BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Gremlin Bulb Error CC-ID 381

So about a month ago my car started throwing the gremlin bulb error CC-ID 381 on start up. Ive done some research including a thread here on 1addicts but still have not found which light is throwing the error. Ive checked out all my lights and nothing is out, and all my bulbs are factory (The only ones I cant check is brake force/rear fogs since I don't have the euro light switch)

At first the error came on every 3 or 4 times when I started the car but now it's coming up every single time at start up and the additional chime from this error atop off the annoyingly impatient key and seatbelt gongs and chimes is starting to drive me nuts!

My car is still under CPO warranty and has the extended maintenance plan, should I just call up the dealer and complain about this error to have them fix it?

Thanks guys

Last edited by BigRussia; 01-02-2015 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I used to be married to a girl who drove a 2002 X5. Same behavior... solved by periodically removing the bulbs and applying a little contact cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
I used to be married to a girl who drove a 2002 X5. Same behavior... solved by periodically removing the bulbs and applying a little contact cleaner.
I saw that suggested in one the many threads I read through during my research, but the thing is I don't know which bulb it would be...

In the other threads some people say turn signals, or brake force/rear fogs, or even the side markers, which one would it be?
      01-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
I saw that suggested in one the many threads I read through during my research, but the thing is I don't know which bulb it would be...

In the other threads some people say turn signals, or brake force/rear fogs, or even the side markers, which one would it be?
Huh... The Google finds this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795084
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
So about a month ago my car started throwing the gremlin bulb error CC-ID 381 on start up.
CC-ID 381 is a defective RIGHT side turn signal bulb. Check your front and rear bulbs on that side. You can get the code for a bad bulb - way before that bulb blows out.

http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes.html
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
CC-ID 381 is a defective RIGHT side turn signal bulb. Check your front and rear bulbs on that side. You can get the code for a bad bulb - way before that bulb blows out.

http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes.html
Ah ok, now by right side turn signal do you mean it can be any of the 3? (front, sidemarker, rear) Or do you mean a specific one? Just want to confirm before I go pulling out all 3 especially since the sidemarker looks to be a huge pain to get to lol.

And lastly if I still can't pinpoint or resolve this issue myself, can I tell the dealer to fix it without charging since my car is still under CPO warranty?
      01-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok, now by right side turn signal do you mean it can be any of the 3? (front, sidemarker, rear) Or do you mean a specific one? Just want to confirm before I go pulling out all 3 especially since the sidemarker looks to be a huge pain to get to lol.

And lastly if I still can't pinpoint or resolve this issue myself, can I get the dealer to fix it without charging since my car is still under CPO warranty?
Can I get a little insight on those two questions? lol thanks guys!
      01-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

So in true gremlin fashion, last week I noticed the bulb error on start up had gone away on its own after coming on nearly every time. I figured that was it but fast forward to yesterday and its back again and coming on every time I turn on the car just like before...this is really frustrating, what bulb should I pull out and examine first?
      01-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia
So in true gremlin fashion, last week I noticed the bulb error on start up had gone away on its own after coming on nearly every time. I figured that was it but fast forward to yesterday and its back again and coming on every time I turn on the car just like before...this is really frustrating, what bulb should I pull out and examine first?
I was getting a lightbulb warning off and on but couldn't find a single thing wrong. Finally it came on solid every time I started the car which I took to mean the bulb had finally died. Still could not find anything wrong.

One day I was backing out of my driveway at night and my neighbour told me one of my rear reversing lights were off. Yes there are some lights on the rear of the car that are only activated when reversing! You can't see this in the car without the aid of a camera or mirror or with a second person outside.

Have you had someone outside of the car take a look (from a safe vantage point of course) while you've had the car in reverse?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I was getting a lightbulb warning off and on but couldn't find a single thing wrong. Finally it came on solid every time I started the car which I took to mean the bulb had finally died. Still could not find anything wrong.

One day I was backing out of my driveway at night and my neighbour told me one of my rear reversing lights were on. Yes there are some lights on the rear of the car that are only activated when reversing! You can't see this in the car without the aid of a camera or mirror or with a second person outside.

Have you had someone outside of the car take a look (from a safe vantage point of course) while you've had the car in reverse?
Interesting, did you get to replace that bulb that was out and if so did the error finally go away? I'll try what you suggested and have someone check out the car while I reverse but the thing with my error code (CC-ID 381) is that is seems to be turn signal related, and all 6 (front, side, and rear) on my car light up fine
      01-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post

One day I was backing out of my driveway at night and my neighbour told me one of my rear reversing lights were on. Yes there are some lights on the rear of the car that are only activated when reversing! You can't see this in the car without the aid of a camera or mirror or with a second person outside.

Interesting, did you get to replace that bulb that was out and if so did the error finally go away? I'll try what you suggested and have someone check out the car while I reverse but the thing with my error code (CC-ID 381) is that is seems to be turn signal related, and all 6 (front, side, and rear) on my car light up fine
The warning light totally went away and it was an easy replacement through the trunk if I remember correectly. And for some reason I too also thought it was the turn signal lights but they all checked out fine.

On my 6SPD manual these lights in question come on as soon as I shift into reverse.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
I started that thread. As stated, for me 381 was a short circuit in one of the HID enclosures.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
I started that thread. As stated, for me 381 was a short circuit in one of the HID enclosures.
Yeah during my initial research when the error first came up I ran into your thread, and seeing that your dealer replaced the entire headlight assembly is whats making me want to just take the car in to the local dealer and have them deal with this error. After all my car is CPO but I only have 5 months of warranty coverage left and since Ive bought my car I haven't had anything replaced under the warranty that I paid a premium on the car for.
      02-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #14
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

I just started getting the bulb indicator on mine recently, but it doesn't give any Code though. I checked the turn signal bulbs (sidemarkers as well), HID, brake lights and all seem to be working. Am i going to have to head to dealer for them to see what might be going on?
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro2296 View Post
I just started getting the bulb indicator on mine recently, but it doesn't give any Code though. I checked the turn signal bulbs (sidemarkers as well), HID, brake lights and all seem to be working. Am i going to have to head to dealer for them to see what might be going on?
Hold down the BC button at the end of the turn signal stalk for the code to display.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #16
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hold down the BC button at the end of the turn signal stalk for the code to display.
Ah ok, let me try that and see what i get. Thanks Dackelone!
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am getting the CC-ID 41 error, but not finding any information on that code. Anyone know which light bulb it is referring to?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well i was able to find out more info. I am actually getting CC-ID 378 the 41 is for service that is due. Here is a great document that references many errors or can use the following link as well: http://www.endtuning.com/ccidcodes/
Attached Images
File Type: pdf checkcontrol.pdf (339.6 KB, 161 views)
Appreciate 0