a 9+ out of ten. Under the hood has an amazing looking strut brace that is truly a piece of art. The car would be a 10 with a better sounding Idle. But hey if the idle is my only gripe then I am a happy camper.

Happy motoring, let the modding of this beast begin.
Great to hear! A friend of mine went to a launch event in the UK yesterday and echoed your thoughts- he was blown away by how good the car was. Cannot wait to pick mine up.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I was similarly impressed... I hadn't planned to place an order after my test drive and was really just checking the car out because there was one around to drive. It impressed me enough that I had one on order before leaving the dealer that afternoon.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
Well NOW you can call it a 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=6TtzJ0AyOOM
      06-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

I see everybody's getting out there and testing the car. I will wait until I'm close to the buying date otherwise if I love it the wait will surely kill me...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
I see everybody's getting out there and testing the car. I will wait until I'm close to the buying date otherwise if I love it the wait will surely kill me...
It was the worst thing I could do. I was happy with getting a 435i 6mt perf brakes/ power kit lol. Now I can't even think about that car. Very smart man. I have no choice I am a CA.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
phear_me
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph335 View Post
And they can't put that exhaust on the car stock why?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #8
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by phear_me View Post
And they can't put that exhaust on the car stock why?
Because there will be buyers who would find it too loud. They need to be able to cater to a wide range of tastes on this. Just like how some people will like the car stock and some will put a louder Eisenmann or Akra exhaust on... it isn't for all. Go with the "moderately sporty" exhaust on the car so no one will be turned off and then offer a louder option for those who want it. Makes perfect sense IMO.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #9
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Because there will be buyers who would find it too loud. They need to be able to cater to a wide range of tastes on this. Just like how some people will like the car stock and some will put a louder Eisenmann or Akra exhaust on... it isn't for all. Go with the "moderately sporty" exhaust on the car so no one will be turned off and then offer a louder option for those who want it. Makes perfect sense IMO.
That is more than exhaust in that video. Right?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
4UKCATS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 Jubilee Silver

I had a chance to drive a silver stone loaded (except full leather and adaptive susp). They didn't have an m3 yet but even though I'm not wild about silver stone the car looked amazing in person.

I echo everything the OP stated. The steering was spot on. Very similar to my e90 sport pkg. Love the heavy steering with a thick wheel and this was what I've been missing largely in my move to an f10 with m sport. The power band was breathtaking and the ride with the passive susp seemed about right.

The engine idles quietly but hit the pedal and wow! I came away so completely impressed I almost rolled my 535 2013 lease on the spot. My son was with me and said - get this car now. Of course, he's 15.

My f10 felt like a whale even in sport plus with dhp all the way home.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Man I love Silverstone. My E92 M3 was SS. The M4 really looks good in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Here's the thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
It's something like a 7 year cycle. I'm a pretty high mileage driver: I can't really own one of these things for more than five years. I often spend the first two years of an M3's life shopping for it. Sure it hurts, but giving up an M3/M4 before the new model is out hurts worse. That happened to me with my E46 and just happened again with E92 (DCT and other problems: I couldn't wait.). Then, there's always the chance that another, better car will come along. That hasn't happened to me since 1997, but it could.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Matteus
Monkey Tennis Player
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Merc AMG C63s Cabriolet

Drove to my local garage Saturday in my E92 M3 coupe, test drove the M4 for half an hour, then drove my M3 home. I have to say that the M4 is better in (nearly - see below) every way - and that includes sound IMHO - lovely throaty rasp. Salesman did look a bit nervous as I 'eased' the revs slightly (!) above 6000 though.......

Only negative for me - If you happen to be a long bodied 6 footer, you won't fit in the rear - it's not legroom that's the problem, it's headroom! But then, as I'm planning never to travel in the back, I really don't care!

One thing that really did strike me - just how gorgeous the M4 is in the flesh. The vast majority of photos so far really don't do it justice in my opinion.

I get mine next Monday, and that's going to feel like a long wait!
2012 BMW E92 M3
2008 BMW 135iM Coupe, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (Prodrive upgrade), 1998 Subaru Impreza WRX

Last edited by Matteus; 06-23-2014 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Adding clarification
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #14
rz3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SO/SOe F80 M3

I drove an M4 shortly after testing a 435 last week. The 335 was nice, but the M...oh my... very nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
4UKCATS
Private First Class
Rep

I would also say that my CA drove the car as well (it just arrived sat morning) and he has a 2013 m3 in silver stone. He said the m4 blew away his m3 and he had m4 envy. He also said the sound was better in the m4 vs his m3.

As for the back seat, honestly my f10 with comfort seats has only about an inch more legroom than the m4. I've also been in the new 335 and it has about as much legroom as my f10. Those comfort seats are way too thick.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4UKCATS
I would also say that my CA drove the car as well (it just arrived sat morning) and he has a 2013 m3 in silver stone. He said the m4 blew away his m3 and he had m4 envy. He also said the sound was better in the m4 vs his m3.

As for the back seat, honestly my f10 with comfort seats has only about an inch more legroom than the m4. I've also been in the new 335 and it has about as much legroom as my f10. Those comfort seats are way too thick.
You are a absolutely right. My f10 M5 had similar knee rooms comparing to f80. M5's seats are thick and bulky.
      06-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiaochinsan View Post
You are a absolutely right. My f10 M5 had similar knee rooms comparing to f80. M5's seats are thick and bulky.
I felt that the M5 was more comfortable and more spacious in that regard (back seat). I'm 5'9", so maybe I don't feel the difference as much.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
It's something like a 7 year cycle. I'm a pretty high mileage driver: I can't really own one of these things for more than five years. I often spend the first two years of an M3's life shopping for it. Sure it hurts, but giving up an M3/M4 before the new model is out hurts worse. That happened to me with my E46 and just happened again with E92 (DCT and other problems: I couldn't wait.). Then, there's always the chance that another, better car will come along. That hasn't happened to me since 1997, but it could.
True, the timing on my lease turned out to be 1 1/2 yrs before the M4 came out but there's nothing I could do about it. So I got into a 335 vert at that moment which meant I would have to wait 1 1/2 years more after the M4 came out. Now the wait will be painful...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #19
4UKCATS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
True, the timing on my lease turned out to be 1 1/2 yrs before the M4 came out but there's nothing I could do about it. So I got into a 335 vert at that moment which meant I would have to wait 1 1/2 years more after the M4 came out. Now the wait will be painful...
I also have 2 years left on my f10 lease. Gonna be a long wait for my m4.....😰
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #20
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Man I love Silverstone. My E92 M3 was SS. The M4 really looks good in it.
We just got a SS on SS f82 in.

We also have a SO on SO f80.

Both extremely stunning. These cars are really much more than expected orginally.

Thank you BMW well done!

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0