BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Borla Cat Back

Who has the best deals on a Borla Touring cat back for an E92? Most prices are around $1800 for the Touring where the S-Type goes for $1400. You'd think the Touring would be less expensive.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Rumble View Post
Who has the best deals on a Borla Touring cat back for an E92? Most prices are around $1800 for the Touring where the S-Type goes for $1400. You'd think the Touring would be less expensive.

Those prices aren't bad ...

(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

... for a nice rumble.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
I have the best deal. Free!

By winning the last SoCal Euro drag event with the quickest ET, I won a Borla exhaust for any model car.

Haven't decided what car I want it for.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

sometimes the touring is more money because it needs to be quieter, quieter means it might need more materials to make. just a thought. the louder systems are pretty much straight through.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Quote:

Why the touring as opposed to the ATAK? Just curious. I have the ATAK and it sounds nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpunisherx View Post
Why the touring as opposed to the ATAK? Just curious. I have the ATAK and it sounds nice.
I'm trying to avoid the dreaded "Drone".
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
then you should buy a sport muffler and it you want it louder run an xpipe/test pipe setup. Buy mine!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #8
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
There were a couple of threads on here that said the other two droned worse than the ATAK, and sounded worse. I admit that I don't know first hand as I have only heard the ATAK.

I will also admit that the system does drone some between 2k - 3k RPMs. But admittedly I love the note of the exhaust...absolutely intoxicating!!

On the highway, and once at speed, the purr is mellow.

Whatever you choose I am sure you will love it. When you get the system on, let us know how you like it!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #9
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

I have an attak rear section on one of my cars, very nice sound with hardly any drone. Never paired it to anything other than the stock catback but in that configuration it's how the M 3 should have came in my opinion. It's loud on the cold start up but then quickly changes tone to where it's hardly louder than stock at idle and just a little more aggressive sounding during normal driving. But if you put your foot down the thing sounds unreal. Really a great muffler
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
I have an attak rear section on one of my cars, very nice sound with hardly any drone. Never paired it to anything other than the stock catback but in that configuration it's how the M 3 should have came in my opinion. It's loud on the cold start up but then quickly changes tone to where it's hardly louder than stock at idle and just a little more aggressive sounding during normal driving. But if you put your foot down the thing sounds unreal. Really a great muffler
...great muffler indeed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpunisherx View Post
...great muffler indeed.
I had one for awhile. It doesn't drone which is pretty amazing for a race exhaust. Nice indeed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #12
Shartibartfast
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

I've had the ATAK now for about 2 weeks and wanted to jump in here to report on drone. It DOES drone, and it does it at roughly the same rpms as other exhausts, around 2800-3200 rpm. The drone is loud, but not at all deafening like the Borla is for the Cayman at around 2800 rpm.

However, the drone is very unusual in that it is high pitched and not at all like the buzzing, booming, thrumming noise you hear in other cars. Instead, it's a very sweet, smooth sound with no V8 rumble, more like a melodic version of a Ferrari. It seems to be quite close to A below middle C (yes, not kidding, it's that high). But it isn't quiet right at that spot, and so you definitely notice it under relatively modest acceleration (or when going up a hill). But since it seems to peak at 3000 rpm or so, it poses no practical threat except if you want to do 70 mph in 6th gear (6-speed here). At any other speed it can easily be avoided by shifting up.

Anyway, I consider it one of the best things about the ATAK since I often run from 2500 to 3500 rpm between shifts, exciting the drone resonance and getting that sweet sound briefly before every upshift. It sounds SO exotic and at such reasonable rpms. But I wouldn't want to cruise at 3000 rpm on the freeway.

In short, this is my favorite exhaust sound ever and partly because it drones at the right spot.

Unfortunately, I hate the Borla tips. I don't understand the appeal of slant tips and double walls; I think the stock tips look better. Also, on my exhaust, the right tip on the driver's side sticks out about 5 mm too far. So I'll be upgrading to straight cut, single wall, black tips as soon as I can find some with 2" inlets.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 03:08 AM   #13
REV1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

^

I don't know if any of there are good or not but they may have some tips..

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...t-Tips_c12.htm

Please let me know if you find anything. I'm going to be ordering a Borla Atak very soon and would be interested in upgrading tips too.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 03:39 AM   #14
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
video available here for my M3 with Borla Atak rear section coupled with test pipes and aftermarket x pipe
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 05:45 AM   #15
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

^

I just put the Borla catless X-pipe on mine with the ATAK rear section I already had on it. The ///M sounds NASTY!!! I'm loving it. And honestly the drone is less now than with the cats in. Lovin'it!
      02-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #16
Ra_
EuroCar Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY08 E90 M3 JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shartibartfast View Post
I've had the ATAK now for about 2 weeks and wanted to jump in here to report on drone. It DOES drone, and it does it at roughly the same rpms as other exhausts, around 2800-3200 rpm. The drone is loud, but not at all deafening like the Borla is for the Cayman at around 2800 rpm.

However, the drone is very unusual in that it is high pitched and not at all like the buzzing, booming, thrumming noise you hear in other cars. Instead, it's a very sweet, smooth sound with no V8 rumble, more like a melodic version of a Ferrari. It seems to be quite close to A below middle C (yes, not kidding, it's that high). But it isn't quiet right at that spot, and so you definitely notice it under relatively modest acceleration (or when going up a hill). But since it seems to peak at 3000 rpm or so, it poses no practical threat except if you want to do 70 mph in 6th gear (6-speed here). At any other speed it can easily be avoided by shifting up.

Anyway, I consider it one of the best things about the ATAK since I often run from 2500 to 3500 rpm between shifts, exciting the drone resonance and getting that sweet sound briefly before every upshift. It sounds SO exotic and at such reasonable rpms. But I wouldn't want to cruise at 3000 rpm on the freeway.

In short, this is my favorite exhaust sound ever and partly because it drones at the right spot.

Unfortunately, I hate the Borla tips. I don't understand the appeal of slant tips and double walls; I think the stock tips look better. Also, on my exhaust, the right tip on the driver's side sticks out about 5 mm too far. So I'll be upgrading to straight cut, single wall, black tips as soon as I can find some with 2" inlets.
Thanks for the in depth description. From what I've read and video clips that I've heard, the ATAK has a deep rumble, akin to an American v8 sound, throaty, and burbly. Would you say that this is an accurate description?
      02-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #17
Shartibartfast
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_ View Post
Thanks for the in depth description. From what I've read and video clips that I've heard, the ATAK has a deep rumble, akin to an American v8 sound, throaty, and burbly. Would you say that this is an accurate description?
I've not heard an American V8 sound like this. The Borla takes away a lot of the bass rumble that sounds like a V8. To my ears, a Stingray at redline sounds similar to an M3 at 2700 rpm.

Compare apples to apples (although the Stingray ATAK has sound valves!):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfbkapofNzA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRt3FOurLyU
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #18
Shartibartfast
Enlisted Member
Rep

I know this is probably too little too late, but I did finally make a recording of the Borla ATAK with the windows down. It was out in the desert, so no walls or curbs to reflect the noise back at the car (thus a bit quieter than in town). Also around 75 F outside, and the warmer air definitely makes it quieter.

I've got some recordings of drone too, but making a recording made me realize how quiet the drone is. Anyway, I'll post those soon.

The pic is of my old SG E92 which also used to have this same Borla; the sound is actually from my current 2011 ZCP E92 (AW).

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #19
RobertEvans
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I have the ATAK and love it. Minimal drone around 2800-3000ish RPM but not bad at all (the wife doesn't even notice). I get nothing but complements on it. Also for what its worth, when i was trying to decide between the ATAK and s-type i called borla for some advice and was told that they are both nearly identical in "volume", but have different exhaust notes.
      06-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #20
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertEvans View Post
I have the ATAK and love it. Minimal drone around 2800-3000ish RPM but not bad at all (the wife doesn't even notice). I get nothing but complements on it. Also for what its worth, when i was trying to decide between the ATAK and s-type i called borla for some advice and was told that they are both nearly identical in "volume", but have different exhaust notes.
that is really good to know regarding the volume. if that's the case is rather have the ATAK with the burly rumble.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
Ale93m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: alpine white e93 m3

I'm going to order one soon as well. Not sure why someone would get the s or the touring over the Atak.
Appreciate 0