R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Multifunction steering wheel design?

Ok I have been driving this awesome car for 5 weeks and the object that I am in contact with the most is the steering wheel (seat and pedals too)! Something has been bothering and I couldn't put my finger on it until I looked at the pics of my old e46 MF steering wheel. they moved the audio controls from the left side to the right side of the steering wheel.

Now, if you are like most average drivers and use your less dominant hand (left hand) to hold the steering wheel, and the other on your stick shift (or DCT stick) (yes not supposed to do that on MT) I find myself having to constantly drive with two hands so I can change the volume, tracks or make calls...

Why on earth would they make that change? Did a leftie design the steering wheel? Maybe it was changed on the E92 but I skipped that generation. Curious if someone has some ideas as to why?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Yes, that could be a valid reason to get us lazy drivers to use both hands
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Wow, took you a long time to figure out that poor engineering design by BMW. Actually I have seen chatter on this in different threads. The design is stupid for a number of reason, not only the ones you pointed out very well but also the fact that the volume, track change, and iDrive controls are already controlled by your right hand, it doesn't make sense to have duplicative control on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

IMO they did a poor job of dividing and conquering the cockpit task load.

Maybe they should move the brake and the clutch pedal all the way over to right so we have to use our right foot for all three.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Actually now that you mention it, I guess that's one design reason why they stuck it in the right. So it is uniform, right hand controls iDrive and audio related functions in steering wheel. There are purists in industrial design and often it comes across stupid to us mortal users. Btw I noticed it the first week but wasn't sure until I looked at the pics.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Cabriolet

Garage List
Every car I've owned has had the audio controls on the right side of the steering wheel and cruise control buttons on the left, it actually seemed really strange to me that last gen BMWs had them the other way around.

I can't remember a time I've needed to shift gears and change the radio station at exactly the same time, so it's never really concerned me. =P
      08-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan ///M4 View Post
Every car I've owned has had the audio controls on the right side of the steering wheel and cruise control buttons on the left, it actually seemed really strange to me that last gen BMWs had them the other way around.

I can't remember a time I've needed to shift gears and change the radio station at exactly the same time, so it's never really concerned me. =P
Another scenario, is that you are coasting with one left hand on your steering wheel and want to change radio stations, tracks, call ... so w the audio controls on the right, you'll have to use right hand to do it. i am often in traffic and hit that scenario often, so now i obviously drive more often with both hands. i am not saying one way is better or that this is a major nuisance, just curious why they made the change.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Another scenario, is that you are coasting with one left hand on your steering wheel and want to change radio stations, tracks, call ... so w the audio controls on the right, you'll have to use right hand to do it. i am often in traffic and hit that scenario often, so now i obviously drive more often with both hands. i am not saying one way is better or that this is a major nuisance, just curious why they made the change.
It's a fair question. Looking around, it appears to be primarily Japanese cars that put the audio controls on the left ... maybe BMW just decided to go with a more standard NA/European layout? Or like you mentioned earlier, perhaps they're just tired of the bad BMW driver stereotype and are trying to force us to drive with both hands on the wheel.
      08-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Well, I think the whole point of steering wheel controls is that they are redundant, but put there so that the controls are right by your hands when you're driving with two hands on the wheel.

It looks like you have DCT... so if your right hand isn't on the wheel, what is it doing? Just sitting on the console? For the benefit of drivers like yourself, BMW has kept the original dash-mounted controls in place. Just grab the knob and turn it... You can keep driving with one hand.

Basically, just because they have a second set of controls on the wheel doesn't mean you HAVE to use them.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swancoat View Post
this is my first DCT, i drove an E46 with MT for 12 years prior to this, and my right hand then was resting on the stick shift or console, i know bad habit, putting "load" on the transmission.

As you outline, i end up half the time to use the knob or the preset buttons, but IMHO this is a distraction to look and reach out to those buttons, also the previously available next/prev buttons are now all the way to the right of the radio. Maybe they surveyed and found out people prefer the audio controls on the right side, and as you say, its redundant, so who cares where they are ?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan ///M4 View Post
... perhaps they're just tired of the bad BMW driver stereotype and are trying to force us to drive with both hands on the wheel.
lol its not just us BMW drivers, its most male drivers... left hand 11 o'clock, right hand not on steering wheel!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Curious if someone has some ideas as to why?
Your photos show you why they did that.

BMW moved the Cruise Control buttons and added some of the Driver Assistance features (F30) and the additional M button (F8x) to the left side of the steering wheel. They got rid of the CC old stalk and needed additional space for the buttons of new options.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Your photos show you why they did that.

BMW moved the Cruise Control buttons and added some of the Driver Assistance features (F30) and the additional M button (F8x) to the left side of the steering wheel. They got rid of the CC old stalk and needed additional space for the buttons of new options.
Not sure if I follow : there's exactly the same number of buttons on either side of the F8x steering wheel, no?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #13
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
this is my first DCT, i drove an E46 with MT for 12 years prior to this, and my right hand then was resting on the stick shift or console, i know bad habit, putting "load" on the transmission.

As you outline, i end up half the time to use the knob or the preset buttons, but IMHO this is a distraction to look and reach out to those buttons, also the previously available next/prev buttons are now all the way to the right of the radio. Maybe they surveyed and found out people prefer the audio controls on the right side, and as you say, its redundant, so who cares where they are ?
Sorry man, this whole thing is just ridiculous.

What kind of driving are you doing where you can't be so distracted to put your hand on the volume knob, but still feel the need to drive with one hand.

It's like you think this is some horrible design where you feel forced to put both hands on the wheel to change the VOLUME!!!! Just drive with two hands on the wheel, or do what everyone did before all these accessory controls moved to the steering wheel.

Good lord, what do you do if you're too hot, or too cold? There's NO controls for those on the steering wheel, and what are you supposed to do? Lift your 'cool hand' off the console to operate an HVAC control?!? This is crazy talk!!

If someone's keeping a list of most frivolous complaints, I'm nominating this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 10:35 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Not sure if I follow : there's exactly the same number of buttons on either side of the F8x steering wheel, no?
Read my post again: BMW eliminated the Cruise Control stalk and added additional driving features that require more buttons. Therefore, the old layout got to go.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I think after 12 years of having it one way, any change will require a little adjustment period.

On a side note, as much as I liked the E46, man the new steering wheel looks and feels so much better.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #16
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
I think after 12 years of having it one way, any change will require a little adjustment period.

On a side note, as much as I liked the E46, man the new steering wheel looks and feels so much better.
I don't think I'll get used to the new design! Funny just yesterday I thought of this and maybe if I can swap the buttons :

Although I didn't have an E46 M3, I did the DIY on my E46 325 for the M steering wheel that you see in the pic above. I think it is equally nice but it's a 2002/3 design so you can't compare it with a 2015 modern design.
Appreciate 0