Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Question on Lease with ED

Can someone post a lease break down on ED car. I have my order as a PCD but reconsidering changing that to ED if there's significant saving. I know there is if you purchase the car but does that apply to a lease since the money factor is a little higher. I will be in UK in July and can hop over to Germany.

Last edited by mad_max; 02-18-2016 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
faiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP SO/Amaro

You use the ED MSRP(95% of US MSRP) instead of US MSRP for calculation. The residual rates are the same. Options are the same price as US MSRP/Invoice. MF is 30 points higher AFAIK. IMHO, not worth the savings if you are LEASING. You also CANNOT do Port Installed Options(aka aerokit, MPE, etc). Also, dealers are less willing to give you a good deal aka "a certain amount over invoice" if you ED since they don't make as much money on EDs. You can ED AND PCD for the same car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Can someone post a lease break down on ED car. I have my order as a PCD but reconsidering changing that to ED if there's significant saving. I know there is if you purchase the car but does that apply to a lease since the money factor is a little higher. I will be in UK in July and hope over to Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
You use the ED MSRP(95% of US MSRP) instead of US MSRP for calculation. The residual rates are the same. Options are the same price as US MSRP/Invoice. MF is 30 points higher AFAIK. IMHO, not worth the savings if you are LEASING. You also CANNOT do Port Installed Options(aka aerokit, MPE, etc). Also, dealers are less willing to give you a good deal aka "a certain amount over invoice" if you ED since they don't make as much money on EDs. You can ED AND PCD for the same car though.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
bigsid05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 MG/SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz View Post
I found dealers to be much more willing to give a good deal - those that don't do many EDs are probably more likely to be in this boat. Negotiate off ED invoice for base + options and you can get a nice discount, especially if you're going to be near Germany anyway. The downside is that the lease does start a bit sooner and the MF is higher, but I found that dealers were much less willing to deal when it came to locally delivered cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsid05 View Post
but I found that dealers were much less willing to deal when it came to locally delivered cars.
Are you saying that dealers are more willing to deal on ED and less on local delivery? From my experience and reading what others have posted, Dealers are MUCH LESS willing to deal on an ED car. There are no holdbacks for ED cars.

As far as saving goes;
1. most incentives do not apply to to ED cars, for example . . fleet discount, driving events like drive for team USA, ultimate driving events that happen during the summer, or winter drive events.
2. Money factor is increased
3. discount recently dropped from 7% to 5%
4. Plus at the very least you need to buy a plane ticket and one night hotel to go to munich to sign for the car.
adding all of those things up, you could actually pay less for a car buying it stateside than getting it through ED
So for the saving alone, no it is not worth it. for the experience . . .i'll let you decide.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Don't forget that the 2nd lease payment is made by BMWFS since the car is in transit at that time.

If you are looking at doing an ED only for the cost savings though, you are looking at it wrong. At best you will probably break even with the cost of the trip itself. The point of ED is to take delivery of your brand new M in Munich at the BMW Welt and tour around Germany and Europe in it. That is an experience that is worth any extra hassle you might go through.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Don't forget that the 2nd lease payment is made by BMWFS since the car is in transit at that time.

If you are looking at doing an ED only for the cost savings though, you are looking at it wrong. At best you will probably break even with the cost of the trip itself. The point of ED is to take delivery of your brand new M in Munich at the BMW Welt and tour around Germany and Europe in it. That is an experience that is worth any extra hassle you might go through.
Exactly this. You technically CAN make out better doing an ED delivery if you minimize your expenses and trip duration. But, it's all about the experience. The savings on my F30 were sufficient to cover the cost of the trip for myself and my family. We're picking up my new F80 in April. It's essentially a free trip.

And, yes, the 2nd lease payment is covered by BMW. That's the reason for the escalated money factor.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Based on my math, it is a wash when all is said. The money factor is higher, you can't do UDE rebates, you start paying at least 2 weeks before your trip (so basically 2 weeks of non-use), and even though they pay the 2nd payment - you also must wait to re-receive the car. So even before counting tickets to get to Germany it's pretty much a wash. Do it for the experience, not for the savings.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Exactly this. You technically CAN make out better doing an ED delivery if you minimize your expenses and trip duration. But, it's all about the experience. The savings on my F30 were sufficient to cover the cost of the trip for myself and my family. We're picking up my new F80 in April. It's essentially a free trip.

And, yes, the 2nd lease payment is covered by BMW. That's the reason for the escalated money factor.
increased MF over the life of the lease is about one monthly payment and a half
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
The cost of doing Euro Delivery can vary depending on how you're getting your flights and hotels. In 2011 we did Euro Delivery on my wife's 335is Coupe. The price we paid, partly due to our CA screwing up the price and having to eat it, was less than $500 over Euro Invoice (current M3/M4s will be more). No incentives in effect at the time. We paid almost exactly $8,000 under US MSRP ($52,000 vs. $60,000).

We used points from our credit union Fly Miles Plus program so no cost there except for some taxes. We had a lot of hotel points and stayed mostly at Marriott and one Hilton hotel, staying only a total of four nights out of 14 nights in non-point hotels. We may have lost a little charm here and there, but we didn't pay much for our lodging and this allowed us to splurge a little for those four nights. Total expense for the trip was $3,200 out of pocket, including all meals, gas, tolls, vignettes, attraction admissions, etc., and that also included about $600 for various Xmas gifts for family and friends at Kathe Wolfahrt's in Rothenburg obT.

But as others have said, the reason to do Euro Delivery really shouldn't be whether or not you save a significant amount of money, it's all about the experience, and you have to place your own value on that. It you don't understand that, then Euro Delivery is not for you. For us it was priceless, we decided that it was not going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and we waited patiently until we could do it again. We thought that was going to be last year, but it's definitely happening again this year.

Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4
The cost of doing Euro Delivery can vary depending on how you're getting your flights and hotels. In 2011 we did Euro Delivery on my wife's 335is Coupe. The price we paid, partly due to our CA screwing up the price and having to eat it, was less than $500 over Euro Invoice (current M3/M4s will be more). No incentives in effect at the time. We paid almost exactly $8,000 under US MSRP ($52,000 vs. $60,000).

We used points from our credit union Fly Miles Plus program so no cost there except for some taxes. We had a lot of hotel points and stayed mostly at Marriott and one Hilton hotel, staying only a total of four nights out of 14 nights in non-point hotels. We may have lost a little charm here and there, but we didn't pay much for our lodging and this allowed us to splurge a little for those four nights. Total expense for the trip was $3,200 out of pocket, including all meals, gas, tolls, vignettes, attraction admissions, etc., and that also included about $600 for various Xmas gifts for family and friends at Kathe Wolfahrt's in Rothenburg obT.

But as others have said, the reason to do Euro Delivery really shouldn't be whether or not you save a significant amount of money, it's all about the experience, and you have to place your own value on that. It you don't understand that, then Euro Delivery is not for you. For us it was priceless, we decided that it was not going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and we waited patiently until we could do it again. We thought that was going to be last year, but it's definitely happening again this year.
OP is asking about a lease. Unfortunately there is no savings between the now only 5% additional reduction, increase in finance rate, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
OP is asking about a lease. Unfortunately there is no savings between the now only 5% additional reduction, increase in finance rate, etc.
And I'm saying it's not about the "savings", it's about the experience.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #13
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
And I'm saying it's not about the "savings", it's about the experience.
Don't disagree with your conclusion but you did mention in the first 2 paragraphs all the money you saved versus what you spent. Just clarifying that the financial equation works better on a buy versus a lease, which is what the OPs post was about.
Appreciate 0