BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

does sport mode block autostart/stop?

i've noticed that putting it in sport constantly brings up the crossed out A icon on the dash. Is that permanent, or is it looking for some more stringent conditions to activate?

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
i've noticed that putting it in sport constantly brings up the crossed out A icon on the dash. Is that permanent, or is it looking for some more stringent conditions to activate?
Permanent. Sport mode disables Auto Start/Stop. Eco Pro promotes Auto Start/Stop. Comfort mode is balanced, you never know when it will stop and when it won't..
      12-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

So.. are there numbers out there on the actual impact of these settings? wondering if any of that matters.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

I'm running a comparo... finished one tank with it enabled and in comfort mode. Going to do so one or two more tanks and then switch to it disabled. Will see what the delta is in terms of MPG.

Are there any long term side effects of the constant start/stop? That's the real question for me. Sorta like the light bulb analogy. Bulbs usually burn out when powering on vs wearing out from being left on for long periods of time. Simplistic analogy, but you get the idea.

I have figured out that turning the steering wheel also starts the car up. Was orig just using the brake pedal.
      12-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
kolosy
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, I think about that too. I'm sure BMW over-engineered for it, but I have to wonder what the impact on the electrical system and starter motor is long-term.

Would love to see your results when you get them.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

That was my concern also...but my dealer said "it is engineered to start-stop as many times as it's required...but...you never know
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
..... I'm sure BMW over-engineered for it, but I have to wonder what the impact on the electrical system and starter motor is long-term.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinBimmer View Post
That was my concern also...but my dealer said "it is engineered to start-stop as many times as it's required...but...you never know
Imagine how much longer it will last if we don't use it at all
      12-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

If you want your engine to last, don't use it. If you are stuck in traffic all day, it's useful.
      12-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I try not to come to a full stop if I see "DONT WALK" blinking, it requires precision and sometimes I fail, but sometimes I am able to keep the X5 at a full stop without activating the Auto Stop, I wish they made it so that it would shut off the engine if you completely pressed on the brake, because it really makes me feel like I am hurting the BMW when I come to a stop and it turns green 3 seconds later and it has to cycle the starter. Then same thing couple of blocks down the road again. So I end up turning it off if I am driving in midtown or among central park west where lights are weirdly timed.

Also I think it should not stop when you have your signal on. I think It doesn't activate if you have your wheels turned one way or the other, as for the fuel consumption, I think Eco Pro helps a lot more than Auto Start/Stop.

Auto S/S is a nice option to show off, however I am sure it still impacts the mpg.
I don't think it's going to be easy to compare results since everyone drives differently.
      12-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Basically everything Hyde just said!
I'm not trying to save fuel or the motor, otherwise I'd run in Eco Pro mode all the time. Just trying to see if there's a noticeable difference after a few full tanks (to normalize the results somewhat). Most likely there won't be and I'll just leave it off permanently. Already coded it to remember the setting as well.

I try to modulate when it kicks in as well because I've gotten caught where I was waiting to turn left and a nice driver in the oncoming lane paused and waved me by. That couple seconds of no power steering and engine kicking in caused him to give me a "WTF are you doing? I'm trying to be nice! Turn already!" look.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #11
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
I try to modulate when it kicks in as well because I've gotten caught where I was waiting to turn left and a nice driver in the oncoming lane paused and waved me by. That couple seconds of no power steering and engine kicking in caused him to give me a "WTF are you doing? I'm trying to be nice! Turn already!" look.
This has never happened to me, but yeah I know what you mean, usually I keep the wheel cracked one way to prevent engine from shutting off. I didn't check but tilting the shifter may also prevent auto-off. I didn't check that, though.

I understand you are testing for your particular driving experience to see how it is ON vs OFF with couple of tanks in between. I am curious to see the results too. I also wonder how accurate + 4 miles etc info is when you drive in Eco Pro. PS: I kind of like Eco Pro on flowing highway, it has a really nice coast to it, and I love seeing those + Miles rack up, sort of like a game. I think BMW should give us a candy or cake or something for most miles driven in Eco Pro. I guess not BMW but I can see something like Lexus or Subaru do this with their rides. Maybe we'll see it in eDrive series?