BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7 M60i

People that have the factory rear DVD system

Which Bluetooth headphones did you get? We bought some Bluetooth headphones from Best Buy but the BMW system wouldn't recognize them. We just got a 2015 X5D. Information is scant on the headphones and it didn't come with any. Also, is there anyway to watch 2 different movies on the 2 screens? There is just one DVD slot below the rear air controls. Has anyone tried a USB stick into the USB slot next to the DVD player in the rear?
      08-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

I was really fortunate in that my dealer provided me with two pairs of BMW headphones. Once connected they work really well. Switch themselves off when RSE is off, and easy to switch channels between TV and DVD. In the UK they sell for bout £80/pair.

You can watch 2 movies by using the DVD slot in the rear for one screen and the front slot for the other. For the front screen you select output to rear screen.

When using a USB stick for movies, home videos work fine but if I copy a movie from iTunes on my Mac to the USB it won't play. I think this is because of DRM. I'm sure there is a way around this but I don't know what it is. Likewise movies from my iPhone/iPod won't play either if I connect this via USB. But we have a ton of DVDs (and can spec TV in Europe) so while a niggle doesn't stop us enjoying the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

Thx Sean for the info. Are these the headphones that work with the system?

http://www.bramanbmwparts.com/bmw-di...inment-system/

Also, for the second movie that you play through the front head unit, can you still listen to other music through the speakers while kids watch 2 movies with headphones or are you stuck listening to the movie played in the front? Thx again
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanditz View Post
Thx Sean for the info. Are these the headphones that work with the system?

http://www.bramanbmwparts.com/bmw-di...inment-system/

Also, for the second movie that you play through the front head unit, can you still listen to other music through the speakers while kids watch 2 movies with headphones or are you stuck listening to the movie played in the front? Thx again
Yes these are the headphones I have. More expensive than I thought!

Definitely when one is watching DVD and the other TV. To be honest I have never tried 2 different DVDs to the rear. We're away next week so will try it then and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
CaliX5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

I am looking for headsets too. I couldn't get the front dvd to play to the rear. I did get two remotes to work in the rear... My boys were fighting over the one remote.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
oc81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_250 View Post
You can watch 2 movies by using the DVD slot in the rear for one screen and the front slot for the other. For the front screen you select output to rear screen.
How do you play DVD from front slot in the back ? I did not succeed...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliX5 View Post
I am looking for headsets too. I couldn't get the front dvd to play to the rear. I did get two remotes to work in the rear... My boys were fighting over the one remote.
Lol. My 4 and 6 year old were fighting over the remote also. Know the feeling. BMW actually took a step back in ease of use over the factory installed rear DVD headrest screens. The 2012 version each had their own DVD slot and had controls on the screen. The remote that comes with the 2015 is difficult for a kid to use and figure out. Kinda disappointed with the system. I like how you can start the playback of the movie in the I-drive screen in the front when the DVD is loaded in the rear player, but overall functionality is more difficult. I ordered the headsets off eBay for $130 a piece, and might consider an extra remote also.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

So I got the $130 each headphones. Still can't pair with system. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #9
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

The rear seat entertainment system is really finicky when it comes to video playback. My HTC One works fine, but I can't get video to work from iPhone 5/5S or Samsung Galaxy S3. And I can hear audio over the iPad, but no video. All devices connected via USB.

I bought a USB-to-RCA adapter off Amazon but it didn't work.

I just don't think BMW put a lot of thought into RSE, there are so many ways it could be improved. For instance, it would be great if it supported mirroring so I could stream Netflix via my phone.

Pairing the headphones wasn't bad. The main thing to keep in mind is that you have the right or left side selected correctly in the menu when pairing them.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

This thread is really making me think that I should skip on the RSE when ordering our X5 35d in the near future. Those that have it, would you order it again? We have a 2 yr old and are planning to have another little one very soon. He loves to watch movies on the iPad Mini and Air we have at home, but I would rather him not have the screen so close to his eyes, as well as the ability to just pop in a dvd to play the movie using the RSE. I am a bit worried that he may kick the RSE screen given it is not mounted up higher in the headrests, as he sometimes throws a tantrum when trying to get him in the car seat. I have thought about just using the iPad holders, but from what I know the BMW one is not compatible with the iPad Air or Mini. Any input appreciated!
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Propofoln
Speedster
Rep

I figured out the pairing. BMW doesn't give out much information about what wireless headphones it supports. Anyway....

PunjabiM3- once you figure out the nuances of the RSE, it is acceptable. I can play 2 different movies now, one using a USB stick plugged in and one using the rear DVD slot by the headphone controls. The factory headphones are nice, albeit expensive. You can find them for $130 each online. The menu's are difficult with the remote for a <9 year old kid to scroll through, but I just out on a movie and it automatically starts again in the car once loaded. It takes a day of two to figure out, but having 2 fixed screens is a life saver for traveling with young kids. I would recommend it, but like the old system better. I will say, I love having the USB port now in the rear to load a bunch of movies stored on the USB stick. Works great
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
gordon590
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Black X6

X6 Rrear DVD

I have a 2008 X6 with a factory rear DVD. And I have been unable to get it to work. I have enabled it through the IDrive but it keeps saying that it can not read the CD. Any help
Appreciate 0