Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Brosef
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Sakhir Orange M4 Review

another test-drive thread...

brief background - my most recent car was an E92 M3, which I upgraded with an ESS VT2 S/C, Brembo BBK, KWV3, full exhaust, HREs, etc.

I'll skip repeating the typical review comments I've seen here, which I tend to agree with for the most part. here are a few thoughts on the M3/4 that still surprised me a little:

1. engine is an absolute beast. of course it lacks the theater of the V8 with full exhaust, but I have to say it felt faster than the S/C V8 in 90% of the situations I would use in everyday driving. coupled with the improved efficiency, I consider this a significant win. loved the exhaust note, too. vids don't do it justice.
2. seats are impressive. I'm about average size in every dimension (from the waste up, anyway...), and they just hold you in place so damn well.
3. handling. car definitely felt significantly lighter on its feet in turns, and the level of grip was amazing. noticeably more planted taking turns at speed. combined with the supportive seats, it inspires a lot of confidence.
4. full leather - totally worth it.
5. DCT was incredible as always - unfortunately, no manual available to drive. after DCT in the E92, I'm going manual this time.
6. Sakhir orange. this looks way less red than photos seem to represent. maybe it's all the amateur photographers on these forums who screw around with the colors of their photos, but I found Sakhir to be way different than what I was prepared for. less red and orange, but more burnt. I actually loved it - bold, but sophisticated and kind of understated at the same time. like others, I'm not in love with many of the color choices, but this is one I'm going to give serious consideration to. it didn't show the burst of orange the way I've seen in photos around here, and I kind of liked that.
7. exterior design aesthetics. car looks way more athletic in person. pictures certainly don't do justice to the aggressiveness and overall stance. I was never in love with my E92 - I always thought the E46 was much better looking with its boxy curves. the E92 can look dopey from some angles. I like the more squarish design of this generation way better.

here are some iPhone photos, which I think represent SO fairly well. thanks for reading. can't wait to place my order.

Last edited by Brosef; 07-21-2014 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I couldn't make up my mind between this color and AW... I went with AW just because I couldn't see one in person. I figured if I get bored with AW, I can wrap it in some other color.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Nice one Brosef! I have the same config for the most part. I come from 2 DCT E92's(which I really do not like the 6spd mated to), one with Active Gen 2 Level 3, and for the M4 I chose 6spd due to the available torque all through rpm. I drove 2600km through Europe and choosing the 6spd was for sure the right choice. Sakhir is really nice and while it was the rarest choice of the 15 on our trip it was receiving constant WOW's!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I went with SO exterior, finally made up my mind yesterday.

I did my best to see one in person in the week leading up to yesterday. I live in the nations 4th largest city, we have 6 BMW dealers within 30 miles. Not one of them had a SO M3/4/5/6 in stock. Not a new one or used one. The fact I couldnt find this color in a city this size told me its the way to go. Different, rare, and a color that does look different in various lighting. I was worried it would be too LOUD but the second I saw the car from 40 yards away I knew it was for me.

My wife is friends with a gal who's man drives a SO M6. He showed it to me yesterday. Awesome. Still trying to decide what wheels looks best on it, but ended up going with the lighter wheels, dark wheels arent my thing.

Great write-up, we SO lovers find solace in these positive color reviews.

Edit: These pictures are the best I have seen of SO in real life. This is what the color looks like on a daily basis. Yes, it can get streaks of yellow, but only under direct sunlight on a very sunny day.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
6. Sakhir orange. this looks way less red than photos seem to represent. maybe it's all the amateur photographers on these forums who screw around with the colors of their photos, but I found Sakhir to be way different than what I was prepared for. less red and orange, but more burnt. I actually loved it - bold, but sophisticated and kind of understated at the same time. like others, I'm not in love with many of the color choices, but this is one I'm going to give serious consideration to. it didn't show the burst of orange the way I've seen in photos around here, and I kind of liked that.
I have taken to calling Sakhir "Classy Orange". You hit it exactly -- it's sophisticated and understated. It suits the car well. It is similar some other burnt oranges that I have seen on some models less sporting than the F80/2, but I don't look at AW and think of every white unmarked child molester van either.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Great description for the sound of the e9x: theater. With all of this talk about noise and torque I was winding out my e93 over the weekend and that's the perfect word ... With a modded exhaust it's this building roar that never fails to impress. When I analyze the experience, it's definitely about speed and pull but the sound is awesome.

But what if you turn down the sound and up the power? what would that do to the overall experience? Less theater, in exchange for more action - that's actually a nice change of pace!

Also, totally agree about SO in person vs pics ... your pics are about the best I've seen in terms of representing the color ...

I wish you could've gotten some SO interior pics!! That's the one I have seen in person yet ... I"m hoping it's not the bright orangey-red most pics ... I'd love a darker more burnt color.

the BMW SO is much better than Porsche's "Amber Orange" IMO:

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Brosef
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Great description for the sound of the e9x: theater. With all of this talk about noise and torque I was winding out my e93 over the weekend and that's the perfect word ... With a modded exhaust it's this building roar that never fails to impress. When I analyze the experience, it's definitely about speed and pull but the sound is awesome.

But what if you turn down the sound and up the power? what would that do to the overall experience? Less theater, in exchange for more action - that's actually a nice change of pace!

Also, totally agree about SO in person vs pics ... your pics are about the best I've seen in terms of representing the color ...

I wish you could've gotten some SO interior pics!! That's the one I have seen in person yet ... I"m hoping it's not the bright orangey-red most pics ... I'd love a darker more burnt color.
sorry, didn't snap any of the interior. but I would say you'll be happy if you're looking for a more subdued, burnt color with SO leather. I've seen some pics on this forum that make it look like a bright red like Coral red - it doesn't pop nearly that much. it's more like a brick red, but it has some orange to it. overall, I liked it more than the outgoing Fox red.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Great interior and exterior color choices. That is the best picture of what sakhir orange looks like in person. Congratulations.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

SO is so amazing!!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
sherm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
I couldn't make up my mind between this color and AW... I went with AW just because I couldn't see one in person. I figured if I get bored with AW, I can wrap it in some other color.
That's exactly my plan.. I regret not getting SO but I'll probably wrap it in this nice blue matte wrap that I've seen on a few cars and it's gorgeous!
///M4 | Alpine White | Sakhir Orange Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim & Roof | DCT | Black 19" Wheels | Executive Package | Driver Assistance Plus Package | Adaptive M Suspension | Enhanced USB | Parking Assist | Harman Kardon
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
SO is so amazing!!
Um ya!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm View Post
That's exactly my plan.. I regret not getting SO but I'll probably wrap it in this nice blue matte wrap that I've seen on a few cars and it's gorgeous!
Unbelievable!! People talking about wrapping their entire car?? I mentioned maybe doing a CF roof wrap on my M4 with moonroof and got flamed till I was burned to a crisp!!
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
Unbelievable!! People talking about wrapping their entire car?? I mentioned maybe doing a CF roof wrap on my M4 with moonroof and got flamed till I was burned to a crisp!!
I personally have no issues with what anyone does to their own car. Its yours! However when you post a comment on a forum you're going to get the haters out telling you why you are wrong about whatever decision you write about.

For me personally, wrapping a roof to have it resemble a CF roof is equal to fake portholes you see on cars. Its equal to putting a 4x4 badge on a 4x2 truck. Its not real, and the people you are trying to impress with the deception are the exact same guys that can figure it out from 20 yards away.

You may be doing it only for your own enjoyment. If thats the case, who cares what anyone on any forum thinks about it?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
I personally have no issues with what anyone does to their own car. Its yours! However when you post a comment on a forum you're going to get the haters out telling you why you are wrong about whatever decision you write about.

For me personally, wrapping a roof to have it resemble a CF roof is equal to fake portholes you see on cars. Its equal to putting a 4x4 badge on a 4x2 truck. Its not real, and the people you are trying to impress with the deception are the exact same guys that can figure it out from 20 yards away.

You may be doing it only for your own enjoyment. If thats the case, who cares what anyone on any forum thinks about it?
I have NO intention of doing a CF wrap on my roof!! I said it tongue in cheek in the first place, because wrapping an $80k car seems wrong even if it is just the roof. But a whole car ......
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
sorry, didn't snap any of the interior. but I would say you'll be happy if you're looking for a more subdued, burnt color with SO leather. I've seen some pics on this forum that make it look like a bright red like Coral red - it doesn't pop nearly that much. it's more like a brick red, but it has some orange to it. overall, I liked it more than the outgoing Fox red.
You would not look at the color IRL and say "orange". You would call it "red, with a hint of orange".
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

SO wasn't even in the run for my exterior color choice but it's quickly jumped to #1. Such and exotic and dynamic color!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #17
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

the BMW SO is much better than Porsche's "Amber Orange" IMO:

Here's a good pic of my SO interior showing the colour quite well in bright sunlight and shade on the same seat, it definitely looks like the darker colour on the headrest area most of the time
Attached Images

2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #18
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PSI View Post
Um ya!
Your just biased lol

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Here's a good pic of my SO interior showing the colour quite well in bright sunlight and shade on the same seat, it definitely looks like the darker colour on the headrest area most of the time
thanks! hmmm ... since I"m getting a 'vert I'm guessing the sunlight-orange will be the norm ... pretty orangey at least by that photo, but ... wth yolo
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
midwesterner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I saw the exact same car recently and I was all set on MW or AW. Now, I am thinking the SO would look great.

Brosef, did you like the SO exterior WITH the SO interior? My first thought was its too much, but after seeing this combo, it may actually work. Curious what your impressions (or anyone else who has a SO/SO) were for the combo....

Quote:
another test-drive thread...

brief background - my most recent car was an E92 M3, which I upgraded with an ESS VT2 S/C, Brembo BBK, KWV3, full exhaust, HREs, etc.

I'll skip repeating the typical review comments I've seen here, which I tend to agree with for the most part. here are a few thoughts on the M3/4 that still surprised me a little:

1. engine is an absolute beast. of course it lacks the theater of the V8 with full exhaust, but I have to say it felt faster than the S/C V8 in 90% of the situations I would use in everyday driving. coupled with the improved efficiency, I consider this a significant win. loved the exhaust note, too. vids don't do it justice.
2. seats are impressive. I'm about average size in every dimension (from the waste up, anyway...), and they just hold you in place so damn well.
3. handling. car definitely felt significantly lighter on its feet in turns, and the level of grip was amazing. noticeably more planted taking turns at speed. combined with the supportive seats, it inspires a lot of confidence.
4. full leather - totally worth it.
5. DCT was incredible as always - unfortunately, no manual available to drive. after DCT in the E92, I'm going manual this time.
7. exterior design aesthetics. car looks way more athletic in person. pictures certainly don't do justice to the aggressiveness and overall stance. I was never in love with my E92 - I always thought the E46 was much better looking with its boxy curves. the E92 can look dopey from some angles. I like the more squarish design of this generation way better.

here are some iPhone photos, which I think represent SO fairly well. thanks for reading. can't wait to place my order.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #21
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
thanks! hmmm ... since I"m getting a 'vert I'm guessing the sunlight-orange will be the norm ... pretty orangey at least by that photo, but ... wth yolo
It rarely looks that orange IRL if I'm honest, the darker colour is far more representative of how SO looks most of the time even in sunlight.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
Brosef
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
I saw the exact same car recently and I was all set on MW or AW. Now, I am thinking the SO would look great.

Brosef, did you like the SO exterior WITH the SO interior? My first thought was its too much, but after seeing this combo, it may actually work. Curious what your impressions (or anyone else who has a SO/SO) were for the combo....
same boat. I was previously set on MW, but now I'm thinking maybe SO.

as for interior, I wound definitely recommend a contrasting color. I think black is the safer interior combo for a more conservative look and minimal maintenance. Silverstone would look incredible and really pop, but you have to keep up with the maintenance I'm sure (not much, but probably need to wipe down the drivers seat with a damp cloth once every couple weeks if you wear jeans a lot). I guess for me, it would come down to how long you plan to own the car. if it's for 5+ years, black would probably hold up better over time. if I were planning to turn the car back in within 5 years, I'd definitely get Silverstone full leather.
Appreciate 0