Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
diesel1879
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2016 Xdrive50i,13 q5

Euro Delivery, which port did you use?

I'm currently in the process of planing my Euro Delivery scheduled for sept 24th

I've read up on my euro delivery threads and the routes they have taken. Since this is my first time going to Europe I want to do it right. From what ive seen I deff want to try and visit some these spots:

stelvio or susten pass
Lake Como
Villa Balbianello
venice
(castles, I will be taking my family, if you know any great ones please recommended!)
any additonal places you guys would recommend.

My question is for you guys that have done the trip which port do you recommend for drop off? If i visit these sites should i just drive back to Germany? Im guessing dropping off in Venice might be nice. (i don't have a list of ports yet still haven't received my welcome kit)

Also please dont kill me if this has been covered, Ive searched and read many threads on ED, read the stickies, I saw a guide on ED a while back but cant find it now so if there is one you'd recommend please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

The major thing to keep in mind is that, if you drop off the car in Italy, somebody from the transportation company (i.e., not you) will literally drive the car back to Munich (instead of it being put on a truck and shipped to port in Germany). Most people would recommend not dropping off in Italy if you can avoid it.

Outside that issue, it doesn't make a huge difference where you drop off. The other website has some survey/data on how long the return voyage takes from various drop off locations, but the differences are so minimal that it is definitely not worth planning your trip around.

In short, my suggestion is to drop off wherever is most convenient for your trip and not to let it alter your plans.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Mine is the 24th too! What time are you going? Get yourself on the list - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1137633

I'm dropping off in Munich, though the farthest I'm driving is Hallstat, Austria. Here is a list of drop-off sites - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Locations.aspx

My ED thread
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
diesel1879
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja_Vu View Post
Mine is the 24th too! What time are you going? Get yourself on the list - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1137633

I'm dropping off in Munich, though the farthest I'm driving is Hallstat, Austria. Here is a list of drop-off sites - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Locations.aspx
we're going to be there at the same time, within half an hour. My pickup is at 1030 am! Looking forward to see you there!
I also commented on that thread and put my time and date but they did not update the list.. Have you decided on any special stops?

Last edited by diesel1879; 07-22-2015 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
diesel1879
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian30tw View Post
The major thing to keep in mind is that, if you drop off the car in Italy, somebody from the transportation company (i.e., not you) will literally drive the car back to Munich (instead of it being put on a truck and shipped to port in Germany). Most people would recommend not dropping off in Italy if you can avoid it.

Outside that issue, it doesn't make a huge difference where you drop off. The other website has some survey/data on how long the return voyage takes from various drop off locations, but the differences are so minimal that it is definitely not worth planning your trip around.

In short, my suggestion is to drop off wherever is most convenient for your trip and not to let it alter your plans.

Good luck!
Great point, its not a bad drive back about 6 hours. Id rather enjoy the drive back my self. Ill try and hit up a couple other location on the way then.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #6
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1879 View Post
we're going to be there at the same time, within half an hour. My pickup is at 1030 am! Looking forward to see you there!
I also commented on that thread and put my time and date but they did not update the list.. Have you decided on any special stops?
Yeah he's got to manually add you in. Probably should've used something like Google docs for people to edit the list.

I've only got 6 days for the trip (will definitely be longer next time) and I've got my entire trip pretty much planned out -

Arrive the 23rd.

Day 1 - ED, Factory tour, Dachau (possibly), and Oktoberfest.
Day 2 - Regensberg and Nuremburg
Day 3 - Top part of RR
Day 4 - Bottom part of RR with Neuschwanstein
Day 5 - Hallstat, Austria
Day 6 - Back to Munich with dropoff and more touring/Oktoberfest.

Leave the 30th on early morning flight.

My ED thread
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
diesel1879
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah he's got to manually add you in. Probably should've used something like Google docs for people to edit the list.

I've only got 6 days for the trip (will definitely be longer next time) and I've got my entire trip pretty much planned out -

Arrive the 23rd.

Day 1 - ED, Factory tour, Dachau (possibly), and Oktoberfest.
Day 2 - Regensberg and Nuremburg
Day 3 - Top part of RR
Day 4 - Bottom part of RR with Neuschwanstein
Day 5 - Hallstat, Austria
Day 6 - Back to Munich with dropoff and more touring/Oktoberfest.

Leave the 30th on early morning flight.
Im arriving the 23rd (around 1 pm), pick up 24th as well and departing the 30th too. Are you flying into munich or zurich? Im on AA from jfk to zurich.

Hallstat looks awesome! we deff need to get a photo shoot of our cars when were out there!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1879 View Post
Im arriving the 23rd (around 1 pm), pick up 24th as well and departing the 30th too. Are you flying into munich or zurich? Im on AA from jfk to zurich.

Hallstat looks awesome! we deff need to get a photo shoot of our cars when were out there!
Flying Dulles to Munich on Turkish Airlines and won't get there until 9:45 at night....wish it was earlier in the day.

Yeah I wanted to do something really nice for the wife so we're staying pretty much right on the lake in Obertraun. Should be nice. Yeah I'm definitely down for a quick shoot. Do you have a plan yet of where you're going besides Italy? I wanted to make it down there (and had initially tried including it in the plan) but it'd be too much driving for us, plus I know the wife loves Germany having been stationed there for a few years. Italy will be a future trip.

My ED thread
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
diesel1879
Private
Rep

Quote:
Flying Dulles to Munich on Turkish Airlines and won't get there until 9:45 at night....wish it was earlier in the day.

Yeah I wanted to do something really nice for the wife so we're staying pretty much right on the lake in Obertraun. Should be nice. Yeah I'm definitely down for a quick shoot. Do you have a plan yet of where you're going besides Italy? I wanted to make it down there (and had initially tried including it in the plan) but it'd be too much driving for us, plus I know the wife loves Germany having been stationed there for a few years. Italy will be a future trip.
This trip came up as a last minute opportunity for me, so I dont have anything set in stone just yet. I don't even have any hotels reserved. Only plane tickets and my production number. I figured I wanted to stop by italy so I'd drive in that direction. I know i want to at least see some of the castles, drive on stelivo and go by lake como. Im still working on a driving route... Neuschwanstein looks awesome, I have to figure how i can include some of these on my route.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

One thing to consider, if I am reading correctly, pickup AND dropoff are only available Mon through Fri ! So essentially, if you have a typical 1 week Sun through Sun vacation, and pick up Monday, you essentially lose a weekend with the car as you have to drop it off that Friday !

Am I interpreting this correctly ?

Also, did you guys state correctly that whatever your dropoff location, the car is driven by someone back to Munich from where it's shipped ???
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
brian30tw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 delivered in Munich

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
One thing to consider, if I am reading correctly, pickup AND dropoff are only available Mon through Fri ! So essentially, if you have a typical 1 week Sun through Sun vacation, and pick up Monday, you essentially lose a weekend with the car as you have to drop it off that Friday !

Also, did you guys state correctly that whatever your dropoff location, the car is driven by someone back to Munich from where it's shipped ???
Each drop off location has its own hours. I'm not sure if any are open on the weekend or not, but I'd be surprised if they are.

The thing about having the car driven back to Munich is only true of drop off locations in Italy. If you drop off at any other location outside Italy, your car will be put on a truck and shipped directly to port in Bremerhaven.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #12
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Your trip sounds similar to mine.

We started in Munich (duh), then went to Innsbruck, Venice, Milan, Lake Como, and back to Munich. You could do something similar and hit most of your locations. I would also recommend against Italy as a drop off location.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post

I think you can schedule an appointment to drop it off early afternoon on Saturdays. I've also read ( I believe the BMW website) that you can drop it off at the welt and have someone drive it over for you for some fee. I believe it was 200 EU
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #14
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

I was checking into drop off locations, and with the info that you guys provided above (that most locations ship your car by truck), I am going to drop off in Nice, France.

Since I am heavily biased against Italy, I'm planning on doing most of my ED trip in the French Alps, Southern France, and (if I can make it) Northern Spain... maybe I will try to make the trip to the El Bulli holy site ;P
Appreciate 0