R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
m3doc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

ED Road Trip Itinerary

So I've got things pretty much all set for now and finally bought my plane tickets. Here's the plan:

9/23 Arrive in Frankfurt and spend the day at the International Auto Show
9/24 Train down to Munich for ED Pickup and BMW Factory tour
9/24 Catch evening flight to Budapest
9/25-28 Weekend in Budapest seeing sights and going to drift school
9/28- Drive to Maranello via Stelvio Pass/Bormio
9/29- Do Ferrari factory tour
9/30- Drive to Stuttgart via Triberg Waterfalls and Grimsel Pass
10/1- Spend the day in Stuttgart checking out Porsche and Mercedes Museums
10/2- Drive to Dusseldorf. Tour the city while car gets 1200 mile service
10/3- Cologne
10/4- Tourist drive at Nurburgring
10/5- Drive back to Munich to catch flight back home

Any suggestions for things to add or possibly subtract would be greatly appreciated.

J
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
m3doc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any advice anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:26 AM   #3
ClawHammer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible SS/SS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3doc View Post
So I've got things pretty much all set for now and finally bought my plane tickets. Here's the plan:

9/29- Do Ferrari factory tour
9/30- Drive to Stuttgart via Triberg Waterfalls and Grimsel Pass
10/1- Spend the day in Stuttgart checking out Porsche and Mercedes Museums
10/2- Drive to Dusseldorf. Tour the city while car gets 1200 mile service
10/3- Cologne
10/4- Tourist drive at Nurburgring
10/5- Drive back to Munich to catch flight back home

Any suggestions for things to add or possibly subtract would be greatly appreciated.

J
Sorry, no advice but wish you the best of luck with your trip. Sounds pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:

J
Trip plan sounds great, but a lot of go go go - only one segment of multiple nights in one destination I believe. Up through Budapest your itinerary is fine. But then we arrive in Maranello. I see you say that doing a Ferrari factory tour is on your agenda, but this isn't the easiest (or cheapest) ticket to secure. I've said it before on the forums, the Ferrari factory tour will cost you around $300,000USD, but you do get a free car with the tour. In other words, owners of new factory ordered Ferrari vehicles are typically the only ones offered a tour of the factory. You can surely go to the Ferrari museum, but a factory tour is a horse (ha) of a different color. If Maranello is still on your list after reading this reply, I'd say look into the Enzo Ferrari museum in Modena. When I was last in Maranello the Enzo museum was not yet open, so I can't give a review of that but the Ferrari museum was good. Not great, not awful, just good. If you do have an in for the actual factory tour - it is AH-MAZING! Taking that tour made the BMW plant tour at Welt optional for me. I never felt like I was going to miss much.

Going onwards from Italy - great ideas up to 10/4. If driving the 'ring is a bucket list item for you, I'd highly suggest scheduling at least 2 days at the 'ring to attempt to minimize the impact of any weather issues that may rain out the single day. Also, search for their touristfahrten (sp?) schedule online if you haven't yet.

No Fussen/Schwangau?

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

J
This is brilliant... what a great idea.

Now what is this drift school stuff? Can you elaborate, provide a link?

Oh and your trip looks pretty good, enjoy all the beauty in Budapest and I am not talking about the country!!! Make it a point to notice how everyone is SOOOO damn attractive. Its either a 10 or 2 and not much in between, and I am referring to both sexes.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:

J
I lost you on 09/24. If you fly to Budapest, how do you drive in your car from there? I am assuming you return to Munich first?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

RowanBuds is correct about Ferrari. The only public "tour" is a bus ride where you can look at the factory from the bus and do a lap on the test track. Extremely lame. If you have connections or a Ferrari, you may get more access; otherwise it sounded like a let down.

My suggestion would be to contact Lamborghini. They are far more accommodating. You contact them with a request for a factory tour and give them the dates you would prefer. They will respond with times on that date or give an alternate date and time if there is no availability.

This is what I found when I researched. I'm also going into Italy for my ED and Ferrari originally was part of the plan until I researched it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
m3doc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the input guys! I've been the fortunate owner of a Ferrari for the past few years and the factory tour has been a bucket list item of mine since I've owned it. Things are all set up from that standpoint. I've done the Lamborghini factory tour and the Pagani tours in the past too. Any car enthusiast planning to be in the area should definitely check those out!

To clarify, I'll be picking up my car at the Welt on the 24th and then driving and parking my car at Munich airport for the weekend while I'm in Budapest. I'll then fly back to Munich and drive the M4 for the rest of the time I'm in Europe. The airport parking seems to be pretty secure, unless people have other suggestions.

The drift school I'm going to is here: http://www.driftschool.com Seems to be pretty organized and the price includes hotel and transfers to and from the airport. Lol...I'm very much looking forward to seeing the beauty of all of Budapest....I've heard lots of good things from my buddies.

My delivery is scheduled at 2pm. Do I need to book my BMW factory tour on my own for that day or can I just show up that morning and go?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #9
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys! I've been the fortunate owner of a Ferrari for the past few years and the factory tour has been a bucket list item of mine since I've owned it. Things are all set up from that standpoint. I've done the Lamborghini factory tour and the Pagani tours in the past too. Any car enthusiast planning to be in the area should definitely check those out!

To clarify, I'll be picking up my car at the Welt on the 24th and then driving and parking my car at Munich airport for the weekend while I'm in Budapest. I'll then fly back to Munich and drive the M4 for the rest of the time I'm in Europe. The airport parking seems to be pretty secure, unless people have other suggestions.

The drift school I'm going to is here: http://www.driftschool.com Seems to be pretty organized and the price includes hotel and transfers to and from the airport. Lol...I'm very much looking forward to seeing the beauty of all of Budapest....I've heard lots of good things from my buddies.

My delivery is scheduled at 2pm. Do I need to book my BMW factory tour on my own for that day or can I just show up that morning and go?
AWESOME!! The Ferrari factory tour is just superb. Envious of you - I wish I could do it again and again. Just keep your fingers crossed that you get a tour of the corsa clienti workshop - or mention it to your tourguide early on to see if it is a possibility.

Book the Welt tour in advance from what I have read.

Pagani!!?? That's one I haven't done - is that an open ticket or do you need to have ownership of that marque as well?

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
AWESOME!! The Ferrari factory tour is just superb. Envious of you - I wish I could do it again and again. Just keep your fingers crossed that you get a tour of the corsa clienti workshop - or mention it to your tourguide early on to see if it is a possibility.

Book the Welt tour in advance from what I have read.

Pagani!!?? That's one I haven't done - is that an open ticket or do you need to have ownership of that marque as well?
I can't imagine Pagani only allows owners to take a tour. What have they made 1000 cars in their history?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

m3doc I should have started with do you own a Ferrari. My bad.

Ferrari tour will be awesome for you.

One option for you would be to park the car at the Welt over the weekend and take the train to the airport. The car couldn't be anywhere safer than at the Welt and they allow ED customers to park the car there.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
m3doc
Enlisted Member
Rep

You don't need to be an owner to do the Pagani or Lamborghini tours. Ferrari is the only one who's strict about that part. For anyone interested, the company I used when I went was: http://www.motorstars.org. Amazing experience with an organized group that takes you to the Ferrari museum, Lamborghini museum and factory and the Pagani factory.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion to park at the Welt! Didn't even think of that as an option.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #13
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3doc

The English factory tour is at 11:45am and last about 2.5 hours from what I've read. You might need to change your delivery time. Email the welt to schedule the tour.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0