BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG

Performance Center Delivery

I did a quick search and didn't find any info. Has anyone done this with their X5M? If so, how was the experience?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
I did a quick search and didn't find any info. Has anyone done this with their X5M? If so, how was the experience?
I did it with mine mid-May of this year. It was a fun experience. The only time you'll be in an X5 M, though, is when you are doing the breaking, handling, and driving to the skid pad, where they'll switch you into a rear wheel drive 335. The off road course is done in a well equipped X5 50i, and that is what you'll use to drive to the factory, or at least that is what my day was like.

The performance center was hosting the Pro-Am people the day I was there, so things were flipped from normal, we did delivery of the vehicles first thing, which was nice to see my X5 M right off the bat, then we did the factory tour, and on the way back, we did the off road course, then the hot lap, then lunch, then all of the driving bits.

I enjoyed the day, and would do it again. My only true letdown with the experience was the quality of the food the hotel served. It was bad enough that my guest and I didn't finish our meals the night we arrived. Breakfast was better, but by a slim margin.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
I did it with mine mid-May of this year. It was a fun experience. The only time you'll be in an X5 M, though, is when you are doing the breaking, handling, and driving to the skid pad, where they'll switch you into a rear wheel drive 335. The off road course is done in a well equipped X5 50i, and that is what you'll use to drive to the factory, or at least that is what my day was like.

The performance center was hosting the Pro-Am people the day I was there, so things were flipped from normal, we did delivery of the vehicles first thing, which was nice to see my X5 M right off the bat, then we did the factory tour, and on the way back, we did the off road course, then the hot lap, then lunch, then all of the driving bits.

I enjoyed the day, and would do it again. My only true letdown with the experience was the quality of the food the hotel served. It was bad enough that my guest and I didn't finish our meals the night we arrived. Breakfast was better, but by a slim margin.
How did you handle this process with your dealer? Did you notify them at the time of order or did they suggest? Did it add any time to your process?

I also assume that all of the details were taken care of before you left home (like tax, title and license). What effect did picking up in South Carolina have on that?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post
How did you handle this process with your dealer? Did you notify them at the time of order or did they suggest? Did it add any time to your process?

I also assume that all of the details were taken care of before you left home (like tax, title and license). What effect did picking up in South Carolina have on that?
I told the GM of my dealership, with whom I worked in ordering the X5 M, that I wanted to do performance center delivery when we placed the order. It delayed delivery of the vehicle by one month. The X5 M finished production end of the first week of April, and sat at the VPC/VDC for a month, until my delivery date of May 13th. I could have moved the date up, if my schedule would have allowed.

The paperwork for the vehicle has to be completed within one week before the performance center delivery. This means signing the note/lease documents, and paying applicable taxes and down payments. The dealership transferred the plates from my traded-in E70 X5, and processed the registration paperwork the afternoon before I flew out of Boston. I took my license plates, and registration with me, along with proof of insurance. Once the paperwork is completed at your home dealership, they will send a release to the performance center giving the go ahead to let you take the car, without that, they won't give you the vehicle.

It is a surreal experience paying for a vehicle you've never seen, never driven, and have never seen samples of the colors/leathers chosen. I would do performance center delivery again.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
Luca42
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Urban. I am considering this seriously. No worries here about extending the delivery -- I think it may work well for me.

You are bold, my friend. I'm nervous about pulling the trigger on an interior color I have not seen -- not a whole car. I'd be really nervous to buy a car without having had the chance to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
x5man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8 Gran Coupe

If i already took a delivery of my vehicle, can i still attend that program and practice in demo vehicles? Does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5man View Post
If i already took a delivery of my vehicle, can i still attend that program and practice in demo vehicles? Does anyone know?
you can sign up for different driving schools at PDC but you will have to pay for them. Info is on bmw site
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Doing performance center delivery ('16 X5 M) at the end of this month.
Appreciate 0