BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Header install

Can someone elaborate on this install? Do the headers come out with the motor in the car? What accessories need to come off as well?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

M3Aviator, The install involves lowering the subframe. Engine is supported from the top. There is absolutely no need to remove the engine. You don't have to remove the subframe altogether either. It needs to be lowered just enough to remove the stock manifolds. The heat shields are the only thing we recommend deleting. They are no longer needed and having them out of the way makes bolt access far easier. The stock studs and nuts can also be reused. Please feel free to PM me a contact number and I'll call you with all the details. If it's easier you can reach me at 631-608-1986. Thank you.

Nick
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick ARH View Post
M3Aviator, The install involves lowering the subframe. Engine is supported from the top. There is absolutely no need to remove the engine. You don't have to remove the subframe altogether either. It needs to be lowered just enough to remove the stock manifolds. The heat shields are the only thing we recommend deleting. They are no longer needed and having them out of the way makes bolt access far easier. The stock studs and nuts can also be reused. Please feel free to PM me a contact number and I'll call you with all the details. If it's easier you can reach me at 631-608-1986. Thank you.

Nick

Why are you so quick to say the heat shields can be deleted? Although I really don't see an issue with it, many SC run the filter right over the DS side header and this will create a ton of heatsoak.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
m3aviator
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Thanks nick!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Nick ARH
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Why are you so quick to say the heat shields can be deleted? Although I really don't see an issue with it, many SC run the filter right over the DS side header and this will create a ton of heatsoak.
s85290, the stock manifolds are situated much higher than our long tubes and because of how they were designed the heat shields are required. With our long tubes, supercharged or not, I don't see a reason to reuse them but you could if you just have to have them. I know that both IMG and M33too have removed them and both are supercharged. I think that once you see how our header primaries route in comparison to the original manifolds it'll make a lot more sense.

Nick
Appreciate 0