BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
SeanE92
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Jerez Black E92 M3

Suspension suggestions - ohlins or kw?

Hey,

I am trying to decide what suspension I should go with.

1. I drive the car everyday and I track it at least 1 time a month.
2. I have had H&R springs on it and currently am using the complete ground control coilover conversion kit.
3. I would PREFER to keep using the EDC or have an alternative electronic control.
4. Camber plates are a must have and height adjust-ability is a must have.

Car is a competition edition if that matters, definitely prefer linear springs.

Current options -

1. Ohlins R&T
- good previous experience with a e92 335i
- no camber plates
- LOSE edc

2. Bilstein B16 Damptronic
- KEEP edc
- no camber plates
- no reviews anywhere really

3. KW Clubsport
- no edc
- yes on the camber plates
- not sure if it will be comfortable on street

4. any other suggestions???
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Mcs
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Mcs
No question!
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

MCS is almost 5 grand! I'm in the wrong thread -__-
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I've had both the Ohlins R&T and the KW Clubsports and given your criteria, I would 100% choose the Clubsports.

The Clubsports are far better in handling, especially on the track, and yet are surprisingly comfortable on the street. I DD my car and the Clubsports are absolutely fine on my commute. As currently setup, they feel about the same as the Ohlins on 8/9, yet will handle significantly better on the track. People (including myself before I got them) expect the Clubsports to be very harsh, but they are anything but. I was very, very pleasantly surprised by their on-street performance.

The only time I would recommend the Ohlins over the KWs would be for a pure street car. It is hands down the best way to lower the car while keeping OEM comfort, but the spring rates and damping are setup for comfort, not max performance. The KWs offer nearly all of the Ohlins comfort, but substantially more performance.

Since you are in SoCal, I would highly recommend you take your car to MRF Engineering. Malek at MRF has a lot of experience with the Clubsport in particular and can get your car dialed. He did the Clubsports in my car and a few others that I've ridden in and the effect (dramatically improving handling without sacrificing comfort on the street) has been nothing short of voodoo magic.
Appreciate 1
a5m623.50
      08-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
NoSHAM3
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a gas guzzler

I still have yet to get my CS dialed in perfectly and are, in my opinion, a little harsh on the street. Since I don't track, if I were to do it all over again, I would probably go with the Ohlins.

I think the consensus is that Ohlins are great on the street and good on the track while the CS is great on the track and good on the street.

Considering how you are using the car I think the CS is the way to go.

Suck/Squeeze/Bang/Blow
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
SeanE92
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, it matches up with most of the research I have done. I am waiting to hear back from anyone who has had Bilstein Damptronic or the KW DDC systems on their car. I love the ability to change dampening on the fly and would like to retain it if possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

kw cs if you track once a month.

stiffer than stock but also compliant.

where in socal are you?
      08-25-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

TC Kline DA's
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 04:02 AM   #10
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE92 View Post
Hey,

2. I have had H&R springs on it and currently am using the complete ground control coilover conversion kit.
3. I would PREFER to keep using the EDC or have an alternative electronic control.

Current options -

1. Ohlins R&T
- no camber plates
- LOSE edc

- KEEP edc
- no camber plates

3. KW Clubsport
- no edc

What don't you discuss your requirements with each suspension manufacturer to assess how each of them will be met? You can then make your own informed decision? In addition to Ohlins and KW, what not speak to Intrax, TC Kline and Nitron to see what they can offer?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #11
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Sean, have you read the Sticky from JAJ: suspension upgrade options for M3?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
SeanE92
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
What don't you discuss your requirements with each suspension manufacturer to assess how each of them will be met? You can then make your own informed decision? In addition to Ohlins and KW, what not speak to Intrax, TC Kline and Nitron to see what they can offer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
Sean, have you read the Sticky from JAJ: suspension upgrade options for M3?

I am talking to MCS currently to see what they can offer as well. I might as well get the suspension that will make me 'faster' in the long run rather than go back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Hey,

Current options -

1. Ohlins R&T
- no camber plates
- LOSE edc

- KEEP edc
- no camber plates

3. KW Clubsport
- no edc

From your list of options and not knowing your budget.

The best daily coilover kit that doesn't give up too much on the track would be Ohlins. If you track most of the time and rarely drive on the street, then the KW CS.

Any of the above will give you a substantial increase in performance if you are only using a coilover over conversion using OE dampers and H&R springs. Ohlins will also give you a much better ride quality, better than stock actually.

Bilstein would be your only choice, but you may be giving up a lot of performance to keep EDC.

Camber plates can be added to almost all coilovers.

TCKR DA's is a very good alternative as well.

PM, email or call us if you want to discuss anything in particular and in depth.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Casey@RWE
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
I am talking to MCS currently to see what they can offer as well. I might as well get the suspension that will make me 'faster' in the long run rather than go back and forth.
You can get MCS 1-ways at just over $4,000 with everything you need installed, set and shipped which is a much better option in almost every track or performance oriented mindset. Plus the MCS are upgradeable down the line to move up to 2 way or whatever interests you at the time. Another plus is that when you go MCS, JRZ or the like, they are a somewhat bespoke application and you can pick and choose options like spring rates, camber plates etc. MCS and JRZ damper quality is probably the best under 10k, you would be much happier with either of these over KW and Ohlins on both the street and the track. Don't misunderstand me though, KW and Ohlins make great products, but what got them the name isnt anything you're seeing for sale online. TTX's and KW Motorsport/Race can go over $10,000 relatively easily. All the clubsports, variants and R&T's are mass produced money makers.

We just sold a set to a gentleman in Texas last week and right now their build times are really short since pre-race season hasn't hit yet. Instead of the normal 4-5 weeks we're looking at 10 days.

Last edited by Casey@RWE; 09-18-2015 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

MCS/Moton and JRZ also got their name in the 2-way, 3-way and pro series dampers. Both of them had many issues with their street products before getting it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey@RWE View Post
You can get MCS 1-ways at just over $4,000 with everything you need installed, set and shipped which is a much better option in almost every track or performance oriented mindset. Plus the MCS are upgradeable down the line to move up to 2 way or whatever interests you at the time. Another plus is that when you go MCS, JRZ or the like, they are a somewhat bespoke application and you can pick and choose options like spring rates, camber plates etc. MCS and JRZ damper quality is probably the best under 10k, you would be much happier with either of these over KW and Ohlins on both the street and the track. Don't misunderstand me though, KW and Ohlins make great products, but what got them the name isnt anything you're seeing for sale online. TTX's and KW Motorsport/Race can go over $10,000 relatively easily. All the clubsports, variants and R&T's are mass produced money makers.

We just sold a set to a gentleman in Texas last week and right now their build times are really short since pre-race season hasn't hit yet. Instead of the normal 4-5 weeks we're looking at 10 days.
another vendor just pushing their own product. Ohlins will allow you to choose custom spring rates for their R&T kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

Almost any top notch coil over setup will allow you custom spring rates.
      09-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #18
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

MCS is the way to go!

Sure custom rates are available from most damper manufacturers but they also require/recommend damper revalving (e.g., Ohlins R&T).
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

I just ordered MCS singles. Their lead time is very reasonable this time of year. One week to build and ship. AR Auto Service is our local suspension guru and MCS dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #20
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
MCS is the way to go!

Sure custom rates are available from most damper manufacturers but they also require/recommend damper revalving (e.g., Ohlins R&T).
MCS doesn't?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #21
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
MCS doesn't?
Not typically. Depending on the application (1WNR, 2WNR, 2WR, etc.), MCS dampers can handle rates up to, or even exceeding, 1000 lbf/in.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
MCS doesn't?
Not typically. Depending on the application (1WNR, 2WNR, 2WR, etc.), MCS dampers can handle rates up to, or even exceeding, 1000 lbf/in.
I think this is true. I will be running 550 front springs on the e92 M3 with singles and have been running 1000 front on the e46 M3 with triples. I don't think either were custom.
Appreciate 0