BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Kiwi123
Rep
Drives: x5 40d

Anyone has this problem? Help please!

Have having my first x5 for 3 months now. I always feel pain on my right leg and feet after long driving( 1 hour at least). I think in is the accelerate and brake pedal position problem. I've been keeping changing the seat position to match these two pedals, but failed. Anyone experiences this problem? Please help me out, it drives me crazy
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi123 View Post
Have having my first x5 for 3 months now. I always feel pain on my right leg and feet after long driving( 1 hour at least). I think in is the accelerate and brake pedal position problem. I've been keeping changing the seat position to match these two pedals, but failed. Anyone experiences this problem? Please help me out, it drives me crazy
Do you have Multi-Contour seats? If so, adjust the portion of the seat that pushes outward and bring it closer to you. Also, change your seat front angle (adjust up or down) and drive in 5 minute intervals on the highway to your next long destination and keep adjusting the angle accordingly until you find a healthy position.

Aside from the blaming the vehicle, let's talk a little bit about your health, etc:
1) How old are you?
2) Please describe this pain and the exact muscles/areas it is affecting. How long does it last? Is it consistent or intermittent (comes and goes) pain?
3) Any sort of pain like this before aside from sitting in a vehicle?
4) Are you diabetic? Any arthritis or previous injuries to this region of discomfort before?

The more details the better - if you're not comfortable sharing about your health (if the car is not the issue), please feel free to PM me. Then we'll go from there in trying to figure out your situation. Feel better, buddy .
      08-17-2014, 05:22 AM   #3
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

I think the main problem is the lumbar support, I paid extra for the comfort seats to get those, I cant find a good position without it.

Last edited by kip1; 08-18-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Years ago I had right foot pain with a manual, I simply had the seat too far back.

Here is a guideline from M school, its a guideline
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Hang0ver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

IMO BMW has the nice positioning of accelerator compared to others like AUDI, Nissan etc. You can just lay your feet on the accelerator gently whereas in others, you need keep them in the air.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Do you keep your wallet in the right back pocket? Take it out and try the ride again. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Dataready
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Quote:
Do you have Multi-Contour seats? If so, adjust the portion of the seat that pushes outward and bring it closer to you. Also, change your seat front angle (adjust up or down) and drive in 5 minute intervals on the highway to your next long destination and keep adjusting the angle accordingly until you find a healthy position.

Aside from the blaming the vehicle, let's talk a little bit about your health, etc:
1) How old are you?
2) Please describe this pain and the exact muscles/areas it is affecting. How long does it last? Is it consistent or intermittent (comes and goes) pain?
4) Are you diabetic? Any arthritis or previous injuries to this region of discomfort before?

The more details the better - if you're not comfortable sharing about your health (if the car is not the issue), please feel free to PM me. Then we'll go from there in trying to figure out your situation. Feel better, buddy .
Opasha, you sound like you are in health care. Are you?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready
Do you keep your wallet in the right back pocket? Take it out and try the ride again. Just my 2 cents.
+1 for Dataready's comment. Having a wallet in my back pocket has never really been an issue before, but I think the X5 seats are firmer than my previous cars, so I found that my right leg was uncomfortable if I drove with my wallet in my rear pocket for any distance. Remove the wallet and no more issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Seats

TS, interesting question, and sorry to hear about your issue as I think I know (too) well what you are talking about.
Therefore, please allow me to bring you my little "story".

Sitting positions in cars is always an issue for me - having a slight back problem. Not really something wrong, just wear and tear in the lower back.
My little story starts back in 2010, when we bought a BMW X1 with the basic seats, coming from a quite basic Japanese car.
I drove a X1 with sports-seats for testing - but trying to save the pennies - we went for the std ones.
The X1 became our worst seat-nightmare ever, and we had it only a few Months.
I simply couldn't find a good position for the legs, and the whole seat was too low to support the legs in my best sitting position.

Finally, I realized that this must the BMW way of making seats - a bit firmer than usual - and a bit different in angles of the seats.
I could NOT tilt the seat UP in front enough to support my knees - and thus the legs will automatically be held up in the air
by some muscles in your leg/lower back and slowly causing pain/tiredness.

For the last X1 months, THIS was the only possible option for me:

Not pretty, but a way to use the car until sold.

The X1 was traded in our former car, Volvo XC60.
Seats being a dream for my body - even the std. seats. And kind of "unfortunately", I still have to accept the fact that the Volvo seats are still the best I have used - now driving a similar car as you.
Now, as we like BMW as a brand and it again was time for a car-change, we looked back at the brand - this time being very aware of the "BMW seat style" and possible issue for me.
It quickly became clear that only a car with the very, very best seats was good enough for us. MC/Comfort seats would be the very first option to be ticked off - whatever price.
X5 was our choice.

We have had our car for about one Month now, and totally, I must say I am quite happy/OK with the seats - BUT they are not in the league of (even the std) Volvo seats. That say something.
LOOOVE our car very much, hope to have it many years - but seats could actually have been better.
I mean, in this car-class you kind of take it for granted that it would be possible to adjust BMW's best - their MC seats to your very own "dream comfort position".
I have found a good position in the settings, using the max up-tilt possible on the seat, the lumbar support on the lowest possible position etc, and are OK.

Finally, I haven't really driven more than about 2h continuously with the car yet, so I think it's too early do draw a a final conclusion,
but I sometimes keep adjusting and pressing some buttons a little to adapt the seat. Something not necessary (and not possible either in our old Volvo, with more limited adjustments).

So, I hope your problem can be solved as the MC seats in the X5 is something of the very top seats possible to get in a BMW.
In my own humble head, I just keep thinking that the style and concept of BMW - having a more sporty image - like stiffer/harder padding in the seats and simply a more "laid down" sitting position
(especially compared to a Volvo) - may not be for everyone after all.

All best
Bent

Last edited by BXdriver; 09-10-2014 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: Image fix
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataready View Post
Opasha, you sound like you are in health care. Are you?
Medical Student . Hopefully, it's just the positioning of his seat or some of the good tips mentioned here in this thread by fellow members.

To add further, it could be that the seats are so stiff that certain muscles of his body aren't used to it. Considering he is using mostly the muscles in his right leg as he accelerates/brakes, the way he is sitting could be stressing that area. He might be using certain regions of his leg muscle that in that position isn't used regularly. It's kind of like when we do squats or other leg workouts after a long time and the next day our legs are pretty much dead for the next 2-3 days trying to recover from the soreness.

I think the wallet tip above also coincides with this, especially for a thick wallet. Our body likes symmetry. So when we put more pressure to one side, naturally it will start to fatigue/cause more physical stress.
      08-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Kiwi123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post

1) How old are you?

Thanks so much Opasha. I don't have multi-contour seat. My car is m sport, so the seat is sport.
I'm 30 years old, 185cm height
The main affected muscles is on leg/lower back. The pain is something like that the leg is numb. I didn't have this kind of pain in my previous car which is BMW 325i coupe AUTO. I'm not disable and don't have any previous injuries.
When I drive, I put right heel on the floor and rotate between accelerate and break pedals. I noticed break pedal in new x5 is too high to reach. Do I need to call BMW to look at?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
Kiwi123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXdriver View Post
TS, interesting question, and sorry to hear about your issue as I think I know (too) well what you are talking about.
Therefore, please allow me to bring you my little "story".

Sitting positions in cars is always an issue for me - having a slight back problem. Not really something wrong, just wear and tear in the lower back.
My little story starts back in 2010, when we bought a BMW X1 with the basic seats, coming from a quite basic Japanese car.
I drove a X1 with sports-seats for testing - but trying to save the pennies - we went for the std ones.
The X1 became our worst seat-nightmare ever, and we had it only a few Months.
I simply couldn't find a good position for the legs, and the whole seat was too low to support the legs in my best sitting position.

Finally, I realized that this must the BMW way of making seats - a bit firmer than usual - and a bit different in angles of the seats.
I could NOT tilt the seat UP in front enough to support my knees - and thus the legs will automatically be held up in the air
by some muscles in your leg/lower back and slowly causing pain/tiredness.

For the last X1 months, THIS was the only possible option for me:

Not pretty, but a way to use the car until sold.

The X1 was traded in our former car, Volvo XC60.
Seats being a dream for my body - even the std. seats. And kind of "unfortunately", I still have to accept the fact that the Volvo seats are still the best I have used - now driving a similar car as you.
Now, as we like BMW as a brand and it again was time for a car-change, we looked back at the brand - this time being very aware of the "BMW seat style" and possible issue for me.
It quickly became clear that only a car with the very, very best seats was good enough for us. MC/Comfort seats would be the very first option to be ticked off - whatever price.
X5 was our choice.

We have had our car for about one Month now, and totally, I must say I am quite happy/OK with the seats - BUT they are not in the league of (even the std) Volvo seats. That say something.
LOOOVE our car very much, hope to have it many years - but seats could actually have been better.
I mean, in this car-class you kind of take it for granted that it would be possible to adjust BMW's best - their MC seats to your very own "dream comfort position".
I have found a good position in the settings, using the max up-tilt possible on the seat, the lumbar support on the lowest possible position etc, and are OK.

Finally, I haven't really driven more than about 2h continuously with the car yet, so I think it's too early do draw a a final conclusion,
but I sometimes keep adjusting and pressing some buttons a little to adapt the seat. Something not necessary (and not possible either in our old Volvo, with more limited adjustments).

So, I hope your problem can be solved as the MC seats in the X5 is something of the very top seats possible to get in a BMW.
In my own humble head, I just keep thinking that the style and concept of BMW - having a more sporty image - like stiffer/harder padding in the seats and simply a more "laid down" sitting position
(especially compared to a Volvo) - may not be for everyone after all.

All best
Bent
Cheers. Bent. I don't have MC seat in my car
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Hmm. I actually have the opposite problem.
My back always stiffen up and my knee's hurting also when I drive my F10.
On the F15 is much better due to the more vertical sitting down position than the horizontal laying down position.
But, then, that's because I have slight injury on my lower back from my younger years and injured knee and ankle from recent basketball game.
I stopped putting my wallet in my rear pocket for over a year now, it does help a lot also.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Holy crap that's a lot of cushion! Lol. Whatever works, I'm 6'2" 250lbs and I am really comfortable in the MC seat. The 991 is also comfortable, just a pain to get into and out of because it's low. Opasha, when your done with Med School, call me I will hire you in NJ as a Ortho guy! Great taste in cars! Lol!

Joe
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much Opasha. I don't have multi-contour seat. My car is m sport, so the seat is sport.
I'm 30 years old, 185cm height
The main affected muscles is on leg/lower back. The pain is something like that the leg is numb. I didn't have this kind of pain in my previous car which is BMW 325i coupe AUTO. I'm not disable and don't have any previous injuries.
When I drive, I put right heel on the floor and rotate between accelerate and break pedals. I noticed break pedal in new x5 is too high to reach. Do I need to call BMW to look at?
You're most welcome . I had a gut feeling you had the sport seats. So, these are sort of a deep bucket style seat from what I have seen. This can add stress to your back, especially your lower back, which is one of the weakest muscles in your body if not properly worked out when undergoing activity/stress - that's why you see a lot of people pull it easier, especially as you age. It's also why dead lifts KILL your lower back the next few days after a tough workout.

The one thing to try is to increase the lower back support. There are two buttons that deal with this on the side of your seat. They should be the furthest 2 back buttons (front to increase support, back to decrease support). I'm not sure if the sport seats have this feature or not. I know the MC seats do. My father has lower back issues and uses this feature in every car he drives. My brother had a g37 coupe with sporty bucket style seats, and my father pulled his lower back when he drove that car twice. Granted it sits lower. With that in mind, try raising your seat until there is less stress on your leg. The more weight you put on that leg, the more stressed/fatigued it gets (I have experienced this as well in some vehicles if the seat was not properly positioned). The leg needs to be resting because you are constantly using it. From what you are experiencing, it is getting fatigued and is not used to that position and having to do work at the same time. I'm sure you have had your legs fall asleep or go numb/tingle when you sit on the ground for a long time with your legs underneath you knees pointing forward. The natural instinct is to change positions...indian style, etc. However, in your car, naturally, you can't do this aside from changing the seat height or moving back or forward a little.

As for your brake pedal, it could be that you're too far back and should try moving your seat forward. If that doesn't fix it, take a picture of your pedal for us so we can compare and see if something is wrong there. I don't think I've ever come across such a defect in the many vehicles I have seen/driven. I hope you get this figured out and alleviate your pain.

Like @r33 said, my knees have hurt before by having a bad positioning of the seat. People don't realize this, but positioning matters a lot in how your body relaxes/contracts it's muscles/joints.

Sorry for the LONG post .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post
Holy crap that's a lot of cushion! Lol. Whatever works, I'm 6'2" 250lbs and I am really comfortable in the MC seat. The 991 is also comfortable, just a pain to get into and out of because it's low. Opasha, when your done with Med School, call me I will hire you in NJ as a Ortho guy! Great taste in cars! Lol!

Joe
It's funny you mention Ortho..that's exactly the field I'm interested in! Thank you very much, Joe. I appreciate the kind gesture . Lol, yeah, my cousin got me into cars. It's really great how much we learn from each other!

Last edited by opasha; 08-17-2014 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #16
BXdriver
Four stripes vehicle commander
Norway
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Cheers. Bent. I don't have MC seat in my car
Hi Kiwi123,

Thanks, and my mistake.
I was kind of thinking MC seats in your X5 all the way. As for the sports seats, I really cannot comment.

Just that back in our X1 days - I tried ALL options, from local tool shops that may could retrofit some RECARO seats
to BMW themselves to arrange new sports seats for me (the best possible in X1) - but the cost involved was
so high that it actually became a more viable option to exchange the car...

But then, maybe this could be different in your area (and with the X5 as well) and worth checking out??

Take care, hope for some good ideas in this forum.

Best
Bent
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (e90)

my multi-contour seats

In my previous E70, the ventilated multi-contour seats were the most comfortable seats I have ever rested my body! I could drive 6 hours straight without any discomfort. However, the new ventilated multi-contour seats in the F15 are pain awful! No matter the setup, I cannot go 20 minutes without squirming around in anguish.

Somehow BMW's design combination of a stiff leather, insufficient padding, raised seams and uncomfortable sewing pattern has created a seat that imho cannot be any less comfortable!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Just so everyone knows.. sitting period is the worst thing you can ever do for your overall health. I try to avoid long distance drives for this reason unless I can stop every hour or so..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 09:01 AM   #19
MMW2018
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2018

Same Right Leg problem

Quote:

I have the exact same right leg pain problem with my 2018 X3 which i bought 3 months ago. Like you, I know it has to do with the brake pedal position which is at a weird angle that strains my right leg all the way up to my hip. If I drive in heavy traffic where i have to keep stepping on the brakes, the more trouble i have with my leg. It almost seems like the brake peddle should have been positioned where the accelerator is. Being positioned more towards the left makes it very uncomfortable. I have tried moving my seat to different positions buy nothing helps. If seat could move a bit to the left, it would help. Feeling frustrated and disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #20
cpatt04
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Sport

Quote:
Yup I have this same problem. Also the curvature of the sport seat from lower back to lower thigh puts pressure on my hamstring causing it chronic tightness. I was playing basketball last night and slightly pulled my hamstring in the same exact spot where the pressure is while sitting in my driver seat. The transmission tunnel forces your right leg and foot to lean to the side so you're literally pressing the pedals sideways, while your knee protrudes out to the right. It's annoying af to watch their videos on how ergonically correct they've designed their seats but they're the worst seats I've ever sat in! I did a 2 hour drive about a week after I got it and I'm wondering why I can't find a comfortable seating position. After a little over a year of researching why my legs are in pain and going numb while I'm driving, I finally understand whats going on.

These cars were designed to be driven in Germany, which would be on the right. The transmission tunnel would be next to your dead pedal, and your gas pedal would be on the right, and its sooo much more space for your foot without the intrusion of the transmission tunnel. Just sit in your passenger seat and pretend there are pedals there, you'll see what I'm saying. Love the car, hate the ergonomics and now trying to find something that suits a long legged 6'3" driver smfh.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
cpatt04
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMW2018 View Post
I have the exact same right leg pain problem with my 2018 X3 which i bought 3 months ago. Like you, I know it has to do with the brake pedal position which is at a weird angle that strains my right leg all the way up to my hip. If I drive in heavy traffic where i have to keep stepping on the brakes, the more trouble i have with my leg. It almost seems like the brake peddle should have been positioned where the accelerator is. Being positioned more towards the left makes it very uncomfortable. I have tried moving my seat to different positions buy nothing helps. If seat could move a bit to the left, it would help. Feeling frustrated and disappointed.
Same dude. I'm f*ckin furious actually. The problem is the driver seat was made to be on the right, but since we're in US its on the left and transmission tunnel is in the way of the gas pedal. I used to love BMW, before I actually owned one now I probably will never even test drive another one because of this bs.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #22
König
König
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 x50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatt04 View Post
Same dude. I'm f*ckin furious actually. The problem is the driver seat was made to be on the right, but since we're in US its on the left and transmission tunnel is in the way of the gas pedal. I used to love BMW, before I actually owned one now I probably will never even test drive another one because of this bs.
I'm not sure about this. Why would a German car company make a car originally designed to be RHD?
Appreciate 0