BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Another Man Down - 2012 E92 DCT with 25k Miles

An engine failure has been reported in the Houston area. Rod and piston shot through oil pan on a 2012 with 25k miles. No additional information available.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Shaan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 / '14 Tundra

would love to know which dealer/shop he's taking it to in the houston area if you find out
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

You should report this to the blown engine registry thread we have here too.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Rod bearing failures are a lot more common than is reported...

Many owners are not on the forums to report the problem and BMW covers many failures under warranty so it is never mentioned.
      05-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #5
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

I know you said "no additional information available"... But if you can find out if there were any warning signs? Typical clicking sound around 2k to 3k rpm when revving the engine? Increased oil consumption etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Without knowing service intervals I think it's useless data.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I don't know the owner nor do I have any information on the vehicle's history. I believe the car is located at Advantage BMW Midtown. The service department is going through the standard evaluations such as examining the DME to determine if BMW is going to cover the damage. I'll post more info if I get it.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
What's the point of a thread like this?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
M33too
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
spread fear and to reduce the resale value of our vehicles

Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 09:18 PM   #10
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M33too
Quote:
spread fear and to reduce the resale value of our vehicles
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
To draw attention to one's self.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
It gives an opportunity for conspiracy theorists, data falsifiers, non-contributors, and general lowlifes to make fun of other people.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #13
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy
It gives an opportunity for conspiracy theorists, data falsifiers, non-contributors, and general lowlifes to make fun of other people.
So you mock people in your other threads all day, but not the people who post useless information without any facts, personal experience, evidence, relation to the person in question or just the troll du jour? I see where your forum bully priorities are these days.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #14
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Unhappy Wow this sucks a 2012 DCT with only 25k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
An engine failure has been reported in the Houston area. Rod and piston shot through oil pan on a 2012 with 25k miles. No additional information available.
You are correct this was posted on the Eurotic (TM) of Houston facebook.

Quote:
I am going to guess letting us know there is another blown engine with low miles
Attached Images

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #15
Facsombh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post

I am going to guess letting us know there is another blown engine with low miles
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So you mock people in your other threads all day, but not the people who post useless information without any facts, personal experience, evidence, relation to the person in question or just the troll du jour? I see where your forum bully priorities are these days.
I guess the shoe must have fit and you thought I was talking about you. It was completely coincidental! LOL.

Of your 31 rep points, 23 of them came from doing nothing more than making 2300 posts. That means only eight of them came from people going out of their way to appreciate one of your 2300 posts. That kind of speaks for the quality of the contributions and what others think. It's ashamed you never use your expertise as a BMW mechanic to help people on the forum. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person who would appreciate if you used your expertise for some good.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #17
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post

It's too late for facts Shady, the trolls shot their wad in less than four hours of thread life.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #18
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
It's too late for facts Shady, the trolls shot their wad in less than four hours of thread life.
Oh well I tried

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #19
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Quote:
I guess the shoe must have fit and you thought I was talking about you. It was completely coincidental! LOL.

Of your 31 rep points, 23 of them came from doing nothing more than making 2300 posts. That means only eight of them came from people going out of their way to appreciate one of your 2300 posts. That kind of speaks for the quality of the contributions and what others think. It's ashamed you never use your expertise as a BMW mechanic to help people on the forum. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person who would appreciate if you used your expertise for some good.
Yet another useless forum fact, I'll be sure to store it in my Rolodex. Thank you regular guy for that tidbit of useless information. This is coming from the resident forum troll himself, who probably has the current record for the most bans associated to a single forum user? Please tell the world how we can help the unfortunate member of our society whom has suffered a loss and is either not a member, or has chosen to remain anonymous for some reason, how we can help. I'm happy to utilize my 15+ years as a master BMW technician (or rather mechanic as you so eloquently put it) to do so. Or perhaps you can utilize your lack of experience in this field to deduce the failure in this engine without a single shred of information. For the record here, it was you that took the bait. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:49 PM   #20
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yet another useless forum fact, I'll be sure to store it in my Rolodex. Thank you regular guy for that tidbit of useless information. This is coming from the resident forum troll himself, who probably has the current record for the most bans associated to a single forum user?
You might want to check some real facts because these ones sound like useless forum facts. I only recall being banned a single time...ever. Let me know if you can find any more. Ironic, of the three posts deleted the day I got banned, one of them was for agreeing with you. I always thought that was kind of funny.

Quote:
Please tell the world how we can help the unfortunate member of our society whom has suffered a loss and is either not a member, or has chosen to remain anonymous for some reason, how we can help. I'm happy to utilize my 15+ years as a master BMW technician (or rather mechanic as you so eloquently put it) to do so. Or perhaps you can utilize your lack of experience in this field to deduce the failure in this engine without a single shred of information. For the record here, it was you that took the bait. Cheers.
I always think it's better to lead by example. So let me tell you how I help people. I get approached by a small, but steady stream of people for help. However it happens, they think I can help and reach out and ask for my phone number or email address. Most of the guys are without a warranty or got shafted by some vendor. Some of them have full custom builds and don't know where to begin to order replacement parts when the vendor won't help them; while others may need somebody to give them a no-BS answer when they get into a jamb. Most of them are looking for rebuilds outside of their normal dealer channels or vendors who already screwed them. Sometimes I have to order them a custom crank, other times, I have to design all the specs for custom connecting rods and custom pistons to match the other custom parts in their engine. Sometimes, it's full custom build and I have to design the specs for the entire rotating assembly down to connecting rod length, piston deck height and dome size to target a specific compression ratio, or block that's been machined with a lower deck. They need somebody who can design the parts to make sure they all work together without crashing into each other, and I'm the who does that for them.

I'm currently working on four engine builds like this, and I just got a call from another guy a few days ago who was in a no-win situation and without his car for 2+ years. But whatever their needs, mostly I help them free of charge just because they need help. Sometimes I arrange to get them spare parts from other blown motors. I tell them exactly what parts they need to order, give them a full parts list to rebuild their motor, tell them where to order for the best price, what they should expect to pay, who can repair their blocks, who's machine shop to trust, who's not to trust, and then I try to point them to a builder in their area I know and trust to do a good job within their budget. I'll even drive their parts between Dinan's machine shop in NorCal to their engine builder in SoCal always free of charge. I've helped guyes out of $2k jambs, and I've helped guys out of $40k jambs.

So you might be surprised that some of these people used to be enemies who started just like you and throwing the same type of BS you do. But guess who they called when their motor blew and they had nowhere else to turn? Some of the guys are well known on the forum but don't want people to know about their troubles; others are lurkers...never posting...but so strange that they all know who to reach out to when their motor blows and they want somebody to help who doesn't have a financial interest in giving them an honest answer.

Since you asked...that's how I do it. It would be great if you could contribute your skill set to this forum instead of this other role. I know I've tried to steer many questions your way, but you never want to help people. It's ashamed...really it is...because you could actually help people if you wanted to.
Appreciate 5
      05-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #21
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
You might want to check some real facts because these ones sound like useless forum facts. I only recall being banned a single time...ever. Let me know if you can find any more. Ironic, of the three posts deleted the day I got banned, one of them was for agreeing with you. I always thought that was kind of funny.

I always think it's better to lead by example. So let me tell you how I help people. I get approached by a small, but steady stream of people for help. However it happens, they think I can help and reach out and ask for my phone number or email address. Most of the guys are without a warranty or got shafted by some vendor. Some of them have full custom builds and don't know where to begin to order replacement parts when the vendor won't help them; while others may need somebody to give them a no-BS answer when they get into a jamb. Most of them are looking for rebuilds outside of their normal dealer channels or vendors who already screwed them. Sometimes I have to order them a custom crank, other times, I have to design all the specs for custom connecting rods and custom pistons to match the other custom parts in their engine. Sometimes, it's full custom build and I have to design the specs for the entire rotating assembly down to connecting rod length, piston deck height and dome size to target a specific compression ratio, or block that's been machined with a lower deck. They need somebody who can design the parts to make sure they all work together without crashing into each other, and I'm the who does that for them.

I'm currently working on four engine builds like this, and I just got a call from another guy a few days ago who was in a no-win situation and without his car for 2+ years. But whatever their needs, mostly I help them free of charge just because they need help. Sometimes I arrange to get them spare parts from other blown motors. I tell them exactly what parts they need to order, give them a full parts list to rebuild their motor, tell them where to order for the best price, what they should expect to pay, who can repair their blocks, who's machine shop to trust, who's not to trust, and then I try to point them to a builder in their area I know and trust to do a good job within their budget. I'll even drive their parts between Dinan's machine shop in NorCal to their engine builder in SoCal always free of charge. I've helped guyes out of $2k jambs, and I've helped guys out of $40k jambs.

So you might be surprised that some of these people used to be enemies who started just like you and throwing the same type of BS you do. But guess who they called when their motor blew and they had nowhere else to turn? Some of the guys are well known on the forum but don't want people to know about their troubles; others are lurkers...never posting...but so strange that they all know who to reach out to when their motor blows and they want somebody to help who doesn't have a financial interest in giving them an honest answer.

Since you asked...that's how I do it. It would be great if you could contribute your skill set to this forum instead of this other role. I know I've tried to steer many questions your way, but you never want to help people. It's ashamed...really it is...because you could actually help people if you wanted to.
I appreciate some of the information that you post from time to time. We all know you spend entirely too much time here, and sometimes it's useful to the community. That being said, it's posts like this and quotes like this that take away from the enjoyment of being an M3 owner. All of this wide spread hysteria about bearings and my car is blowing up suck the fun out of driving the car. Threads like this make me want to sell my because this is all people post about these days, negativity. Totally unrelated to themselves in most cases.

I found your ban warranted, as you became very aggressive towards multiple forum members around that time. I'm sure you're aware that I was also banned at that time. Naturally the admin gave a reason that didn't even apply to any of my posts that day, week or at any time. I chalked it up to experience and won't go down that road again.

By only having 1 ban, I take it you're only referring to this screen name? Note I said a single user, not screen name.

I have helped people in the past and will continue to do so in the future as I see fit. Both in this forum as well as others. I receive PMs constantly from M owners as well as non M owners asking for advise, and I always answer. Rarely do I ever quote my experience with the brand, but people ask me for help anyway. People drive from hours away, past other dealers to see me. These are people whom I have never met or done previous service work for in the past. I even have an S65 in my possession that someone shipped to me from California to inspect that was rebuilt. The owner didn't trust his shop, so he shipped it to me. Am I charging him to tear it down and inspect it? No I am not. Do I have the hours of free time to do this? Absolutely not, but I'll find a way to make it happen. When I go to training in Ontario I've been known to bring tools to work on people's cars that need help reach out to me for assistance. Not everyone considers the forum their life and shows 100% of what they do in a public way. Perhaps you should read each post in a positive way, that may help the quality and intent of your responses moving forward.

I do even recall you asking me for something some time ago, but I didn't have what you required to test fit your dry sump. If I did have a bed plate laying around, I would've shipped it to you. Considering one would only have that from a failed engine of some sort, that's a pretty tough part to have laying around. Given that engines all have cores on them and I'm a dealership that would have to return 100% of its engines as a core. That coupled with the fact that we have not seen a single S65 failure makes it a tough request to fulfill.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #22
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Boy this went downhill fast.

I have direct info on this motor going, but because it is still going through the warranty process, I do not want to interrupt this process. I am actually amazed that Advantage pulled the motor on Monday as it just occurred over the weekend. Advantage must not have much work.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0