BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

06-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
77k miles, what maintence to do to keep it forever

hey all

So as the title suggests, I have an 08 with 124k Km's (about 77k miles) on it. I won't be letting go of it any time soon, with plans to eventually add suspension, engine, and tire upgrades. I also plan to fix the exterior of all the chips paint defects she's received over the years.
A bit of background: I bought this car with pretty much my life savings. It was on the cheaper side for an m3, with various paint chips/ scuffs/ seat wear etc, but I needed an e92 and I haven't regretted my decision yet.
That being said, I have no clue what the previous owner had done as far as preventative maintence, and BMW dosent have much info for me either. So, we get to the question.
What do I do now, and going forward, to be positive I will get years and years of enjoyment out of this thing?
Possible issues I've noticed recently - a bit longer cranking on cold start
- second gear syncros are weak ( I think whoever owned this before me was a bit rough on the trans)
Use: I commute in it every day, autocross as many weekends a year I can, and if I can afford it a track day now and again. I would say it only works hard on weekends.
I have been going through the whole site, from bearings to plugs to everything, and I can't really figure out what are 'must do' items and what are 'maybe do if you have the cash' items.

Thanks all!

K
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

since you said you read lots of stuff on here, i wont mention all the usual suspects... but, in my case, when i bought my used e92 m3 with 65k KM on it, the 2 maintenance items (aside from the usual stuff) that was well worth doing was:

a) my break fluid was toast. all the hydraulics worked good and all, but the mechanics said it was past due to have it changed.

b) i'm 6mt as well, and bmw states that the tranny fluid on these cars (dct and 6mt) is life time. its not. i had them replace it, and noticed a significant improvement in how the transmission felt. unless you do it at a dealer ship OR have access to BMW software.... you can't change "all" of the fluid as quite a bit stays behind the transmission fluid pump. i had them do it twice, with a quick drive between so that in essence we changed 75% of it. i now have access to the BMW software, so next time i can force the pump to turn on with the vehicle off.

oh and last but not least, if it already hasn't been done... see if you can get the DME (main computer that controls the motor) software upgraded to the latest 240E (err... 241E now i guess). theres quite a difference between one of the versions. people have reported improvements in how the vehicle starts with the newer revisions. 2008 canadian, so unless the previous owner(s) had it done, your possibly running one of the first versions of the software.

enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab_of_oppo View Post
hey all

So as the title suggests, I have an 08 with 124k Km's (about 77k miles) on it. I won't be letting go of it any time soon, with plans to eventually add suspension, engine, and tire upgrades. I also plan to fix the exterior of all the chips paint defects she's received over the years.
A bit of background: I bought this car with pretty much my life savings. It was on the cheaper side for an m3, with various paint chips/ scuffs/ seat wear etc, but I needed an e92 and I haven't regretted my decision yet.
That being said, I have no clue what the previous owner had done as far as preventative maintence, and BMW dosent have much info for me either. So, we get to the question.
What do I do now, and going forward, to be positive I will get years and years of enjoyment out of this thing?
Possible issues I've noticed recently - a bit longer cranking on cold start
- second gear syncros are weak ( I think whoever owned this before me was a bit rough on the trans)
Use: I commute in it every day, autocross as many weekends a year I can, and if I can afford it a track day now and again. I would say it only works hard on weekends.
I have been going through the whole site, from bearings to plugs to everything, and I can't really figure out what are 'must do' items and what are 'maybe do if you have the cash' items.

Thanks all!

K
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

Engine and transmission mounts.
Differential bushing (solid version should last forever).
      06-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
since you said you read lots of stuff on here, i wont mention all the usual suspects... but, in my case, when i bought my used e92 m3 with 65k KM on it, the 2 maintenance items (aside from the usual stuff) that was well worth doing was:

a) my break fluid was toast. all the hydraulics worked good and all, but the mechanics said it was past due to have it changed.

b) i'm 6mt as well, and bmw states that the tranny fluid on these cars (dct and 6mt) is life time. its not. i had them replace it, and noticed a significant improvement in how the transmission felt. unless you do it at a dealer ship OR have access to BMW software.... you can't change "all" of the fluid as quite a bit stays behind the transmission fluid pump. i had them do it twice, with a quick drive between so that in essence we changed 75% of it. i now have access to the BMW software, so next time i can force the pump to turn on with the vehicle off.

oh and last but not least, if it already hasn't been done... see if you can get the DME (main computer that controls the motor) software upgraded to the latest 240E (err... 241E now i guess). theres quite a difference between one of the versions. people have reported improvements in how the vehicle starts with the newer revisions. 2008 canadian, so unless the previous owner(s) had it done, your possibly running one of the first versions of the software.

enjoy!
Thanks for the in depth explanation. I will defiantly have a look at both the brake fluid as well as the tranny fluid. The software, I have asked BMW when I took it in once what software was installed, they kind of looked a me with that thousand mile stare. Any other way to check it?
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by javarithms View Post
Any more NVH with the solid diff bushings?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

Quote:
According to Malek@MRF none for the diff. The diff bolt has been known to shear (which can potentially ruin the differential $$$) but the solid bushings will prevent that from happening

Last edited by javarithms; 06-28-2015 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

nothing is forever. don't get used to anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 10:37 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Brake fluid
Trans fluid
Power steering fluid
Diff fluid
Coolant
Spark plugs
Motor mounts
Software update
Diff mounts (but if you have a quiet exhaust don't believe anyone who tells you solid or delrin or hard poly won't be whiney)
Consider rod bearings
Air filter
Cabin filter
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 02:50 AM   #9
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks for the in depth explanation. I will defiantly have a look at both the brake fluid as well as the tranny fluid. The software, I have asked BMW when I took it in once what software was installed, they kind of looked a me with that thousand mile stare. Any other way to check it?
Thanks again!
Dab, welcome aboard!

A BMW dealer can check the software status in 5 seconds putting your key in their reader. They usually have this by the desk so a blink job during initial chat. That read gives a sw revision number, easy enough they can then print the content including all various sw modules such as engine/DME etc.

Don't take BMW dealers no for an answer...

Last edited by Helmsman; 06-27-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #10
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #11
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Brake fluid
Trans fluid
Power steering fluid
Diff fluid
Coolant
Spark plugs
Motor mounts
Software update
Diff mounts (but if you have a quiet exhaust don't believe anyone who tells you solid or delrin or hard poly won't be whiney)
Consider rod bearings
Air filter
Cabin filter
Awesome thanks for the list!! I'll be checkin these off slowly when I can
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Dab, welcome aboard!

A BMW dealer can check the software status in 5 seconds putting your key in their reader. They usually have this by the desk so a blink job during initial chat. That read gives a sw revision number, easy enough they can then print the content including all various sw modules such as engine/DME etc.

Don't take BMW dealers no for an answer...
Thanks Helmsman, good to be here!

Thanks a bunch, didn't realize it was this easy. I'll be taking it in asap to see what I'm running.

To confirm, the newest is 241E?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 6MT

This is a great list. Things I would add as you approach 100k miles.

Pre cat O2 sensors
Keep your eye on your guibo/flex disk
Oil level sensor- mine seemed to be off enough that I changed mine.
Fuel pressure sensor - easy DIY. Sits behind the intake box.
And since you have an 08 with the leaded bearings I would do frequent oil changes (5k to 7k miles) and get a black stone oil report.
Condition your leather

Quote:
Brake fluid
Trans fluid
Power steering fluid
Diff fluid
Coolant
Spark plugs
Motor mounts
Software update
Consider rod bearings
Air filter
Cabin filter
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks Helmsman, good to be here!

Thanks a bunch, didn't realize it was this easy. I'll be taking it in asap to see what I'm running.

To confirm, the newest is 241E?

Thanks!
Hi Dab,

depending on the dealer they might not even know. If you get the "ISTA" revision (the way I remember it; E89-15-5xx, where 15 stands for year), you will be able to cross check with for instance Mike Benvo's list. Don't have it avail on my phone. Alternatively the dealer give you a print out with a series of numbers per module which you again could get help on this board to check.

I like the above suggestion btw: condition the leather. The novillo is great but quite fragile, however rewarding to look after!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldron80 View Post
This is a great list. Things I would add as you approach 100k miles.

Pre cat O2 sensors
And since you have an 08 with the leaded bearings I would do frequent oil changes (5k to 7k miles) and get a black stone oil report.
Condition your leather
Ok you got me... Flex disc? Do go on...

Adding to the list, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #16
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi Dab,

depending on the dealer they might not even know. If you get the "ISTA" revision (the way I remember it; E89-15-5xx, where 15 stands for year), you will be able to cross check with for instance Mike Benvo's list. Don't have it avail on my phone. Alternatively the dealer give you a print out with a series of numbers per module which you again could get help on this board to check.

I like the above suggestion btw: condition the leather. The novillo is great but quite fragile, however rewarding to look after!

Cheers
Sounds good, I'll see what I can get from them today and report back with findings. If it is not the updated software, will I have to book the car in for something to have them update it?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #17
waldron80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Ok you got me... Flex disc? Do go on...

Adding to the list, thanks!
Click the link: See item 2 and while you are down there you might as well do item 8. This was a common part that would get pretty worn out on the e46 m3 and I'm just assuming it will be the same on the e9x.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=26_0202
      06-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

No one's going to recommend a Blackstone report?

And if you're going to do engine mounts, you might as well do the bearings when the new bearings are released, hopefully in Sept.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #19
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Quote:
Brake fluid
Trans fluid
Power steering fluid
Diff fluid
Coolant
Spark plugs
Motor mounts
Software update
Consider rod bearings
Air filter
Cabin filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldron80 View Post
Pre cat O2 sensors
Condition your leather
Pretty legit list. I would add some suspension bits to that too.

Front lower control arms
tie rod ends
check rear trailing arms since they can bend easily
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
No one's going to recommend a Blackstone report?

And if you're going to do engine mounts, you might as well do the bearings when the new bearings are released, hopefully in Sept.
Read up on Blackstone. From what I can gather, this is more trend monitoring than an immediate 'hey look there's lead in your oil, time to do the main bearings'? Can Blackstone compare against the other reports they have for the M3?

Can you link me the thread for the 'new' bearings?

Thanks again everybody! Keep it coming!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:33 PM   #21
dab_of_oppo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #22
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:

Thanks all!

K
Key items have already been mentioned, BUT, @ 100K start seriously thinking about the following:

1. change out the front and rear springs and struts especially if you've been through winters with road salt.
2. Do a professional rust block application.
3. start saving for: water pump, thermostat, radiator, and ac condenser. hit them all at once.
4. Valve Cover Gasket
5. oil change with a motor flush.

I'm at 116K miles. Good luck!
Appreciate 0