European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
ajag
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X3M C

Test drove Edition 1 W205 C63S today.

Local MB dealer called me, so figured I'd check it out for fun, my 16 M4 will be here in 4-6 weeks (pretraded a 13 S6).

Here's my 5 min comparo:

Engine/Exhaust: 4.0TT is very nice...and sounds good for a turbo (though not as good as 6.2L NA V8). Very torquey. Seriously hamstrung by crappy MCT trans, though.

Trans: As above, can't hold a candle to a real DCT like BMW or Porsche. I'd like to see how nice the engine shines in the AMG GT, though, with a proper tranny.

Exterior: Not bad, though I still prefer the W204, which was a more aggressive muscular design IMHO. Couple may end up looking ok, but the M3 is much better looking.

Interior: Amazing. Design, materials, etc, FAR superior to the M3. The tablet display is kind of stuck on and the column shifter sux, but otherwise, no comparison. BMW has a long way to go with their interiors.

All in all, about what I expected. Great engine w/ a pretty good exhaust note in a heavy car with a phenomenal interior and meh exterior. I'm not regretting my M4 order at all.
      07-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajag View Post
Local MB dealer called me, so figured I'd check it out for fun, my 16 M4 will be here in 4-6 weeks (pretraded a 13 S6).

Here's my 5 min comparo:

Engine/Exhaust: 4.0TT is very nice...and sounds good for a turbo (though not as good as 6.2L NA V8). Very torquey. Seriously hamstrung by crappy MCT trans, though.

Trans: As above, can't hold a candle to a real DCT like BMW or Porsche. I'd like to see how nice the engine shines in the AMG GT, though, with a proper tranny.

Exterior: Not bad, though I still prefer the W204, which was a more aggressive muscular design IMHO. Couple may end up looking ok, but the M3 is much better looking.

Interior: Amazing. Design, materials, etc, FAR superior to the M3. The tablet display is kind of stuck on and the column shifter sux, but otherwise, no comparison. BMW has a long way to go with their interiors.

All in all, about what I expected. Great engine w/ a pretty good exhaust note in a heavy car with a phenomenal interior and meh exterior. I'm not regretting my M4 order at all.
I agree about the interior vs a car without full leather. Its the best option I selected.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajag View Post

Here's my 5 min comparo:

We'll have one of these on the dyno shortly.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
JL M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

The mb interior is far superior to the m3 no matter how we option the m3. The c63 interior just feels "special".

But I still love my m3
Appreciate 3
      07-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3 View Post
The mb interior is far superior to the m3 no matter how we option the m3. The c63 interior just feels "special".

But I still love my m3
Thats subjective. I feel the M3 interior is sportier which I personally like. I dont like the analog clock in the Merc or the argyle seats.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I went to the MB dealer this afternoon to see two C63S's they had. I parked, walked inside and asked where they were. Salesman looks at me as if I'm joking... I'm not. I literally parked IMMEDIATELY in front of both of them and walked past them into the dealership looking for them They look SO much like a regular C class that I completely missed them. As others have said... interior is killer compared to BMW (seats are OUT-F%$KING-STANDING) but the exterior is so bland and boring that I can't ever see it as a real option for me personally.

Come on coupe!! Come on MB... get the coupe right and I'll reconsider with a fresh set of eyes.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

Thanks for sharing ...

How do you compare the C63s 4.0TT vs S6 4.0TT ?

Both are "hot v" configuration.

Merc MCT vs. Audi S-Tronic ?

And finally if you have time, M4 vs S6 ... hahaha ...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
Crescendo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
I went to the MB dealer this afternoon to see two C63S's they had. I parked, walked inside and asked where they were. Salesman looks at me as if I'm joking... I'm not. I literally parked IMMEDIATELY in front of both of them and walked past them into the dealership looking for them They look SO much like a regular C class that I completely missed them. As others have said... interior is killer compared to BMW (seats are OUT-F%$KING-STANDING) but the exterior is so bland and boring that I can't ever see it as a real option for me personally.

Come on coupe!! Come on MB... get the coupe right and I'll reconsider with a fresh set of eyes.
So what you are saying is that this look exactly like a regular C class?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Crescendo
Banned
Rep

Quote:

But this does'nt look like an M4?
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      07-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #10
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo
Quote:

Yes that looks like a regular c class
      07-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #11
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Quote:

No that doesn't look like an M4
      07-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #12
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3

But I still love my m3
I can't stand the chrome and shiny black plastics in the MB interiors. I just know in 8-10 years they are going to look dated and faddish. I prefer the understated though quality feel of the F80 with full leather.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 05:40 AM   #13
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescendo View Post
I'm saying it looks very close to a regular C class especially in darker colors. In white, it does show the differences better but in the grey and blue cars I saw, if you aren't looking for the trim/vent differences, you will miss it. You are picking a white car that highlights accent differences.

Last edited by gthal; 07-04-2015 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 05:46 AM   #14
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No. The M4 looks much wider and has a completely different stance in person. The hood is completely different and the fenders are all flared and noticeably different.

The C63 and the regular C have almost identical lines.... the difference being the front lip, rear diffuser and some venting stuff. Much less obvious.

I know cars well and get annoyed when my wife says "Car X looks just like car Y" . However, in this case, there is WAY too much similarity with the C class other than some trim pieces. You don't have to agree but I'm not exaggerating when I say I walked right by two of them and didn't realize what they were. I guarantee that I wouldn't walk by an M4 and think it was a 435i as the differences are FAR greater.

I had previously seen an Edition 1 and that was noticeably different with the red pin stripe on the wheel and light color with black accents. But the sheet metal of the two cars are almost the same. Some people will like that the two cars are so similar (sleeper aspect) but, for me, the only color I could buy this car in today would be white because any other color and the car disappears into a sea of regularity.

Last edited by gthal; 07-04-2015 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2015, 05:49 AM   #15
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Damn, guna have to pop in to my local dealership and check one out
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #16
Crescendo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No. The M4 looks much wider and has a completely different stance in person. The hood is completely different and the fenders are all flared and noticeably different.

The C63 and the regular C have almost identical lines.... the difference being the front lip, rear diffuser and some venting stuff. Much less obvious.

I know cars well and get annoyed when my wife says "Car X looks just like car Y" . However, in this case, there is WAY too much similarity with the C class other than some trim pieces. You don't have to agree but I'm not exaggerating when I say I walked right by two of them and didn't realize what they were. I guarantee that I wouldn't walk by an M4 and think it was a 435i as the differences are FAR greater.

I had previously seen an Edition 1 and that was noticeably different with the red pin stripe on the wheel and light color with black accents. But the sheet metal of the two cars are almost the same. Some people will like that the two cars are so similar (sleeper aspect) but, for me, the only color I could buy this car in today would be white because any other color and the car disappears into a sea of regularity.
You do know that the AMG also has wider fenders in the front and a different hood, just like the Ms, it also has a much longer front end(3 inch I think) then the regular C, this gives it a bit of a "hot rod" look that the non AMG cars simply don't have. To me those are all pretty obvious differences, probably less obvious for someone who does'nt know the car, but that would also be the case with someone who does'nt know the F8x. I also think that just those wheels on the pictures of the white car are enough to tell you that this is'nt your regular C-class, so if someone really wanted to differentiate his C63 from the rest of the line up, he should opt for those, after all wheels are 50% of the look of a car!

In the end I don't expect people on a BMW forum to be expert in AMG models, but to say the sheet metal of the C63 is almost the same as the regular serie is simply not true. Personnaly it's the first car that I'm aware of that uses a longer front end then its regular serie and I got to say I find it pretty cool, specially when you know why they have done this, to fit that big engine under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL M3 View Post

But I still love my m3
Thats subjective. I feel the M3 interior is sportier which I personally like. I dont like the analog clock in the Merc or the argyle seats.
I agree that the MB feels special and it is subjective. I personally like the analog clock. I'm into watches so I really appreciate the choice of using an IWC branded clock which help it feel special. Its that type of attention to detail that makes the MB interior great (minus the tacked on nav screen). If BMW would give us alcantera headliner, it would be a simple way to really elevate the M3/4 interior, even if we have to pay extra for it, but its not even an option to do through Individual.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

steering comments?
      07-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #19
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You do know that the AMG also has wider fenders in the front and a different hood, just like the Ms, it also has a much longer front end(3 inch I think) then the regular C, this gives it a bit of a "hot rod" look that the non AMG cars simply don't have. To me those are all pretty obvious differences, probably less obvious for someone who does'nt know the car, but that would also be the case with someone who does'nt know the F8x. I also think that just those wheels on the pictures of the white car are enough to tell you that this is'nt your regular C-class, so if someone really wanted to differentiate his C63 from the rest of the line up, he should opt for these.

In the end I don't expect people on a BMW forum to be expert in AMG models, but to say the sheet metal of the C63 is almost the same as the regular serie is simply not true. Personnaly it's the first car that I'm aware of that uses a longer front end then its regular serie and I got to say I find it pretty cool, specially when you know why they have done this, to fit that big engine under the hood.
Exactly. I've got a couple friends that are into cars. They both have had M and AMG cars along with 911s, and a Ferrari so they arent just normal everyday people. But both of them saw a 435 with M sport pack and thought that it was an M4 before seeing the badge on the back. My point is that both the M4 and C63 look very similar to the regular series cars unless you know the specific differences to look for. To me, the M4 looks too similar to the 4 series, i didnt think the rear fenders were flared aggressive enough until i saw them both side by side. Which is one of the many reasons I ordered the M3 instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #20
Crescendo
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You do know that the AMG also has wider fenders in the front and a different hood, just like the Ms, it also has a much longer front end(3 inch I think) then the regular C, this gives it a bit of a "hot rod" look that the non AMG cars simply don't have. To me those are all pretty obvious differences, probably less obvious for someone who does'nt know the car, but that would also be the case with someone who does'nt know the F8x. I also think that just those wheels on the pictures of the white car are enough to tell you that this is'nt your regular C-class, so if someone really wanted to differentiate his C63 from the rest of the line up, he should opt for these.

Exactly. I've got a couple friends that are into cars. They both have had M and AMG cars along with 911s, and a Ferrari so they arent just normal everyday people. But both of them saw a 435 with M sport pack and thought that it was an M4 before seeing the badge on the back. My point is that both the M4 and C63 look very similar to the regular series cars unless you know the specific differences to look for. To me, the M4 looks too similar to the 4 series, i didnt think the rear fenders were flared aggressive enough until i saw them both side by side. Which is one of the many reasons I ordered the M3 instead.
lol That's a mistake I always do with the 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:42 AM   #21
EfEightyM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
I believe this is truly accurate. A 4 series with M sport looks far to close to a M4 whereas I believe the distinction between an M3 and 3 M sport is a bit more revealing, especially since the fender flare is much more dramatic, but people who aren't in the know, likely won't tell a difference with either.
The C63 I have seen in person and I believe some angles look similar (they should, it's based on the same car) but there are certain elements that are distinct.
As far as interior though, there is no true comparison, the Mercedes has the BMW by a lot. My F80 M3 has full leather and the interior still doesn't scream luxury, especially since I feel the plastics are really cheap and chintzy (sp?) feeling. The door cars are also pretty low grade stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #22
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You do know that the AMG also has wider fenders in the front and a different hood, just like the Ms, it also has a much longer front end(3 inch I think) then the regular C, this gives it a bit of a "hot rod" look that the non AMG cars simply don't have. To me those are all pretty obvious differences, probably less obvious for someone who does'nt know the car, but that would also be the case with someone who does'nt know the F8x. I also think that just those wheels on the pictures of the white car are enough to tell you that this is'nt your regular C-class, so if someone really wanted to differentiate his C63 from the rest of the line up, he should opt for those, after all wheels are 50% of the look of a car!

I've owned a W204 C63 and it looked different... or much moreso... than the regular cars.

I understand there are differences and, yes, I absolutely see them. My point is they are relatively subtle compared to the regular cars. Moreso in this gen car than the last IMO. To me it is more than just whether the car is "different". The W205 is a softer look than the more muscular W204 IMO and a step backwards for MB. It is round and looks more like a regular sedan. Small wheels, no concavity, little fender flares, round and soft rear. Just my view but it isn't a sporty looking car whereas the last C63 looked far more menacing and fast. I have seen, in person, a regular C and the C63S side by side and my opinion is there is far less differentiation than the M4 vs. 435 or the M3 to the 3 series.

Besides, this is subjective so why people are getting so defensive is unclear I wish the C63S looked as aggressive as it performs. It simply doesn't and I'm disappointed because I wanted it to look as good as it performs. If there is one area of the car that seems to NOT get a lot of universal praise is the exterior design. If you personally like it, that's great. I don't like the sedan but do hope I like the coupe because I like cars and options Based on the early spy photos, I think MB will do a MUCH better job on the coupe and it will be a real contender for my $$.

Last edited by gthal; 07-04-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0