BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
JPodo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i AW 6MT

Power window anti-trap function

Just got this warning today after window being frozen and not going down this morning. Now it's stuck in the door open position and won't move. It's and 09 and had a new window motor put in about 2 years ago. Does anyone have any tips or help resetting it? I have look it up and tried a few things but nothing is working!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
MSU135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Hey, I'm having this same problem. you ever find a fix? neither of my windows work.
      03-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

This procedure will reset the windows limits so that when you open the door the window will drop the 1/4 inch.

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, “Remember where we are now? ”

- Roll window back up, and release switch.

- Open door. Marvel at the downward motion of the window. Repeat on other side, if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
MSU135i
Registered
Rep

Yes, but the problem is they don't move at all
      03-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
JPodo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU135i View Post
Yes, but the problem is they don't move at all
Bmw replaced the motor and just said it was faulty. I asked what was wrong with it and they said they don't inspect it, just couldn't get it to respond and changed it. Then a week later it happened again with the same window and I took it back and then they replaced the frm module it's called I think. It is the module that controls the windows. When it's going bad it sends a slight current constantly until it burns the motor up, that's what their reason was. My car is an 09 and this will be the fourth window motor that has been in the car. Another thing I found said that it was a sensor called a hail sensor and the whole sensor needs replaced when it happens but there was never an answer in those posts. Mine happened when there was frost on the Windows and then when it de thawed it wouldn't respond.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
MSU135i
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the response. Same thing happened when my windows went bad, the bmw shop told me its either the motors or the footwell module. Might have to take it to the dealer have them deal with it. If you don't mind I ask, how much did it cost to have the module replaced? My dealer said new they are ~$530 just for the part.
      04-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
JPodo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Same thing happened when my windows went bad, the bmw shop told me its either the motors or the footwell module. Might have to take it to the dealer have them deal with it. If you don't mind I ask, how much did it cost to have the module replaced? My dealer said new they are ~$530 just for the part.
Yeah that's what they told me too but since I was having trouble with my drivers window why it was under warranty BMW paid 85%. I think the total cost with coding and stuff was like $850.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #8
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [10.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPodo
Quote:
Yeah that's what they told me too but since I was having trouble with my drivers window why it was under warranty BMW paid 85%. I think the total cost with coding and stuff was like $850.
If you had remaining factory warranty that should've been completely free. You may want to look into that.

Dealership in Delaware tried to do the same thing when my battery died randomly while under warranty. Just got to fight it a little otherwise the dealership is going to try and make a profit off of you.
      04-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
JPodo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
If you had remaining factory warranty that should've been completely free. You may want to look into that.

Dealership in Delaware tried to do the same thing when my battery died randomly while under warranty. Just got to fight it a little otherwise the dealership is going to try and make a profit off of you.
No it wasn't factory. Kinda a long story but we thought it was under the 2 year replacement part warranty, but the actual warranty on the window motor ran out when my factory warranty did. The dealer didn't realize till after the work was done so they said this new motor has no warranty cause they paid for it. Then a week later it did the same exact thing and stopped working. I called and since it was only a week they took it back with no questions (living an hour away makes it nice having to go back in the same week). They then found out it was that frm module and that's how the whole percentage thing happened.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Thanks highbrowed

Did a search, came up with this thread. Want to thank highbrowed for info above. After storage with battery out, windows would not drop the 1/4 inch when door opened. All good now.
Appreciate 0