BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

MPE + MS Intake Review

Since these forums were helpful in my decision to buy an intake, I thought I would post my results.

I have the MPE on the car already. I like, not love, the MPE and wish it was louder. I love the intake noise, so debated if $400 plus install was worth it. This decision is 100% based on sound, I'm not expecting any power gains and honestly couldn't tell you if it makes more power. But it sure sounds like it does

Picked up the MS Intake for $400 plus $75 install. Worth it for $500?

Yes!

First, the "bad". You will not hear much of a difference in the cabin with "normal" driving conditions. Also, you need to drive the car hard to get the full benefit which means speeding risk Getting this installed in winter months, it wasn't doing much for me. Until the weather got warmer and I could go on some spirited drives....

"good" - when you're on it, get over 4k RPM, the intake just ripppps. Its a slightly different "tune" than the stock intake (a little deeper?) but sounds good none the less. I would say it amplifies the intake sound about 30% in hard driving, but 50%'ish if you're pushing hard.

My favorite is to keep the windows up, open the sunroof, on a sunny but cool morning. Everything is louder under the hood from 4k to 8k. Very few cars available can replicate this sound. I could listen to it all day. I couldn't imagine how good it sounds from the outside

The #1 reason I have this car is for the engine power / flexibility / sound and intake induction noise. So for me dropping $500 to enjoy that more it was worth it.

Plus I'll probably take it off when I sell, and get a couple hundred back.

I'm still searching for ways to increase the sound. In my M6 I had an X-Pipe plus exhaust which was perfect. Any tips for the M3 w/ MPE?

Hope this helps anybody who is deciding.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
bakaneul
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3
Since these forums were helpful in my decision to buy an intake, I thought I would post my results.

I have the MPE on the car already. I like, not love, the MPE and wish it was louder. I love the intake noise, so debated if $400 plus install was worth it. This decision is 100% based on sound, I'm not expecting any power gains and honestly couldn't tell you if it makes more power. But it sure sounds like it does

Picked up the MS Intake for $400 plus $75 install. Worth it for $500?

Yes!

First, the "bad". You will not hear much of a difference in the cabin with "normal" driving conditions. Also, you need to drive the car hard to get the full benefit which means speeding risk Getting this installed in winter months, it wasn't doing much for me. Until the weather got warmer and I could go on some spirited drives....

"good" - when you're on it, get over 4k RPM, the intake just ripppps. Its a slightly different "tune" than the stock intake (a little deeper?) but sounds good none the less. I would say it amplifies the intake sound about 30% in hard driving, but 50%'ish if you're pushing hard.

My favorite is to keep the windows up, open the sunroof, on a sunny but cool morning. Everything is louder under the hood from 4k to 8k. Very few cars available can replicate this sound. I could listen to it all day. I couldn't imagine how good it sounds from the outside

The #1 reason I have this car is for the engine power / flexibility / sound and intake induction noise. So for me dropping $500 to enjoy that more it was worth it.

Plus I'll probably take it off when I sell, and get a couple hundred back.

I'm still searching for ways to increase the sound. In my M6 I had an X-Pipe plus exhaust which was perfect. Any tips for the M3 w/ MPE?

Hope this helps anybody who is deciding.
If you would have to keep your MPE in your exhaust setup, spend another 4-500 bucks and get a set of test pipes which will not only increase your current exhaust sound, it also gets significant power gain. I have MPE paired with Evolve test pipes plus Dinan intake and I am happy with the sound it makes
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mint View Post
If you would have to keep your MPE in your exhaust setup, spend another 4-500 bucks and get a set of test pipes which will not only increase your current exhaust sound, it also gets significant power gain. I have MPE paired with Evolve test pipes plus Dinan intake and I am happy with the sound it makes
We should meet up so I can hear the test pipes, I'm afraid they might be too loud.

Do you have to do anything special for the annual emissions inspection?

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
bakaneul
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojorisinM3
Quote:
We should meet up so I can hear the test pipes, I'm afraid they might be too loud.

Do you have to do anything special for the annual emissions inspection?
Yeah definitely.

There's going to be a huge car meet this coming Saturday in Mt. Juliet that my friend and I are attending. We could meet there if you can come also.

Surprisingly though, I thought adding these test pipes will be too loud but not really. Especially when I am driving in city, it is pretty hard for me to notice any difference. It is just about right and frankly, I wish it was a bit louder

Any tune will remove cel which Im good to go, at least within Tennessee
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Post vids!
Appreciate 0