Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #1
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

M4 radio quality

is it just me or is the radio quality on this car horrendous? even the hd radio is bad. everything is really tinny sounding and a lot of times bitcrushed. I'm a producer/engineer so I know sound pretty well. even with the da settings tweaked it sounds awful. iPods sound fine. it's just the radio. and don't even get me started on satellite radio. but that's not bmw's fault. seriusxm has horrendous sound quality. I swear they transmit at like 2kbs. but anyways, anyone else have issues with their radio sounding horrible? it's not the speakers, and it's not the easiest settings. cd's and iPods sound great on the HK system.
      07-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun
If you're a producer/engineer, then you know that radio sounds like crap anyway. Can't comment on HD as it wasn't all there before I moved, but I can comment on the equivalent, DAB, and that too is hit or miss depending on how they broadcast it.

Satellite is anywhere from 4-64kbps. Even more crappy.

I've had HK on two previous cars and FM was as expected.

Can't imaging there's any AD/DA conversion happening for FM, so it sounding bitcrushed is probably not the best way to describe it. Over compressed?
no it definitely sounds bitcrushed. that's an unmistakable sound. hd radio really doesn't sound terrible. I had the HK stereo in my John Cooper works mini and it really sounded good on hd radio. normal radio was a drastic difference. the M4 on the other hand sounds terrible all the time, hd or not. over compression is what happens with the satellite radio. the hd radio and satellite radio sound completely different but both bad. the satellite radio sounds compressed and you lose tons of audio information. whereas the hd radio just sounds bitcrushed. that's the best way to describe it.
      07-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Are you in an area with really bad reception? I frequently drive through patches of bad reception, and the radio sounds terrible. When I get good reception, FM sounds as expected: OK, but far from good. When I want to listen to music I use CD's or lossless.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Are you in an area with really bad reception? I frequently drive through patches of bad reception, and the radio sounds terrible. When I get good reception, FM sounds as expected: OK, but far from good. When I want to listen to music I use CD's or lossless.
yeah it's pretty much on hd radio all the time. no issues there. it just sounds so bad compared to my Mini Cooper. same stereo system too. could it be a problem with the antenna?
      07-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
yeah it's pretty much on hd radio all the time. no issues there. it just sounds so bad compared to my Mini Cooper. same stereo system too. could it be a problem with the antenna?
I think it is a "problem" with the antenna. BMW antenna seems pretty awful. I think they've taken a dive since the E90's. I've been in Mercedes, Hondas, and Toyota's in nearly the same location, but they seemed to have much better reception and audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
I think it is a "problem" with the antenna. BMW antenna seems pretty awful. I think they've taken a dive since the E90's. I've been in Mercedes, Hondas, and Toyota's in nearly the same location, but they seemed to have much better reception and audio quality.
yeah that was my first thought. cuz every other car I've been in, even with much worse stereo systems, still sound better on the radio than my M4. it's horrible.
      07-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
Duder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yeah the normal radio is bad, always. the hd radio is fairly close to what I'd get on like a 256mp3. at least in my JCW. the hd radio in the M4 is like a bitcrushed 192mp3. it really is bad. not sure why it's such a big difference between the JCW and the M4?
      07-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #8
whatheheck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Ferrari 360, 2015 SO M4

The sound quality of my FM radio is as expected - FM Radio.

And like you said - XM is so heavily compressed its sound quality is unacceptable. I really dont know how they stay in business.

I listen to my iPod and Pandora most of the time and rarely tune to FM and XM.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:47 AM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Yes, It seems that it's an antenna design issue or maybe the radio HU, on my previous e46 325, FM sounded good. And BTW FM quality given no transmission or reception impairments is supposed to be decent but not comparable to CD quality, 15khz bandwidth compared to 22khz for Red Book CD. I have HK sound system and regardless of the source, it's hurting my ears. I think BMW just doesn't focus much on car audio. I will be upgrading most of the system (amp, speakers and those useless underseat woofers) sometimes soon.
Appreciate 0