Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

I was a little premature about my initial M4 to M6 comparison

Disclaimer: all of the following driving impressions were experienced at dead of the night deserted airport roads (except for the occasional yellow taxi that only perceived me as a black blur in his moment of peripheral vision)

Initially I had said:

Handling: "....... The 6 has a big moment of inertia based on its mass and is not as apt to break away with throttle for correction and has to be thrown into it a little while staying above 3K rpm's else it will plow its way and end up tracking very wide. But the competition package is supposed to be more responsive than the base 6M; I'll report back any findings as I get more into the performance of this beast.

Throttle response: where the 4 has essentially dialed out all essence of lag and then rockets onward as one would expect; the 6 likes to take a huge gulp of air and then holding on tightly is probably a good idea. 575 hp results in a shockingly smooth and steady launch to escape velocity and its cabin quietness fools one into thinking that you're going slower than the speedo indicates. Triple digits are where this thing wants to cruise with little or no effort, seemingly hugging the road as the aerodynamics come into play......."

Well...I was sorely mistaken!!

After putting the M6 into full M mode and all nanny's in off position, I decided to have a little fun and see what this thing could do.

Holy mother F'er!! Throwing it into a relatively high speed sweeper in the numerous outer regions and relatively deserted wide and slightly cambered entry and exit clover leaf ramps of JFK airport at 3 am. (I'm a night owl and tend to play when all else is deserted for safety!); I was able to induce beautifully throttle controlled drifts and exit corrections. The mass of the 6 vs the 4 actually minimized the snap opposite reactions that I'd noticed in the 4. Slip angle corrections under the gentle prod of the gas pedal were reliably constant and reproducible.

Putting the TC back on then resulted in glued to the road handling at speeds I've exceeded only on my Ducati in full knee dragging lean.

The balance of the competition package suspension was extremely stable and the feedback was not as numb as previously thought. The signals of break away are there as in the 4, but the magnitude of the swing of the rear must be anticipated else one can get into serious trouble in a hurry.

Very impressive. I had thought this merely a gentleman's street rod, but now cannot wait to take it on the track this spring.

Sorry if this is mainly 6 related but I thought I'd share it with respect to the 4 experiences.

(Clearly I need to get back to racing very soon!)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

LOL. and trust me this is just the beginning... have some seat time and let your body be adapted to this power and you feel more confidence, then you can't get rid of this monster
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Makes me wish I could afford a 911 and go on the board with the grown ups.
And I'm not so sure the people in the taxis felt it was a good time for you to be doing that stuff. Hope the baby in the back seat slept through it ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Lemme get a ride broooooooo
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

WOW - people here do it yet chastise the one who admits it. Or people here chastises someone who drives his car at its near potential while they themselves only drive their $75K, 425 hp car at 1/4 its potential.

Some here remind me of the old farts in the Corvette and Porsche clubs. They meet on a Saturday for a drive up to the mountains and yet not one of them is willing to drive faster than 3 mph UNDER the speed limit.

No one here was with the OP when he drove that night just as no one has been with you when you did that insanely fast and stupidly unsafe acceleration onto the freeway (not your definition but the old man in Vette/Porsche who saw you). So lighten up Francis and read what the OP wrote about the comparison and and let your own subjective perception of reality go.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr racer View Post

Very impressive. I had thought this merely a gentleman's street rod, but now cannot wait to take it on the track this spring.

Sorry if this is mainly 6 related but I thought I'd share it with respect to the 4 experiences.

As a performance driver, you know that you are only driving it 7-8 / 10 on the road. When you get it on track, all that blubber will reveal itself and the car will turn into a tire-eating pig.

Keep it away from the track and keep to terrorizing TSA agents around JFK. Do a pass through LaGuardia for me while your'e at it, I hate that f**king place.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Quote:

As a performance driver, you know that you are only driving it 7-8 / 10 on the road. When you get it on track, all that blubber will reveal itself and the car will turn into a tire-eating pig.

Keep it away from the track and keep to terrorizing TSA agents around JFK. Do a pass through LaGuardia for me while your'e at it, I hate that f**king place.
It's heavy but the front suspension is actually better than the M3/4's as it is an uneven A arm and builds camber well on loading . I ran my home track Roebling Road which is a constant turning technical track in my CP m6 and didn't destroy my front stock PSS tire like an M3 driver did recently and we were running the same times despite my day being 95 degrees in August .....
I was actually surprised at how well it did in the turns and I usually track a prepped Z4M track car .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross61 View Post
WOW - people here do it yet chastise the one who admits it. Or people here chastises someone who drives his car at its near potential while they themselves only drive their $75K, 425 hp car at 1/4 its potential.

Some here remind me of the old farts in the Corvette and Porsche clubs. They meet on a Saturday for a drive up to the mountains and yet not one of them is willing to drive faster than 3 mph UNDER the speed limit.

No one here was with the OP when he drove that night just as no one has been with you when you did that insanely fast and stupidly unsafe acceleration onto the freeway (not your definition but the old man in Vette/Porsche who saw you). So lighten up Francis and read what the OP wrote about the comparison and and let your own subjective perception of reality go.
Where did this come from???? No one had said anything negative - not even your old farts in the Porsche and Corvette clubs. The only negative post was yours
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Where did this come from???? No one had said anything negative - not even your old farts in the Porsche and Corvette clubs. The only negative post was yours
Lmao I was wondering the same thing. Dude went off on nobody lol
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Thanks for the feedback; M6 is def a beast, and I feel like the GC is the sexiest model BMW is putting out right now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM3 View Post

you are a little late to the party. Someone made a couple comments about an earlier thread from OP, and the OP went bananas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

It's always nice when someone find "their" car. Congrats!

I think you understand though that many of us here with F8Xs don't like the size and weight of the F1Xs but they are gorgeous cars. Just not "our" type of car. Many of us have ample seat time in both. Personally my preference lies with smaller cars than the F8X not bigger but I have kids to shuttle so F80 it is .

Last edited by solstice; 02-07-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Maybe he wants to prevent /predict since this is F8x forum and lots of comments such as " heavy, pig, big, boat, lazy,...etc" might be on the way
But seriously, M6 is a well balanced car... sometimes scary and you will be in serious trouble if you don't respect that huge torque/power , but still controllable if you pay attention to the limits and laws of physic
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

M6 is a big car but nobody told it that fact so it just goes on acting like a badass. I'm glad its in GT3. gonna be an exciting race season!
      02-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
M6 is a big car but nobody told it that fact so it just goes on acting like a badass. I'm glad its in GT3. gonna be an exciting race season!
An M6 GT3 that is ~600 lbs lighter than your regular US spec. M4 ( 2900 lbs vs. 3500 lbs )...now that's pretty badass
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
An M6 GT3 that is ~600 lbs lighter than your regular US spec. M4 ( 2900 lbs vs. 3500 lbs )...now that's pretty badass
Indeed ~700 lb with ~20% more power
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #16
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
okay now lets not go there. we shall see what the M4 GT2 is going to look like
      02-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Quote:

It's heavy but the front suspension is actually better than the M3/4's as it is an uneven A arm and builds camber well on loading . I ran my home track Roebling Road which is a constant turning technical track in my CP m6 and didn't destroy my front stock PSS tire like an M3 driver did recently and we were running the same times despite my day being 95 degrees in August .....
I was actually surprised at how well it did in the turns and I usually track a prepped Z4M track car .
Hahaha! Man I love every single one of
Your post.

They look something like this: "the M6 is better that the M4 because it has a TTV8 and it has 560hp!, the M6 is faster than the M3/M4 to 155mph! The M6 is longer than the M4!, the M6 is better than the M4! The M6 is faster!"

Hahaha the M4 wasnt made to compete with the M6, they are both fantastic cars in their own class.
      02-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #18
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3 View Post
Your post.

They look something like this: "the M6 is better that the M4 because it has a TTV8 and it has 560hp!, the M6 is faster than the M3/M4 to 155mph! The M6 is longer than the M4!, the M6 is better than the M4! The M6 is faster!"

Hahaha the M4 wasnt made to compete with the M6, they are both fantastic cars in their own class.
LOL....
and you guys posts:
M6 is big, M6 is pig, M6 is Tank, M6 is heavy, M6 is barge, M6 is boat, M6 is fat ... even if M4 and M6 were at the same price point, I would pick M4... (really??)
M6 is big, M6 is pig, M6 is Tank, M6 is heavy, M6 is barge, M6 is boat,...

But I agree with you that " the M4 wasnt made to compete with the M6, they are both fantastic cars in their own class"
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #19
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3 View Post
Your post.

LOL....
and you guys posts:
M6 is big, M6 is pig, M6 is Tank, M6 is heavy, M6 is barge, M6 is boat, M6 is fat ... even if M4 and M6 were at the same price point, I would pick M4... (really??)
M6 is big, M6 is pig, M6 is Tank, M6 is heavy, M6 is barge, M6 is boat,...

But I agree with you that " the M4 wasnt made to compete with the M6, they are both fantastic cars in their own class"
LOL

Very true, a lot of guys on here do that. I personally love the M6. Matter fact will def be getting the next gen. Or maybe even one after my M4 lease is up. Like I said they are different cars but both great.
      02-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #20
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
LOL. Maybe he wants to prevent /predict since this is F8x forum and lots of comments such as " heavy, pig, big, boat, lazy,...etc" might be on the way
Their posts are gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #22
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

M6 is pig...? :

Apologies, I couldn't resist!!! But honestly all cars are pigs when you've driven an Elise

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0