GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I dont think anyone will buy a car like this. Choosing 6mt or cloth will kill your resale value/chances. As much as many here would like to think through the enthusiast lenses; the reality is different.
      06-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I dont think anyone will buy a car like this. Choosing 6mt or cloth will kill your resale value/chances. As much as many here would like to think through the enthusiast lenses; the reality is different.
disagree completely, and is demonstrated both by e46 and e92 used car values

cloth, yes. 6mt, no
      06-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:
disagree completely, and is demonstrated both by e46 and e92 used car values

cloth, yes. 6mt, no
People usually talk out of their asses when they toss out resale predictions.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Let's agree to disagree... I know personally 10 e92 M3 owners... the split on dct vs stick is about 8 to 2. The 2 that have sticks say that the probably should have taken DCT. Once again, we are looking through enthusiast eyes not general public eyes. These are the same eyes that will track only 15% of these cars. Yes, you will be killing your resale value as for the most part the DCT will be the desired tranny. Feeling aside; you will also have slightly subpar performance when compared to the manual... Most here have not driven a High TQ turbo car with quick gearing where you have to short shift. It's coming your way if you chose the 6mt... the F80 and E90 are totally different beast. My short shift redline prediction was dead on... this will be as well.
      06-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree... I know personally 10 e92 M3 owners... the split on dct vs stick is about 8 to 2. The 2 that have sticks say that the probably should have taken DCT. Once again, we are looking through enthusiast eyes not general public eyes. These are the same eyes that will track only 15% of these cars. Yes, you will be killing your resale value as for the most part the DCT will be the desired tranny. Feeling aside; you will also have slightly subpar performance when compared to the manual... Most here have not driven a High TQ turbo car with quick gearing where you have to short shift. It's coming your way if you chose the 6mt... the F80 and E90 are totally different beast. My short shift redline prediction was dead on... this will be as well.
all that is a bunch of hearsay and absolutely zero actual data

check the used car market. there is no price premium for DCT over 6mt on either car. in fact, because SMG has shown to be unreliable, there is a huge price difference on the e46 between manual and SMG, with SMG being far cheaper.

point is, what your friends like is irrelevant. the market has shown no difference in resale, that's what matters. not your perception of liking autos more than manuals
      06-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:

check the used car market. there is no price premium for DCT over 6mt on either car. in fact, because SMG has shown to be unreliable, there is a huge price difference on the e46 between manual and SMG, with SMG being far cheaper.

point is, what your friends like is irrelevant. the market has shown no difference in resale, that's what matters. not your perception of liking autos more than manuals
BOOM!!

[/end resale discussion]
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

SMG is a garbage transmission... There is no questions asked about that. It's jerky, hesistant and has no idea what its doing. Add to that, unreliability. None of these apply to the DCT so you're comparing apples to oranges.

Do a nationwide cars.com search and you will see the split of the cars as being 45% manual / 55% DCT for the previous gen. The manuals aren't rare nor special yet the DCT I know from everyone that I talk to is the preferred tranny. No what makes you think it doesn't give it a resale advantage over the 6mt given it was a $3k option and is more demanded? This is the first turbo M3... things are different yet again.
      06-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep

Quote:
SMG is a garbage transmission... There is no questions asked about that. It's jerky, hesistant and has no idea what its doing. Add to that, unreliability. None of these apply to the DCT so you're comparing apples to oranges.

Do a nationwide cars.com search and you will see the split of the cars as being 45% manual / 55% DCT for the previous gen. The manuals aren't rare nor special yet the DCT I know from everyone that I talk to is the preferred tranny. No what makes you think it doesn't give it a resale advantage over the 6mt given it was a $3k option and is more demanded? This is the first turbo M3... things are different yet again.
its not complicated, there is literally one metric that matters. how much are they selling for, are they marketable? manual is not cheaper / less in demand than DCT, the market shows this. there is literally no point for further discussion.

personally, I find manuals to be more fun in turbo cars than high revving cars (though I will never own a non SUV in auto regardless). see the 1m for example, that seemed to be pretty well received, no?
      06-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Although I'm a manual guy I have to agree with this. Anytime an average buyer has a choice between MT and DCT in used car market...he'll take DCT 90% of the time if not more.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Sir Loin
M3AT LOVER
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Resale value? All you need is one buyer!
      06-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Cloth is gonna destroy resale?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

I had a DCT and next time I get a e93/e90 M3 it will be manual. For resale discussions, the bottom line - if the M3 has the right options or has a limited release of an option, it will do well in the resale market. My opinion is based on looking at e36 and e46 used prices

e36 - coupes with manuals are higher valued cars in the resale market (no luxury version)
e46 - coupes with ZCP and manual.
e90/e92 - don't know yet but I believe it will be cars with manuals. Once the pricing for fixing DCTs come out (say once there is a steady stream of 100k mile models), people will want the manuals
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Once again... e36s and e46 came with garbage automated transmissions. This was not the case in the e90... the dct in the e90 was the better tranny. Only enthusiasts will look for a manual tranny in the used market and that is believe it or not about 15% of the market.
      06-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:
Most here have not driven a High TQ turbo car with quick gearing where you have to short shift. It's coming your way if you chose the 6mt... the F80 and E90 are totally different beast. My short shift redline prediction was dead on... this will be as well.
umm...you've got that wrong, F80 needs to be shifted much less than high-revving E90...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

Thank you for calling out the utter wrongness of this statement. Too much to cover in why it was incorrect, you did a good job for us. Thank You
      06-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Having a manual is like owning a house with a pool. Yes, having a pool will knock out a lot of buyers. But it will also draw in buyers looking only for houses that have pools.

The same can be said about Manuals vs Auto's on the E80/82. It will easier to sell an auto because there are a lot of people out there that can only drive an automatic. But to those who love driving sticks, they will only buy a manual. Based on early sales figures, those wont be easy to come by.

Last edited by Damasconian; 06-23-2014 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Having a manual is like owning a house with a pool. Yes, having a pool will knock out a lot of buyers. But it will also draw in buyers looking only for houses that have pools.
Makes sense to me
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep

LOL, I love how an admin has already turned this into a thread from a comment that I made.
      06-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

I completely disagree w/ the OP and think probably from a %age standpoint, strippers will probably have better resale if anything. Generally speaking, you don't get 100% of an option cost back in resale. I.e. yes the DCT will likely fetch more, but will it fetch $2900 more? I doubt it.

At the end of the day I don't care. I don't really worry about resale value. I buy the car I want and enjoy it and when it comes time to sell (likely not til 6-8 years from now) I will try and get the best value I can for it but won't sweat it much. My order is fairly well optioned (exec package, full leather, LEDs, 19s etc.) but MT in AW, FWIW (i.e. it's not like I have a stripper w/ cloth seats and am trying to defend that purchase).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post

The same can be said about Manuals vs Auto's on the E80/82. It will easier to sell an auto because there are a lot of people out there that can only drive an automatic. But to those who love driving sticks, they will only buy a manual. Based on early sales figures, those wont be easy to come by.
This is a really good analogy. I agree. FWIW, sure, the DCT will be even better on the S55 than the S65 purely due to the ability to conduct gear changes while under full throttle, but my E46 was a 6MT and my e92 was a 6MT and both buyers flew from well out of my area to both look at and purchase my vehicles. Their reasoning? 1. Condition of my cars 2. 6MT was what they really wanted 3. Color combination

I don't think resale value is killed at all. There are plenty of niche buyers that will buy these cars, and will sometimes pay a premium just to have something that they really want. Odds are, these cars will sell just as well, regardless of transmission choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery View Post
I completely disagree w/ the OP and think probably from a %age standpoint, strippers will probably have better resale if anything. Generally speaking, you don't get 100% of an option cost back in resale. I.e. yes the DCT will likely fetch more, but will it fetch $2900 more? I doubt it.

At the end of the day I don't care. I don't really worry about resale value. I buy the car I want and enjoy it and when it comes time to sell (likely not til 6-8 years from now) I will try and get the best value I can for it but won't sweat it much. My order is fairly well optioned (exec package, full leather, LEDs, 19s etc.) but MT in AW, FWIW (i.e. it's not like I have a stripper w/ cloth seats and am trying to defend that purchase).
I think it's a crapshoot regardless, but you're right. DCT will not see anywhere near 2900 over a 6MT in the used market. It all depends on the buyer.

Nice choice on your ride btw. Well-optioned 6MT FTW.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #21
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Who in the Hell is reselling their car before even getting it delivered? C'mon peeps give this discussion a couple of years before revisiting.

I plan on driving the shit out of mine until the wheels fall off. If someone wants to purchase my corpse of an M4 in 12-13 years, I might consider coming back to this thread to see what the re-sale value will be.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #22
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
When I sold my manual/pleather interior 325 years ago it sold in a day for a nice figure, huge interest, people called like I was selling a unicorn and I had similar thoughts to the OP...who will want this stripped 3?

Low optioned cars retain more of their value, I thought everyone knew that. I'm going to take a massive beating when I sell my $90K CCB and full cow M3.
Appreciate 0